Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:44 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,229 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when something is going to move in to the old Harris Teeter on Highway 54 in Durham (Homestead Market)? I walked over for lunch at the Mediterranean restaurant today and when I saw the old sign in the window saying Harris Teeter would be closing, I hadn't realized it's already been three years that it's vacant! Isn't this odd to have no action after all this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 02:56 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,055,774 times
Maybe a bad landlord that can't attract good tenants?

Old 06-18-2017, 04:53 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,176 times
Here's what I think would end up in this space:

Publix: (perhaps the most obvious guess) would fit almost perfectly in this spot. It's also across the street from a Kroger that does pretty good.

If Publix gets this building, they're likely going to gut it or tear it down

Lowe's Foods: (see description for Publix) although I think it would be a little less likely than Publix since they never invested much in Durham stores even when they were here.

Whole Foods: I don't know what metrics they use, but they could use a second Durham location here. Only thing is, it's about halfway between the (soon to open) West Cary store and the Chapel Hill store. It would also be odd seeing a Whole Foods and a Roses in the same shopping center.

Walmart Neighborhood Market: Because they'll try to put them anywhere, even if it doesn't make any sense location wise. It's a little oversized compared to the stores built from scratch, but it's still workable.

Non-Grocery:

Planet Fitness:
This particular chain likes to subdivide old supermarkets. As a matter of fact, the location that opened at Northgate is also in part of an old HT. If not, I can see another gym opening up here or Fitness World relocating from next door.

Hobby Lobby
It would be slightly undersized compared to a store that is scratch built, but Hobby Lobby is another chain that likes to set up shop in vacant supermarket spaces. Michael's is the only other artstore in the immediate are, so I can see Hobby Lobby siphoning business from them.

IMO, a few things that work against the spot at Homestead Market are (relative) lack of visibility, and the terribly lit parking lot (Not necessarily a fan of Sodium Vapor lights being used at a shopping center)

Off topic: Anyone remember when A&W used to be next-door to the old HT, or when McDonald's used to be at Woodcroft where KFC/Taco Bell are at now. ECKERD was also next-door, but closed shortly after the locations at 54/751 and Fayetteville/Woodcroft opened.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:51 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Does anyone know when something is going to move in to the old Harris Teeter on Highway 54 in Durham (Homestead Market)? I walked over for lunch at the Mediterranean restaurant today and when I saw the old sign in the window saying Harris Teeter would be closing, I hadn't realized it's already been three years that it's vacant! Isn't this odd to have no action after all this time?
Didn't they relocate to Hope Valley Commons?

Old 06-18-2017, 06:04 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

Publix: (perhaps the most obvious guess) would fit almost perfectly in this spot. It's also across the street from a Kroger that does pretty good.

Walmart Neighborhood Market: Because they'll try to put them anywhere, even if it doesn't make any sense location wise. It's a little oversized compared to the stores built from scratch, but it's still workable.

Non-Grocery:

Hobby Lobby
It would be slightly undersized compared to a store that is scratch built, but Hobby Lobby is another chain that likes to set up shop in vacant supermarket spaces. Michael's is the only other artstore in the immediate are, so I can see Hobby Lobby siphoning business from them.
Aa far as I know, Walmart and Publix have always built their stores new from the ground up. The building seems ripe for a Hobby Lobby to me.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,149,749 times
That Harris Teeter moved less then a mile away to a brand new location. Intersection of 54 and Hope Valley Road.

Address: 1125 W Nc Highway 54 Ste 310, Durham, NC 27707

Old 06-18-2017, 07:11 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post

Lowe's Foods: (see description for Publix) although I think it would be a little less likely than Publix since they never invested much in Durham stores even when they were here.

Whole Foods: I don't know what metrics they use, but they could use a second Durham location here. Only thing is, it's about halfway between the (soon to open) West Cary store and the Chapel Hill store. It would also be odd seeing a Whole Foods and a Roses in the same shopping center.

Random theory time...

I don't think you'll see a grocer in that space anytime soon. It'll likely be a non-grocer tenant if anything. I have the sneaking suspicion that Harris Teeter (or its parent Kroger) are still riding out the old lease on the vacant space and have just not cared enough or found a takeover tenant for it. Since Kroger is across the street and the company owns a Harris Teeter down the road, they don't really need (want) another grocer there.

When the HT moved down the street they could have done the numbers or their old lease on the vacant space could have been structured in a way that afforded them the means to do this, which appeased the overall landlord.

It's my running theory anyways. I could be 100% wrong.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Didn't they relocate to Hope Valley Commons?
Not exactly. That store opened in 2008. This store closed in 2014. It was closed following Kroger's purchase of Harris Teeter because it is across the street from a Kroger.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Random theory time...

I don't think you'll see a grocer in that space anytime soon. It'll likely be a non-grocer tenant if anything. I have the sneaking suspicion that Harris Teeter (or its parent Kroger) are still riding out the old lease on the vacant space and have just not cared enough or found a takeover tenant for it. Since Kroger is across the street and the company owns a Harris Teeter down the road, they don't really need (want) another grocer there.

When the HT moved down the street they could have done the numbers or their old lease on the vacant space could have been structured in a way that afforded them the means to do this, which appeased the overall landlord.

It's my running theory anyways. I could be 100% wrong.
http://www.providencegroup.com/prope..._HT/Aerial.pdf

Old 06-18-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Aa far as I know, Walmart and Publix have always built their stores new from the ground up. The building seems ripe for a Hobby Lobby to me.
Publix can either build new stores from the ground up, or they can gut existing buildings and renovate the interior to their standards. They've done this with a couple of Bi-Lo stores in Charlotte, and also the former Lowe's Foods in Cary

2/3 of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets in this area were previously occupied by another Supermarket. The third store was originally supposed to be a supermarket as well, but the supermarket left the market before the store even finished construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary