Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 PM

108 posts, read 494,429 times

Advertisements

This might sound like a silly question but I know they can be potentailly dangerous. If anyone has suggestions about where to buy, features to look for, installation tips, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 AM

223 posts, read 566,611 times
No advice for you except that I have heard of some home owner's insurance being cancelled or the cost hiked up for things like that on a person' property due to increased liability. One person was given 30 days notice to remove from property or they would have to pay a lot of extra money to insure it. Just an FYI and something to consider.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,444 times
Make sure you have one of the netting type trampoline enclosures.

other than that, I think they are great!

I saw on tv somewhere- maybe one of the HGTV shows- a family that had theirs in a giant hole in the ground! so the jumpy part of the trampoline was level with the ground. I'm not sure how they addressed drainage issues- I kept thinking it would become a mud pit down in the hole due to rain- but maybe they had some solution to it that we couldn't see? IF so- very cool idea!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:27 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I think it would be outstanding to have the trampoline right beside the front porch, so I could climb out a window onto the porch roof and jump to the trampoline.

I haven't figured out the landing part yet.
Hmmmm...
Maybe the back porch, and a nice inground pool beside the trampoline?
I like it!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:54 AM

116 posts, read 471,937 times
Definately get one of the net enclosures, they can be very dangerous without one. Other than that, they are great fun and great excercise. We had one for many years when the kids were younger, never had any insurance issues.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
You should check with your insurance first. Ours has a very unrealistic guideline that most don't follow. Bottom line is that when you leave your home, you must disassemble the trampoline (in case someone's kid wanders into YOUR yard and hurts themselves on it).

We bought ours on craigslist and it was worth every penny. It has a safety net enclosure and it is the reason we bought one. Neighbors up the street had no safety net and my kids were always wanting to go jump on it, which made me nervous so we got a "safer" one.

We also have rules like no jumping without an adult watching and no more than 5-6 kids depending on their size/roughness, no flips when there are more than 2 or 3 kids, etc. We have ours near the back of the house (you can't really see it from the street) so we can sit on the deck and watch the kids.

My kids are outdoor, active kids anyhow but they are on the trampoline daily. Great exercise and fun.....for the parents too!

My family was so against a trampoline as we have Drs who did ER stints and they say that they've seen alot of injuries from them. But I think that as with anything, as long as there are rules and supervision - all should be well. So far its been great for us. That net saved us a few times where someone would have gone flying and definately broken something.
Lauren

Old 03-11-2008, 06:42 AM

836 posts, read 3,469,718 times
THe house we bought had a trampoline and our insurance company made us remove it or they wouldn't insure us.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,676 times
Our next door neighbors built a very solid frame for theirs to keep it level. They used a ladder to get in and took it away when no adults were around, and it would have been pretty hard for even a bigger kid to vault in without the ladder. The new neighbors have built cinder block steps going up to the trampoline and I think that is a really bad idea! They have the full netting, and the old neighbors limited the trampoline to a max of 3 kids and had them trained to stop bouncing the minute they said "red light."

Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
I had a trampoline when I was in high school and hubby broke his arm on it.

So...of course we HAD to buy our kids a trampoline! I must say, my 14 year old uses it daily. She loves sitting out there and doing her homework. And of course, her friends love it. A few years ago, one of her friends broke her finger on it!

So...its not the safest thing but it does appear to be the most used "toy" my kids ever had. Ours is going on 14 years and as soon as daughter is done with it, its gone!

Vicki

Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,235 times
If you have trouble with insurance, then try another company. I just went through this with a diving board. To me, a pool is safer with a diving board because it gives you a "safe" place to dive, vs. people diving in where they shouldn't. I talked to one company that said they wouldn't insure a house with a diving board at all, and others that didn't even care if I had a pool, diving board, whatever. I would never have a trampoline because to me they are way to dangerous, but that's just my opinion. Try other insurance companies if one gives you trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary