Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm crushed.

Sarcasm noted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
UNCTV has a great show called North Carolina Weekends on Thursday (and episodes available on their website) and it's a great place to find ideas for North Carolina day trips: UNC-TV

Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,533,793 times
Sylvan Heights Bird Center at Scotland Neck, NC is a great day trip. Under 100 miles - very impressive collection of birds from around the world. Nice informative staff at the park - stuff for kids to do -

Old 06-15-2017, 08:08 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC is a neat place to visit. While in that area check out some great NC BBQ
NC Transportation Museum - Home

Old 06-15-2017, 08:21 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC is a neat place to visit. While in that area check out some great NC BBQ
NC Transportation Museum - Home
Serious Portion: I've always wanted to visit there, I need to add it to my bucket list (but probably not until late Sept, or when it cools down.

Not-so-serious portion: Wrong direction for good bbq, might consider tacking that onto a visit to Eastern Carolina Village & Farm Museum 1840-1940 Home. ---- where you will find some "great NC BBQ

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
For those who don't know, if you live in Orange or Chatham County or work in Alamance County (in addition to residents of Alamance and other neighboring counties), you can join the Alamance County library for free . They have a program called a Zoom Pass where you can check out a pass for up to four people to go to the zoo, the transportation museum, Kidzu, the Greensboro Children's Museum, Life and Science Museum (this gets checked out first, it seems), as well as some local pools for free. My kids have been to the transportation museum, the zoo, and all the other museums several times already, but I'm planning on doing them each one more time this summer to fill in the cracks between camps and vacations.

https://www.alamancelibraries.org/lo...-library-card/

https://www.alamancelibraries.org/li...-pass-program/

Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
For those who don't know, if you live in Orange or Chatham County or work in Alamance County (in addition to residents of Alamance and other neighboring counties), you can join the Alamance County library for free . They have a program called a Zoom Pass where you can check out a pass for up to four people to go to the zoo, the transportation museum, Kidzu, the Greensboro Children's Museum, Life and Science Museum (this gets checked out first, it seems), as well as some local pools for free. My kids have been to the transportation museum, the zoo, and all the other museums several times already, but I'm planning on doing them each one more time this summer to fill in the cracks between camps and vacations.

https://www.alamancelibraries.org/lo...-library-card/

https://www.alamancelibraries.org/li...-pass-program/
This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know if Wake County has similar (or other hidden benefits)? I'm always amazed to find little nuggets from the Library or other muni/county services...

Thanks so much for posting this (even though I don't qualify)

Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting.

Does anyone know if Wake County has similar (or other hidden benefits)? I'm always amazed to find little nuggets from the Library or other muni/county services...

Thanks so much for posting this (even though I don't qualify)
I am always excited by these things, too. I love libraries! It was someone on here who alerted me to being able to check out a WiFi hotspot from the Orange County libraries. It is such an awesome perk! We check it out all the time for the kids to use to play Pokemon Go. We bring it on vacation with us to use in the car, and I brought it on my Girl Scout camping trip to the mountains (was great for maps/directions).
Wi Fi To Go

When I looked to see if any other local library had WiFi (they didn't), I found out that Chapel Hill Library checks out cameras and AV equipment from their Digital Media lab: Digital media lab - Chapel Hill Public Library Haven't tried that yet.

Just found out that Chapel Hill Lbrary no longer offers Ancestry.com. I used that all the time when I visited the library with my kids. Orange County libraries still have it, though.

Last edited by michgc; 06-15-2017 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
- Hanging Rock state park
- Wilmington
- Topsail Island

Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I wish this had been posted a few months ago. A day trip on the N&W 611
is incredible! They had several different excursions available. However it's done
now and I'm not sure they are going to do it any more?
A co-worker of mine volunteers aboard the 611, and yes, there are trips planned for this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary