Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 03:24 AM

43,045 posts, read 76,570,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco_Kid View Post
Wow, amazing feedback everyone. Thanks. Now I'm more confused than ever before.

Any good luxury apartments in Morrisville? Has to be a quiet neighborhood with no dogs barking or no construction around. I was going to book with The Bristol but they seem to be having construction a building over and someone said it was 18 month long construction. So glad I didn't sign up there.
If you want to avoid noise like dogs or construction, you may also want to consider overhead air traffic noise throughout most of Morrisville.

I would look at the Apartments at the Arboreteum in Cary, but very close to Morrisville.
Bonus:
Minimal air traffic noise.
Bonus:
Walk out the door to eat and drink.

Apartments in Cary NC | Luxury Apartments at the Arboretum

Again, in Cary:
The Bradford.
But, you may want to check out the new homes that are going in on the east side, to see if they are close enough that they will deliver unwanted construction noise.
Apartments in Cary, NC | Bradford | Luxury Apts & Townhomes

And, maybe The Meridian in Cary.
Meridian at Harrison Pointe | Apartments in Cary, NC

Again, minimal air traffic noise. Good location with conveniences just steps away.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:49 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Happy 4th of July!

I have been thinking about moving to Morrisville, NC on rent in couple of months. I have been to Cary and Morrisville a few times. The reason for my move is the same as most people. Cheaper overall compared to North NJ and in North NJ I can only find houses built in 70s or 80s for around 300-400k with tons of property tax. At least, in Morrisville/Cary I can buy a brand new townhome for 250-300k and pay it off quick.

Any people out there who have left family and friends behinds to move to NC? How was your experience?

Also some other questions below:

School system in Morrisville (pre-school)?
Things to do on weekends?
Are there malls?
Is Harris Teeter like shop rite?
Hospitals?
Racism in NC? I've heard it is on the rise but may be rumors as I haven't witnessed it myself when I was there.
Good pizza spots?
Will I really save money there compared to here? Gas, food, car insurance? etc
Will RTP turn into a Technology hub in the future? How is it progressing?
You can look up Harris Teeter online for their flyer. There are 2 of them in Delaware on Delmarva.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Sure does. Many transplants coming here without proper impact fees are forcing taxes to go up regularly.
Are you willing to pay an impact fee? All these junk apartment buildings going up are because of cheap transplants who won't buy a house and contribute to the tax base.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:47 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,388,192 times
Impact fee? Not sure what that is. in the [quote=twingles;48732059]Are you willing to pay an impact fee? All these junk apartment buildings going up are because of cheap transplants who won't buy a house and contribute to the tax b

Old 07-05-2017, 08:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,315,546 times
Quote:
Impact fee? Not sure what that is. in the Are you willing to pay an impact fee? All these junk apartment buildings going up are because of cheap transplants who won't buy a house and contribute to the tax b
Inside joke. Don't worry about it.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,388,192 times
Thank you Mike. Really helpful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you want to avoid noise like dogs or construction, you may also want to consider overhead air traffic noise throughout most of Morrisville.

I would look at the Apartments at the Arboreteum in Cary, but very close to Morrisville.
Bonus:
Minimal air traffic noise.
Bonus:
Walk out the door to eat and drink.

Apartments in Cary NC | Luxury Apartments at the Arboretum

Again, in Cary:
The Bradford.
But, you may want to check out the new homes that are going in on the east side, to see if they are close enough that they will deliver unwanted construction noise.
Apartments in Cary, NC | Bradford | Luxury Apts & Townhomes

And, maybe The Meridian in Cary.
Meridian at Harrison Pointe | Apartments in Cary, NC

Again, minimal air traffic noise. Good location with conveniences just steps away.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:02 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,540,947 times
[quote=Cisco_Kid;48732974]Impact fee? Not sure what that is. in the
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Are you willing to pay an impact fee? All these junk apartment buildings going up are because of cheap transplants who won't buy a house and contribute to the tax b
Sorry OP I was addressing CapitalBlvd. Sorry he got your thread so derailed. Good luck with your move if you decide to make it. I think most people can be happy here if they know what they want and understand no place is nirvana. You will even find people who are planning to move from the area on this board, but have enjoyed their time here. No place is perfect, or maybe it's perfect for a certain time in your life and then you move on. If you come here with that understanding you will be fine.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:56 AM

714 posts, read 714,657 times
Quote:
Hello all,
Any people out there who have left family and friends behinds to move to NC? How was your experience?

Also some other questions below:

School system in Morrisville (pre-school)?
Things to do on weekends?
Are there malls?
Is Harris Teeter like shop rite?
Hospitals?
Racism in NC? I've heard it is on the rise but may be rumors as I haven't witnessed it myself when I was there.
Good pizza spots?
Will I really save money there compared to here? Gas, food, car insurance? etc
Will RTP turn into a Technology hub in the future? How is it progressing?
I moved from Bergen County NJ to Durham a year and a half ago. I suspect I am older than you so my experience may not be yours. I love it here. I've found people to be friendly, smart, and interesting and have developed a new social circle in very little time. You will find increasingly that your life is here, not in NJ. I still have friends in NJ but I only go up there twice a year and it is just not the same. I encourage you if you do move to the area to get out and meet people and not stay stuck in your social life that is now 500 miles away. It is kind of sad to not be as close to my old friends, but it is inevitable.

There are a lot of Meetup groups here for just about any interest you might have. If this is your thing, we have a really nice Mets fans meetup here. I know it's nice because I'm the organizer. (:-D)

Morrisville isn't a hotbed of weekend activities. If you don't mind driving a bit (and I don't...I drove an hour or more out I-80 to work everyday so to me it's not a big deal) there is a LOT of cultural life in the triangle. If you like jam/roots music/Americana/folk there's a lot of live music. Right in Morrisville there is a great Irish pub called Trali that has traditional Irish music sessions a couple of times a month. In Morrisville you are about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour from Raleigh or Durham. There are Broadway road companies, farmers markets, festivals, art museums, comedy shows -- pretty much anything you want. If you were a big NYC-goer, it will be different. But with Manhattan sucking up the entire cultural life of the metro area, I have found more things I like to do for less money here -- and I can be home from them in 20 minutes.

YES there are malls. Most of them are strip malls. Southpoint in Durham is a big one, and Crabtree Valley is a big mall in Raleigh. These are Paramus-type malls.

You will find that supermarkets are more expensive here than in northern NJ. I can only speak for my area of SW Durham, but for "middle of the store" stuff like cat food I go to Food Lion. Harris Teeter is probably more like Stop & Shop. There are a LOT of places to get groceries around here. There is a newish Publix in Cary and a Wegmans is (I think) coming. I think the German chain Lidl is opening in Cary too. Here in SW Durham I have Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Aldi and Target within 2 miles, and Trader Joe's (a must for me) is in Chapel Hill. I even get shelf-stable goods at Target occasionally; their prices are good on some things. Whole Paycheck is also in the area and a few Fresh Markets which are nothing special.

One thing you will need to get used to is that good deli is a thing of the past if you move here. I don't know where you are in northern NJ, but the Shop-Rites in Fairfield/Parsippany and the one in Rochelle Park are fantastic for deli. You won't find that here. Supermarket delis here are Variations On a Theme By Ham And Ersatz Turkey. When I want deli turkey I go to Costco and get the Kirkland. If I want corned beef I buy one at Aldi and cook it myself. Also: There are no diners here, at least not in the sense of places owned by Greeks with 20-page menus that are open 24 hours a day. There are a lot of breakfast/lunch places that close by 2 or 3 PM.

Regarding hospitals: You have two large university hospitals (UNC and Duke) within a reasonable distance as well as Wake Med.

I can't speak to the racism issue because I am white, but my experience here vs. northern NJ is that at least in the Triangle, there is more diversity. Northern NJ was far more segregated in my part of Bergen County than it is here. People of different races interact in every day life far more here than there.

You will not find NJ pizza here. What I mean by NJ pizza is that sodden, doughy, greasy, oil-dripping cheap-cheese mess that is part and parcel of life in NJ. I find the grab-and-go pizzas at Harris Teeter to be perfectly acceptable and there are places around where you can get really good Neapolitan brick oven pizza (like TreForni in Durham).

Your property taxes will be a LOT less than in northern NJ. I was paying $8000/year in Township of Washington -- a poorly-run town with NO services. Here I am paying a little over $3000 on a $270K 3-bedroom 2.5 bath center hall Colonial on 1/3 acre. And I live in the HIGH tax part of Durham. Car insurance is a little less (few hundred a year). Restaurants are comparable, I think. Now one thing to keep in mind is that sales tax is 7.5% and there is a 2% tax on food groceries. There is also a property tax on your car that can be in the mid-hundreds depending on the value and age of your car.

Not sure what your health insurance situation is but there is no state exchange here and only one provider -- BC/BS of North Carolina. Emphasis on the "BS." Without subsidy premiums are $900-$1400/month for an individual policy plus ridiculously high deductibles and out of pocket maximums.

RTP has BEEN a technology hub, but how long it will stay that way is anyone's guess. The GOP legislature is doing everything it can to gut the public school and university systems, as well as environmental legislation. This area will be livable as long as the lunatics in Raleigh let the Triangle be the Triangle. That remains to be seen.

I know this is long but I wanted to share my experience and view as a former denizen of the "You-Wanna-Piece-o-me?" state. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by hackwriter; 07-08-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 05:49 PM

54 posts, read 50,156 times
We moved from a tiny NJ borough outside of Manhattan to Chapel Hill two years ago. The whole family is thriving here. Aside from the savings ( car and house insurance has drastically declined, property tax is no longer $25K, no commuting costs) we have found the lack of 'frantic panic' that is pervasive in NJ to be amazing... I find some food to be cheaper here, but shop at farmers markets often, and Aldi and Costco which would be similar. Harris Teeter is a regular stop for me, and I find it to be nicer and cheaper than stopnshop, which I frequented in NJ. Movies are cheaper. Eating out is about the same. Public transit in Chapel Hill is great, and free.

My family is in NC, but a few hours away, and were the reason we moved. We find life here to be very easy, higher quality (music and events at UNC are wonderful and accessible, beaches and mountain easy trips...)

Schools in Chapel Hill have been very good for our children. We like the diversity that was not possible in our little NJ town.

Mostly we love the lower levels of stress in those around us.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,730,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
NO does not allow alcohol promotions for happy hour; however, a bar/restaurant can have drink specials all day. It's a mystery to me how that makes any sense.

In AZ (as well as other cities that have logical happy hours), we could get a glass of wine for four bucks or a drink for three bucks, and usually half priced appitizers during happy hour. This was a frequent dinner.
Yeah, you hear "Happy Hour" but it is just a term usually for an after-work gathering. Once upon a time, bars could have an actual drink special for an hour or so, but that was made illegal some years ago. Liquor laws change a lot in NC (e.g., they just--I mean JUST--moved the legal time you can sell alcohol in restaurants on Sunday from noon to 10 AM (not so long ago, it was 1 PM). But, municipalities still have to pass it before it takes effect, so you may or may not be able to have Mimosas at 11 AM brunch depending on what town you're in.)

Many places skirt the Happy Hour law by just having drink specials every Wednesday or whatever. It's a letter-of-the-law thing. Y'all should be glad you didn't live here when the hour for Last Call changed depending on whether it was Standard Time or Daylight Savings!

To answer a different question above: Liquor can only be bought in liquor stores ('ABC stores') and vice versa (no beer or wine there). Beer and wine including Hard Lemonade etc, from the grocery store or convenience stores (or Costco, but very limited kinds of beer). Some bars have beer/wine licenses but not liquor licenses (NC has lot of breweries BTW), though that is more common with newly-opened places because it's a hamper to business unless it's part of their 'schtick'.
There may still even be some "dry" counties or towns that don't sell alcohol at all, though they'd be rural places near the mountains.

People have always had weird regulations when it comes to fire water! Especially in states where churches still hold a lot of sway over legislatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary