Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,692,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Nextdoor is an app that requires someone to recommend you (as a neighbor) for joining. Ask your neighbors if they have heard of it. There are multiple user-generated zones, some of which may overlap, and once you "join" one you can interact with as many as you like in your broader area. Try checking out nextdoor.com. But beware, a lot of the postings are junk--"I saw a loose cat in my yard and I am afraid of cats, the nerve of people"
You can also verify your address with them to join. You don't need a referral anymore though. You just somehow have to show residency in that neighborhood. That's how I got on there at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 AM

16,346 posts, read 12,322,212 times
The problem with consignment is that you only get roughly 50% of the sale price (a bit more or less, depending on the store), and typically you're responsible for getting the furniture to the store, which usually means either renting a Uhaul and moving it yourself, or hiring a moving company. Also, they may not take everything you're looking to sell because they have limited space.

I had better luck by first posting to my friends on FB (they bought most of it, to be honest), listing a few things on the BSTs, and donating the rest to the TROSA thrift store for a tax write-off (they were handling my move, so they just loaded my donated items into the moving truck and dropped it at the thrift store for me after they completed my move).

Old 06-15-2017, 07:43 AM

569 posts, read 436,710 times
Go to nextdoor.com and set up an account and it will link you to your neighborhood plus many neighborhoods around within a certain geographic range. Then you can choose to post to only your neighborhood or to yours plus the others. You do need to verify your address which you can do by choosing to receive a phone call/text or a postcard in the mail with an access code.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,169,525 times
You should just sell on Craigslist. You just need to price knowing you will be low balled.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:27 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,857,514 times
When we moved here we sold a lot, and had to do it in a short amount of time. We used:
- Word of mouth
- FB groups - garage sale groups by location (FB allows to post to multiple groups simultaneously)
- Craigslist
- Two local sell sites (not in the US, but the US has these, I don't know the names)

It was a lot of work, each item or group of items = 4 postings and photo uploads, but you can cut & paste a lot of the content from one to the other.

We also did a garage sale, which doesn't work for big furniture if in an apartment complex like we were.

In hindsight we wished we did a series of open houses.

Flash forward to more recently and in our home town - a combination of FB groups and Craigslist got most of it sold.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:49 AM

11,193 posts, read 8,229,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I will 2nd Nextdoor. It has become the modern day Craigslist in my area with Classified postings outstripping neighborhood postings. In theory your buyers are identified and somewhat local. Low price things go quickly whereas more expensive things sit. We bought a Leather sofa/loveseat combination for $100 from someone moving (and it did have a few cat scratches). Our dog has more damage to it than the prior owner's cat did. May not be the best place to list if you want top dollar though. [Sounds like a good reason to never buy furniture new as it drops in value so quickly]
Couple things to add:
1. They are your neighbors, and not anonymous, so it cuts out a lot of the crap of CL
2. They are local, so if you have a truck or trailer, you can offer delivery within a range, and assume it will apply
3. You can make the craigslist add, put the price a little bit high, and then link that add and give a "neighbors only" special price.

I use CL and have crossed posted at least a couple things (with luck) on Nextdoor.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:38 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,391,523 times
I feel your pain. I have a nice dining set (not necessarily high end) on both Craigslist and Letgo. I need to clear out my dining room to start an at home organic bakery. I think I've had it listed on both sites with no success, other than those contacting me for questions. I'll eventually have to put it in storage or donate it in order to get the business started. I hate to pay storage fees or even get it away, really. I guess I'll leave it on Craigslist for the entire 45 days they allow.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM

19,372 posts, read 27,603,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2Monsanto View Post
I feel your pain. I have a nice dining set (not necessarily high end) on both Craigslist and Letgo. I need to clear out my dining room to start an at home organic bakery. I think I've had it listed on both sites with no success, other than those contacting me for questions. I'll eventually have to put it in storage or donate it in order to get the business started. I hate to pay storage fees or even get it away, really. I guess I'll leave it on Craigslist for the entire 45 days they allow.
Lower your price. And put it on Offer Upper- I get much more action on that app than LetGo. But the clear evidence is that your price is too high (like 90% of the other sellers, especially on CL.)

Good luck with your business.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 PM

714 posts, read 714,973 times
ANYTHING is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

You have to decide if your priority is to "recoup your investment" or get rid of stuff. I agree with the post about NextDoor. You will keep it local, less scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary