Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 35,178 times

Advertisements

Hello
My name is Stephanie we currently live in Conneticut, my husband has an opportunity for a job transfer to Raleigh. I have family in Mclain VA, and New Bern, NC.
Our delema is, we have 4 children, one of which is adopted. She is biracial, african american and caucasion. She is 10 years old and is a loving, cheerful, sensitive child. We adopted her when she was two weeks old.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about racism down in Raleigh. Its a hard question to ask because its a touchy subject. I just want to make sure she is going to be ok. She would be devasted to experience anything like that, as she never has. We just want to make sure we research as much as possible before we accept the transfer and make the move.
One of my friends gave me this website and told me to give it a try. Any information anyone could give me would be appreciated.
Thank You
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephp4 View Post
Hello
My name is Stephanie we currently live in Conneticut, my husband has an opportunity for a job transfer to Raleigh. I have family in Mclain VA, and New Bern, NC.
Our delema is, we have 4 children, one of which is adopted. She is biracial, african american and caucasion. She is 10 years old and is a loving, cheerful, sensitive child. We adopted her when she was two weeks old.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about racism down in Raleigh. Its a hard question to ask because its a touchy subject. I just want to make sure she is going to be ok. She would be devasted to experience anything like that, as she never has. We just want to make sure we research as much as possible before we accept the transfer and make the move.
One of my friends gave me this website and told me to give it a try. Any information anyone could give me would be appreciated.
Thank You
Stephanie
Raleigh and durham are fairly diverse areas.

I've never encountered anyone who had any problems.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,182,444 times
I've heard some issues in the outlying areas, but my part of North Raleigh is totally diverse.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 35,178 times
What part of North Raleigh? Just out of curiosity. We will be visiting to look at the comminity living. I'd like that for my family. My husband would be based right out of Raleigh.
Thanks for the help

Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,763,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephp4 View Post
Hello
Thank You
Stephanie
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the environs are a fairly educated population and diverse. You will encounter people from all over the world. Thus it feels to me to be generally a place that accepts people of all races and backgrounds. Of course I see the world through my caucasion lense, but one of the reason we picked Durham was for diversity.

I would try posting this question on Trianglemommies too. I bet you'll find others with biracial children who can give you first hand experience.

Good luck with your research. I hope you find an area here that you can call home!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,615,721 times
If you want diversity, live anywhere within 20 minutes drive of RTP. The high tech companies attract people from all over the world. I work with Indians, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Middle Easterners, Swedes, Finns, Canadians, Germans, Yankees, Hippies, Texans. . . . oh. . . and one or two native North Carolinans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary