Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
There's always next season.
Yeah. Yeah, there is.

With a new goalie.
And a firm implication from Ron Francis that we will see aggressiveness on gaining an offensive leader or two.
The free agent market should be worth watching in July.
And... Justin Williams just bought a house in Cary, although I am thinking planning for retirement at some point.

And...
Season ticket seat selection this week.
Draft Party 6/23.

This is one heckuva deal, particularly if you want to see hockey, but are a pessimist about playoffs:
Sideline (sections 101 & 107, rows V-XX) Full Season Ticket price: $1,997
Includes access to the Priority Lounge and Club Level

Exhibition Schedule:
https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/...le/c-289830308

With Reebok being replaced by Adidas, all Reebok stuff is on sale 50% off at The Eye.
Fees for putting names on jerseys are also discounted 50%.

So, I have a Lindholm and Skinner t-shirt now, and also a Skinner/53 black jersey coming.
Black will not be available right away with Adidas, so I got one.

Heartthrob gets an Aho/20 jersey. She is petite and needed a short name....
I will drag her out to the equipment sale, so she can see sweaty pads, and such.
https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/fans/summerfest
She has never been to Las Vegas, so we may have to go see the Golden Knights play. Looking forward to seeing the full season schedule so we can possibly plan a junket.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 06-12-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
The Hurricanes' American Hockey League affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, will have a new head coach. Ulf Samuelsson was hired out by the Chicago Blackhawks to be an assistant coach.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 AM

Head coach Bill Peters, assistant coaches Rod Brind'Amour and Steve Smith, and video coach Chris Huffine are returning for a fourth season. L.J. Scarpace, recently a video coach at the University of Michigan, has been hired to be the assistant video coach. Goaltending coach David Marcoux did not have his contract renewed. The position of goaltending coach remains vacant.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

The 2017-2018 season will be a make or break season for Bill Peters and his coaching staff. The Hurricanes have not qualified for postseason play for eight consecutive seasons. A slow start with a losing record may necessitate a coaching change.

The acquisition of Scott Darling from the Chicago Blackhawks will have Cam Ward competing for his job as the Hurricane's primary goaltender.

The Hurricanes will need to select a captain. They have not had a captain since Eric Staal, now with the Minnesota Wild, was traded to the New York Rangers in the 2015-2016 season.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
The 2017-2018 season will be a make or break season for Bill Peters and his coaching staff. The Hurricanes have not qualified for postseason play for eight consecutive seasons. A slow start with a losing record may necessitate a coaching change.

The acquisition of Scott Darling from the Chicago Blackhawks will have Cam Ward competing for his job as the Hurricane's primary goaltender.

The Hurricanes will need to select a captain. They have not had a captain since Eric Staal, now with the Minnesota Wild, was traded to the New York Rangers in the 2015-2016 season.
They won't really need to select a captain. Organizations in the past have played multiple seasons without a designated captain going with three alternates or even with rotating alternate captains (the Wild were infamous for doing this in the early '00s, for instance). Frankly, I think this is something that too much ado is being made about. I'd rather somebody step up and demonstrate they can be that guy than have the "C" slapped on their chest before they're really ready for it. IMO Eric got that too soon and he was never comfortable being the guy to the extent the organization wanted him to be. Heck, roll with six alternates next year and expand the pool to see who's ready. I think Skinner, Staal, Rask, Slavin, Faulk, and Pesce might be good options.

Also, the preseason schedule's already out.

I'm not wild about the neutral site game in Saskatoon. I'd much rather us play a preseason game in Charlotte or a suitable city in SC (Greenville or Charleston) in a move to build the brand locally.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Greenville (New York Rangers) and Charleston (Washington Capitals) would be good locations indeed if the Hurricanes faced the Rangers and Capitals in the preseason.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Yeah,
I am not crazy about the preseason schedule. I would like to see more home games preseason before the State Fair dislocation to start the regular season.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:08 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Justin Williams is a UFA, so it's conceivable he will play here. He made $3.25 million last season. He's age 35, but as Matt Cullen just proved, some players can be effective for many years after 35. (Others are not.) Williams scored 24 goals last season, and he's been very healthy since 2010. Seems like a good gamble.

Cory Stillman has also left the Canes. He'll be a minor league coach next season. Sergei Samsonov replaces him as Director of Forwards Development.

I like Saskatoon. If you go, note the elm trees on the highway from the airport into downtown. So far, Saskatoon has avoided Dutch Elm disease. Cities in the American south used to have elm trees everywhere. All gone now.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Justin Williams is a UFA, so it's conceivable he will play here. He made $3.25 million last season. He's age 35, but as Matt Cullen just proved, some players can be effective for many years after 35. (Others are not.) Williams scored 24 goals last season, and he's been very healthy since 2010. Seems like a good gamble.

Cory Stillman has also left the Canes. He'll be a minor league coach next season. Sergei Samsonov replaces him as Director of Forwards Development.

I like Saskatoon. If you go, note the elm trees on the highway from the airport into downtown. So far, Saskatoon has avoided Dutch Elm disease. Cities in the American south used to have elm trees everywhere. All gone now.
Justin Williams is a competitor, for sure.
And, of course, he played with Rod B. back when, so should have a good read on how he would "fit."

Wins faceoffs, too.

https://www.nhl.com/player/justin-williams-8468508

Old 06-12-2017, 06:26 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Like the Scott Darling pickup, now he has to prove he's ready for the #1 job.

Should Francis try dealing the #12 pick? I'm not really digging this draft after doing some research on it and I think we could get something more of value by trading this pick. We need proven forwards this offseason. How the hell did Philadelphia and New Jersey get the 1 and 2 spots? Grr

Quote:
I'm not wild about the neutral site game in Saskatoon. I'd much rather us play a preseason game in Charlotte or a suitable city in SC (Greenville or Charleston) in a move to build the brand locally.
I went to the game in Charlotte in 2011 and it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure why they haven't done another one, it makes more sense to, like you said, build the brand. This team isn't building any brands in Saskatoon. They'd be better off playing at PNC if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary