Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:26 AM

595 posts, read 673,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Restaurants, not cities. Others actually answered this for Japanese, interested still in the Chinese.
Check out Taipei 101 in Cary. The food is great. I first went there on the recommendation of two different friends, both born and raised in China. Another friend has told me that they have a separate menu only written in Chinese with many more truly authentic dishes, however I've never confirmed that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:30 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,858,198 times
More good info.

How about Cajun? I only know of The Big Easy.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 37,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
Another friend has told me that they have a separate menu only written in Chinese with many more truly authentic dishes, however I've never confirmed that myself.
I can confirm it. If you want authentic Chinese food, order from the Chinese-only menu... if you know what to order LoL

Old 06-16-2017, 11:12 AM

6,650 posts, read 5,544,459 times
Taipei Cafe, C&T Wok, and Banana Leaf are my favorite chinese/taiwanese places in that area (Cary/Morrisville)

Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,858,455 times
I'd take a decent Italian place.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,207,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Dante's Italiano in North Raleigh fits the bill for me. Reminds me of good Italian places up in NJ.

Oh yeah.. I heard somebody mention Chicago Style Pizza. I heard just today a Chicago Pizza spot in going in the old Oliver Twists Location in Brennan Station in North Hills.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 AM

22,621 posts, read 36,563,865 times
There's a Chinese place in Morrisville that my parents' Chinese neighbor took them to, on Chapel Hill Rd in that shopping center where Neo Monde is. Mom said it was excellent and neighbor did all the ordering.

There's an Ethiopian restaurant in Morrisville, don't know how good it is though.

Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM

810 posts, read 662,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
Raleigh itself likely does not have the population density to support all the ethnic variations the OP desires. Restaurants are extremely risky businesses that also require a significant investment to get up and running. There needs to be a predictable demand for the type of cuisine a restaurant offers. It helps immensely to have a healthy cohort of local immigrants of the country/region that would be native to or familiar with a particular ethnic cuisine. Otherwise, the restaurant is relying on the epicurean curiosity of the otherwise unfamiliar populace. That's often why food trucks are able to specialize in a particular ethnic cuisine, as they require considerably less of an investment than a bricks-and-mortar restaurant. And people are often willing to experiment with such offerings as well. Perhaps the new food hall referenced earlier in this thread will be the avenue that enables the diversity of cuisine the OP is looking for.
I agree with you that Raleigh per se doesn't have the grass roots support to sustain the diversity I crave and I guess it makes sense. Durham and Cary do round out the options a bit but that requires added driving time. Today I checked out Lucky's Deli in downtown Durham for a good Pastrami sandwich and some Matzo ball soup. It was pretty good but it took me almost an hour to get there. Just got me into thinking again why Raleigh can't have one kosher deli with all the Jews and New Yorkers that live here.

As for the food hall I know Niall Hanley personally. Great guy. Definitely a visionary. He's always been a "beer first" kinda guy so I don't have high expectations for diversity at the food hall. Rumor has it the Raleigh beer garden was originally going to be German themed with traditional German offerings (and spelled Biergarten). He was adamant, however, on a limited menu because he wanted the beer on draft to be center stage. An entire floor would be dedicated to North Carolina beer so the thought of German food with an IPA brewed in Fayetteville didn't make one want to grab an UBER. Anyway from a diversity perspective Raleigh already has empanadas, sushi, ice cream, pizza, tacos, etc. Curious to see what other names are thrown into the hat

Last edited by tailsock; 06-16-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM

269 posts, read 319,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Dante's Italiano in North Raleigh fits the bill for me. Reminds me of good Italian places up in NJ.

Oh yeah.. I heard somebody mention Chicago Style Pizza. I heard just today a Chicago Pizza spot in going in the old Oliver Twists Location in Brennan Station in North Hills.
That is great news, if true. I love the Chicago thin crust at Rosati's in Wake Forest but am always looking for a back up.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 3,323,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

While we are asking, I would like to know if there is an Italian Bakery anywhere in the Triangle??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary