Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:18 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

there are numerous opportunities to buy, but yes, most of them are in Durham County. a quick google search told me there are 3+ Montessori schools within minutes of UNC-CH, including 1 that takes kids all day as young as 1 yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Hslade, for what it's worth because you're new to the Triangle forums. CapitalBlvd historically posts commentary on here that is anti-transplant, when he himself is one. He hates change and doesn't want people moving here.

Do what's right for you and welcome to the Triangle forums.
I came 28 years ago from New Orleans and tell things like I see them.

I'd hate to see a nice family like yours make a big mistake and wind up destitute in a state with almost no safety net.

A lot of the happy transplants came from high cost areas and have high paying skills. If this does not fit your situation, do not let yourself be fooled.

We live in a decent 2 BR flat in a moderate income diverse neighborhood in North Raleigh. Rent is $1115 plus all utilities. Pet fees, if this concerns you, are not refundable and cost us $350 for 2 indoor cats plus $40/monthly pet rent.

Childcare and private schools are not a bargain in this area.

You may be better off where you are unless you meet the income qualifications to live well here.

Places like Chapel Hill and the private schools you mentioned are way beyond my salary when I was a US Government IT manager.

I only want to help you. I've been through hell in a layoff in Louisiana where we were a few weeks from a homeless shelter.

Many of those who urge you to just run here on a dream are not thinking about your family.

Years ago, I hopped in my 64 Corvette to leave NYC for Los Angeles but was single and had only myself to consider.

Keep your family in mind and make sure your decision to relocate will work.

I do wish you the best. I am not the monster some people call me.

Last edited by CapitalBlvd; 06-25-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Keep your family in mind and make sure your decision to relocate will work.

I do wish you the best. I am not the monster some people call me.
CapitalBlvd, I don't think anyone here thinks you are a "monster". I will say that you are an abject pessimist, and possibly a bitter person. I am confident that other members here would agree.

And perhaps you have a background and personal experiences that created that response.

But to reflect that back to virtually everyone that is considering relovation to The Triangle is unrealistic. MANY, MANY people have relocated here, and live comfortable, fulfilled, happy lives. I'd guess THAT is the experience of most of the transplants.

I'll also point our that it appears that the OP absolutely "keeping her family in mind." She us moving here to obtain her master's degree which presumably will increase her income range. She has taken the time to research private schools for her children AND done whatever is required to get financial aid from that school. Frankly, I think your attitude is WAY off base with this potential transplants.

PS - CapitalBlvd, if you want to see some really off the wall dreamers who are trying to relocate, head over to the Phoenix forum.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:14 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,595,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

PS - CapitalBlvd, if you want to see some really off the wall dreamers who are trying to relocate, head over to the Phoenix forum.
JK, I think your Triangle transplant experience is the experience of most.

The true dreamers are those who think Alaska is the end all, be all for them. That somehow they will make due like no others before them. I have seen it over and over again. Moving up to Alaska with nothing and heading back with even less.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:25 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
CapitalBlvd, I don't think anyone here thinks you are a "monster". I will say that you are an abject pessimist, and possibly a bitter person. I am confident that other members here would agree.
I'd agree with that. I don't think CapitalBlvd is a monster, he's just so negative all the time that it's hard to take anything seriously that he says on here anymore, regardless of content. Every time I see the name attached to a post my mind automatically goes into "oh no this crap again" mode.

We all get dealt different hands in life and we all struggle with various things. That said, constantly projecting a negative diatribe because of that won't make you many friends. Projecting your own struggles into what seems like every single post just makes for a negative tone.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:25 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I'd hate to see a nice family like yours make a big mistake and wind up destitute in a state with almost no safety net.

You have no idea if they're a nice family or not. (sorry OP)

She's coming to UNC for grad school - hardly a track to poverty.

Why don't you give it a rest, and unless a person says something like "I was thinking of moving to the Triangle but I'm a loser who can't support myself and have no intentions of changing that", lay off the welfare state mullarkey?

The fact that YOU'RE victimizing yourself in this thread is all the proof the OP probably needs to ignore you (hopefully).

When someone like the OP WHO IS ALREADY ON THEIR WAY TO MOVING here posts, it is TOTALLY not helpful to try to dissuade them. In fact it begs the question if you're even reading the post, or just the headline.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
OP take what people say on here with a grain of salt. YES, home values in the more desirable areas have gone up, but they've gone up around the country (FL & CA are some of the worst!). But outside of the hot areas homes are extremely reasonable especially if you aren't picky and don't watch too much HGTV. Saying homes at a price point are total dumps is a completely subjective statement - what isn't acceptable to one person may be luxurious for another. Don't be discouraged by the naysayers.

I'm not sure I would recommend purchasing a house here for just going to school. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems a little too "cart before the horse". Maybe not, it could pay off.

I honestly believe this is still one of the BEST places in the US to live in terms of home value vs jobs available. Our economy is multi-faceted which is why we moved here in the first place - healthcare, biotech, IT/tech, governmental (state capital), higher education (more than a few "name brand" schools), etc. the list goes on. It's why the area will continue to grow for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by wheelsup; 06-25-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 9,244 times
Thank you everyone!

My husband is a welder, and currently travels 6 months out of the year for shutdown work, working 12-14 hrs a day 7 days a week. We live off of this 6 months of income, and he volunteers at children's home the other 6 months of the year. I work part time at a montessori school and this plus my school discount allows my children to go to the same school for free. The plan for all our other expenses once we move is basically my hubby will continue to travel, but will also find a job in town the other 6 months out of the year instead of volunteering. I will not be working during the school year, but I have talked with a montessori school in Chapel Hill that would give us a discount for my daughter attending during the school year, if i work their as a head teacher during the summer programs. We have not yet visited the montessori though so we are not 100% sure if we will go this route. My son is getting financial aid to go to waldorph and I am receiving a private merit based scholarship to attend UNC. So most of our other monetary worries are announced for, i am strictly worried about housing.

We will be coming up for a visit at the end of August, and I was hoping to have a list of areas to check out while we are up there, since we will only be there for 3 days and therefore don't have a ton of time to do any in depth research.

I have looked at Mebane and Hillsborough before, but i was worried that they were a little too far away from UNC. From what i can tell from y'all, hillsborough is good but mebane night indeed be a little too far. I looked at Woodcroft and I love it! A couple rental townhomes there are in our price range so that's promising. The homes are a little big for our liking from what i can see online, we would prefer a smaller place to live if we were to buy. 900-1400 sqft would be perfect. Also like the central location. Are there any neighborhoods similar to Woodcroft?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:19 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hslade View Post
Thank you everyone!

My husband is a welder, and currently travels 6 months out of the year for shutdown work, working 12-14 hrs a day 7 days a week. We live off of this 6 months of income, and he volunteers at children's home the other 6 months of the year. I work part time at a montessori school and this plus my school discount allows my children to go to the same school for free. The plan for all our other expenses once we move is basically my hubby will continue to travel, but will also find a job in town the other 6 months out of the year instead of volunteering. I will not be working during the school year, but I have talked with a montessori school in Chapel Hill that would give us a discount for my daughter attending during the school year, if i work their as a head teacher during the summer programs. We have not yet visited the montessori though so we are not 100% sure if we will go this route. My son is getting financial aid to go to waldorph and I am receiving a private merit based scholarship to attend UNC. So most of our other monetary worries are announced for, i am strictly worried about housing.

We will be coming up for a visit at the end of August, and I was hoping to have a list of areas to check out while we are up there, since we will only be there for 3 days and therefore don't have a ton of time to do any in depth research.

I have looked at Mebane and Hillsborough before, but i was worried that they were a little too far away from UNC. From what i can tell from y'all, hillsborough is good but mebane night indeed be a little too far. I looked at Woodcroft and I love it! A couple rental townhomes there are in our price range so that's promising. The homes are a little big for our liking from what i can see online, we would prefer a smaller place to live if we were to buy. 900-1400 sqft would be perfect. Also like the central location. Are there any neighborhoods similar to Woodcroft?
Sounds like you have your ducks in order for success here.

With the bonuses you will get, you should be able to find affordable tuition and schools for your family.

I was exploring all areas just to be sure you were on track.

Welcome to NC.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:23 PM

714 posts, read 721,165 times
You might also look at Pittsboro, though with the new Chatham Park development, housing is going up there too. There are a couple of homes available in the oldest section of Fearrington in the $200-$250K range, and some townhouses, but in that $160K range you're looking at a "manufactured home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary