Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM

53 posts, read 41,870 times

Advertisements

I plan on having my house listed on the MLS in the spring and and would like the opinion of any agents on here.

The home that I am selling is a single story slab home that's very accessible under $250k completely upgraded - New cabinets, granite, laminate, new roof, new tankless etc. located in a desirable area within Cary. During the spring, I've seen homes in the neighborhood sell within a couple days with multiple offers at or above asking price.

I simply can't justify paying a listing agent anything or a buyers agent even 2%-3% considering the current inventory shortage and how quickly and easily these homes sell. I understand that most agents don't want to show FSBO homes or deal with FSBO sellers because they are viewed as inexperienced and there's usually is nothing in it for them.

Seriously, considering the current market, what's a fair commission that will entice agents to show my house?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times

You go first.
What would YOU consider fair?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:04 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
why don't you just list your house for 3% higher and then offer the buyer's agent 3% of the cut? With the inventory shortage and how quickly houses are selling, it seems it could be something that would fly (assuming it'll appraise)

Old 07-05-2017, 08:24 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Honestly, there are a lot of homes that sit on the market due to bad listing too, so I think it's worth the commission to make sure your home sells as quickly as possible unless you're not in a rush to move.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

You go first.
What would YOU consider fair?
At 2.5% it will cost me around $6K. Let's say that you work under a broker on a 50/50 split. That's a $3k commission check which in my opinion is a pretty good payday considering the house is already sold to the buyer before you even show it to them.

That being said, a 1% commission would yield around $2,500 or $1,250 to the agent which to me is fair.

Now, assuming that you are dealing with a seller who understands the process and is not unreasonable, from start to finish, on average how many hours would you have into such a transaction in todays market?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
why don't you just list your house for 3% higher and then offer the buyer's agent 3% of the cut? With the inventory shortage and how quickly houses are selling, it seems it could be something that would fly (assuming it'll appraise)
I could go this route but would like to price it competitively so that it will move and would have concerns about the appraisal coming back at or above the selling price.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:30 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
I sold my house last June. I multiple offers on the first day, all well above what I was originally planning to list at (which more than covered her commission) ... largely BECAUSE of everything the listing agent did for me. And that doesn't even take into consideration all the assistance she provided after we went under contract. Personally, I wouldn't dream of trying to sell without a listing agent.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:35 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Why not do FSBO with a 1000 agent bonus if they bring you a buyer?
You can always see how that works for a few weeks and rethink it.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Honestly, there are a lot of homes that sit on the market due to bad listing too, so I think it's worth the commission to make sure your home sells as quickly as possible unless you're not in a rush to move.
I agree. Hiring an agent to list a property is a smart move for most who don't have the time or ability to do so.

If you are able to clean up your home, hire a professional to take photos, write appealing ad, pay to have it listed on the MLS, understand disclosures, hire an attorney and are willing to represent yourself in negotiation, it can be done.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I sold my house last June. I multiple offers on the first day, all well above what I was originally planning to list at (which more than covered her commission) ... largely BECAUSE of everything the listing agent did for me. And that doesn't even take into consideration all the assistance she provided after we went under contract. Personally, I wouldn't dream of trying to sell without a listing agent.
That's great! I'm glad to hear that you found an such a great agent to list and sell your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary