Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 08:45 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times

Advertisements

TT 3 points and Aho two including the opening goal, but the big scoring news tonight? Faulk finally broke his scoring slump and potted not one but two into the opposing net. A good win headed into the short Christmas break.

Unless I'm wrong, thats it for playing Buffalo this year so no more standings points to get out of them. Now they're going to have to steal one, preferably two against the likes of Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Washington and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 04:37 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
TT 3 points and Aho two including the opening goal, but the big scoring news tonight? Faulk finally broke his scoring slump and potted not one but two into the opposing net. A good win headed into the short Christmas break.

Unless I'm wrong, thats it for playing Buffalo this year so no more standings points to get out of them. Now they're going to have to steal one, preferably two against the likes of Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Washington and so on.
Faulk's first goal was a really pretty play 2 on 1 with Aho. Aho deked Johnson until he committed to him and then made a perfect feed to Faulk.

2nd goal was vintage Faulk. An absolute bullet wrister.

Aho going at it with Okposo was great to watch.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...es/c-294338076

Dahlbeck is playing like he doesn't like being scratched.

Buffalo played Friday night, so we got to see their 2nd goalie.

Fun night at PNC. Happy crowd.
Canes need attendance, of course.
But, they have done poorly when they have had a decent crowd this year, and lost games with a lot of people in the house.
At 14,470 reported attendance, this was their biggest crowd to see a Home win since opening night.
That is the performance they need to bring people back, to put butts in the seats and $ell hot dogs and beer.

We saw Don Waddell in the concourse.
I asked him if he is excited at the prospect of new ownership.
"Yes. Fresh input, new ideas."
And, I believe he meant it.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM

Canes 3, Habs 1.

Both teams looked out of sync after the Christmas break.
Good win for the Canes, finding a way to win.
6-1 in the last 7.
And, another one with a nice crowd, 14,480.
Good enough to bring some of them back, I hope.

Game Summary

Wonder if we will see Darling in net either Friday or Saturday?
Ward looks like he wants to stay.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM

Great fun at PNC Arena tonight.
Loud crowd, and the Canes quieted down the thousands of Penguin fans in attendance. Much appreciated.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
The Penguins are having issues this season with not scoring goals, finesse passing, and camping out in the defense zone. They played better without Letang, who is out/benched for playing stupid.

The Penguins return to Raleigh Friday, 23 February.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The Penguins are having issues this season with not scoring goals, finesse passing, and camping out in the defense zone. They played better without Letang, who is out/benched for playing stupid.

The Penguins return to Raleigh Friday, 23 February.
I keep looking at other teams for weaknesses or excuses to take the edge off the Canes' winning ways, but the fact is...
They are beating NHL teams regularly lately.
7-2-1 in the last 10 games. Works for me.

I take the wins and celebrate them.
And, with 17975 butts in seats last night, the largest crowd since opening night, a win is huge in attendance support. I predict 11,000 for the Caps game on Tuesday, unfortunately.

We got a little help last night, as the NYR and NYI took 1 point total, and the Canes are breathing down their necks, a game in hand on each, and one point out of wild card.
St. Louis will be a test tonight, even though they are 3-7 in their last 10, and are traveling after also playing the second of a back to back themselves.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:53 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
That win last night was huge. Pittsburgh may be struggling but they're still the defending champs and a divisional opponent whom the Canes need to win in regulation against. They did that, now they need to start beating the rest of the division on a more consistent basis.

That Slavin goal that got reversed was really head-scracthing. I've seen much worse goaltender interference than that. Thankfully Sebastian Aho wasted no time and scored a goal that couldn't be challenged and nothing else mattered for the rest of the game.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
That win last night was huge. Pittsburgh may be struggling but they're still the defending champs and a divisional opponent whom the Canes need to win in regulation against. They did that, now they need to start beating the rest of the division on a more consistent basis.

That Slavin goal that got reversed was really head-scracthing. I've seen much worse goaltender interference than that. Thankfully Sebastian Aho wasted no time and scored a goal that couldn't be challenged and nothing else mattered for the rest of the game.
Charity for the defending champs.
It was just grand to see the Canes come back and stuff another one in the net.

That barn could be fun if playoff-starved fans start to feel like we really are players in the chase.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:00 AM

187 posts, read 803,437 times
Default Darling is a bust :(

Gotta say as a season ticket holder have been disappointed with Scott Darling this year. Just expected more I guess? Some of Canes losses can be attributed to still not pulling through in OT games. Also think there were a couple games in the first third of season where Bill Peters took too much of a chance by pulling goalies too early in one goal down games....but jeez Darling's let in some game losing softies and five holes this year that he totally should have saved. You think he'd be more motivated since Canes were just one game out of Wildcard before last night's loss. Hope they can regroup for the Capitals on Tuesday

Old 12-31-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
Gotta say as a season ticket holder have been disappointed with Scott Darling this year. Just expected more I guess? Some of Canes losses can be attributed to still not pulling through in OT games. Also think there were a couple games in the first third of season where Bill Peters took too much of a chance by pulling goalies too early in one goal down games....but jeez Darling's let in some game losing softies and five holes this year that he totally should have saved. You think he'd be more motivated since Canes were just one game out of Wildcard before last night's loss. Hope they can regroup for the Capitals on Tuesday
I don't like empty net in games where the Canes are giving up breakaways and odd man rushes. Easy loss at that point.

And, I think Darling was crowned successor before he earned the spot. Error in management and managing expectations.
Now, Ward is going to make him earn the spot, which is cool, but I would like to see him earn it and see Ward in net for less than half the season.
Endurance, etc.

I expect that last night's loss will cost the Canes 2 thousand ticket sales on Tuesday, and the Caps Fans will be a loud PITA at PNC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary