Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 08:26 AM

4,255 posts, read 4,679,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Not every road has to be designed to move as many cars as possible. The Hillsborough street design, along with other streetscape projects are great for businesses and enhance the walkability and liveliness of the area as opposed to if it was turned into another Wade or Western.

Also just looked it up, in 2007 - pre-Hillsborough Street project, Western Blvd saw 33,000 vehicles per day. In 2015, it increased to 36,000 vehicles per day - a modest increase that likely has more to do with population growth than Hillsborough Street. Wade Avenue was 29,000 in 2007 and 32,000 in 2015 so similar results there.
Problem is, linear increases in offered load don't result in linear increases in delays. Basic results of queueing theory. And let's see what the numbers are after the Hillsborough mayhem is completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,555,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Problem is, linear increases in offered load don't result in linear increases in delays. Basic results of queueing theory. And let's see what the numbers are after the Hillsborough mayhem is completed.
I'm pretty sure in those years - traffic would have been added to Wade or Western regardless. Have you noticed how downtown Raleigh has grown in the last few years? And many of those people still work out at RTP.

Regardless, the economic benefits of the Hillsborough Street, quality of life improvements for local residents are worth it alone, and I'm sure NC State doesn't mind as well. Since 2009, $308 million has been invested directly on Hillsborough Street and $1.2 billion in the area.

And do you really want the university to be surrounded by roads on all sides where students have to risk their life to cross the street like on Western? Phase 1 resulted in a 23% reduction in crashes and have made it safer for pedestrians since overall vehicle speeds are slower.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:28 PM

4,255 posts, read 4,679,240 times
What should have happened, but didn't, was cooperation between NCSU and the City before NCSU spilled over onto the south side of Western. If there had just been ways for vehicles and people to get from the north side of Western to the south side without a traffic light, things would be so much better today. Two such crossings, one near Gorman and the other near Avent Ferry, would have done the trick. Duke, Durham, and NCDOT got it right with the connection between East Campus and West Campus.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 16 days ago)

43,161 posts, read 76,751,962 times
Well, if Tom Dundon gets sick to his stomach at losing with poor effort, I suspect he is bedridden right now...

Looking for Di Giuseppe, Jooris, and Dahlbeck in the lineup on Tuesday.

Scratches?

Teravainen? With 41 points?
Rask?
Ryan?
Nordstrom?
Skinner?

Hanifin?
Faulk?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:00 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,154,302 times
Clean house from the top down.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Clean house from the top down.
Gonna be difficult to can the guys with their jerseys hanging in the rafters.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,688,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, if Tom Dundon gets sick to his stomach at losing with poor effort, I suspect he is bedridden right now...

Looking for Di Giuseppe, Jooris, and Dahlbeck in the lineup on Tuesday.

Scratches?

Teravainen? With 41 points?
Rask?
Ryan?
Nordstrom?
Skinner?

Hanifin?
Faulk?
The sound bite from Faulk makes me think he gets it, so my first inclination to send him to Charlotte gets tossed.

The young guys need to go down to Charlotte and play a few games down there. I would do a wholesale dump and reload. Everyone else in your list goes down to Charlotte for the next two weeks.

In doing so, we would likely be tossing away any playoff chances, but they are doing that on their own, anyhow.

Maybe getting them pissed off and feeling "disrespected" will be the kick in the pants they need.

Oh, and Faulk needs to be traded. He may get it, but understanding you need to play better only works when you put it into action. So far, this year, he hasn't. Trade him while he is still considered valuable.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The sound bite from Faulk makes me think he gets it, so my first inclination to send him to Charlotte gets tossed.

The young guys need to go down to Charlotte and play a few games down there. I would do a wholesale dump and reload. Everyone else in your list goes down to Charlotte for the next two weeks.

In doing so, we would likely be tossing away any playoff chances, but they are doing that on their own, anyhow.

Maybe getting them pissed off and feeling "disrespected" will be the kick in the pants they need.

Oh, and Faulk needs to be traded. He may get it, but understanding you need to play better only works when you put it into action. So far, this year, he hasn't. Trade him while he is still considered valuable.
Tear down is easy.
Rebuild? What is the plan?

Last year, and the year before, I said I would be glad to watch kids giving 110% effort and coming up short, rather than listless play by veterans.
I still feel exactly that way.
Anointing Scott Darling the starter before he ever put on the pads was a stone cold Management 101 error for sure.
You make people EARN their position, whether it is foreman in a plant, or NHL goalie.

And, the captaincy is a mess. Because we don't have a guy who was a natural standout leader, who would seize the role without question.
I have a lot of respect for Justin Williams. But, he isn't Roy Hobbs. Or, is he? If he is, he should be Captain.
I do doubt that he is "gently rocking..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo

Old 02-05-2018, 07:12 AM

LOL
Just had this cited as Spam and taken down from the Canes FB Page in a matter of minutes, and I don't feel nearly as miffed as most of the posters...

"Roy Hobbs? Calling Roy Hobbs!!!"
Time to separate the "gentle rockers" from the guys with fire in the belly who want to bring it every game, every day.
Young? Old? I don't care.
Urgency, hustle, and cojones? Yeah, baby. That's hockey, Baby. Bring it.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,688,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Tear down is easy.
Rebuild? What is the plan?

Last year, and the year before, I said I would be glad to watch kids giving 110% effort and coming up short, rather than listless play by veterans.
I still feel exactly that way.
Anointing Scott Darling the starter before he ever put on the pads was a stone cold Management 101 error for sure.
You make people EARN their position, whether it is foreman in a plant, or NHL goalie.

And, the captaincy is a mess. Because we don't have a guy who was a natural standout leader, who would seize the role without question.
I have a lot of respect for Justin Williams. But, he isn't Roy Hobbs. Or, is he? If he is, he should be Captain.
I do doubt that he is "gently rocking..."

I would love to tell you I know enough about the team to formulate a good plan...

Oh, what the hell, I'm a fan, so...

Trade one of Faulk/Hanifan in a package to get a quality, young player. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would be the type of player they should be in the market.

Finding high-energy players who can inject a little giddy-up into this team is paramount. If you can't find them at the trade deadline, go get them after the season in a trade or free agency. The Canes have plenty of cap room - now is the time to exercise some of it.

There are also a couple of interesting players at Charlotte. Bring them up and give them an audition.

Make Aho a center. If a trade for RNH could be made, having Aho as that second-line center could be awesome. Stahl could be a good third line - he's just out of place at the top of the order.

This would be a good start. The players have to feel like they have something to lose. At the moment, behind a history of failure, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary