Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 28,979 times

Advertisements

]I have read many posts some are not current to 2017...I understand the area of Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill Wakeforest, Cary, Apex, Faquan Varney is a very expansive area. I am a healthcare provider with many different Healthcare facilities to work at (Nurse). We area a family with 2 teenagers with mild form of aspergers (highly intelligent) moving to the area. Native New Englanders, presently live in WA state. We will be visiting soon, and I will be coming out first.
I ask that this forum be keep as honest and current as possible. Here are are questions.

1. Looking for a house rental under 1800 within a family orient place with diversity no gated communities, no high income areas just a nice middle income neighborhood.
2. Mid size town say under 50000. Commute under 30 minutes in the morning shifts start at 7 or 8am
3. Our son is working towards his first pilots license.
4. Our daughter loves to walk in downtowns where there are shops and towns have a true sense of community, parks to walk, swim, etc.
5. Decent shopping, variety of grocery stores
6. Fair amo[/b]unt of places to eat, prefer to support the local community by dining and shopping at them tho we do like a really good mall, museums, historical and of course trains
7. We are two small dogs
8. Hubby will wait to find work once we get there (Environmental Tech, Warehouse Supervisor)

Can you give input...
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 05:44 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
morning commute under 30 minutes and mid size town under 50,000? Well that eliminates Raleigh and Cary right off the bat. Wake Forest and Apex might be your best bet and tick most of the boxes off your list. Wake Forest has a very charming downtown that your daughter will enjoy. Always a festival of some kind with food trucks, shops, and cafes. Definitely has a "hometown feel." We took our kids to participate in the 4th of July parade today in fact. A little hot but had fun! Groceries: Wake Forest also just got a Publix to compliment Harris Teeter and Food Lion. There's an Aldi and Lidl is opening their doors soon. For shopping there's a bit of retail but you'll need to come to Raleigh or Durham for malls. The museums, high end cuisine, and historical stuff are downtown Raleigh. Midtown (North Hills) has a lot going on. Shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba1215 View Post
] Faquan Varney
No offense intended, barba ... just have to laugh at this. People from outside the area have so much trouble with Fuquay-Varina -- understandably! This is just one variation I haven't heard before

Old 07-05-2017, 07:31 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
OP has posted the EXACT same post (only changing the names of the cities) in no less than 6 different forums, states ranging all along the east coast from Florida to Massachusetts. Good luck with that.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
No offense intended, barba ... just have to laugh at this. People from outside the area have so much trouble with Fuquay-Varina -- understandably! This is just one variation I haven't heard before
My version isn't very forum-appropriate, but I still laugh to myself every time I see a Fuquay-Varina sign

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
The pilot license goal is going to be a challenge. There are no inexpensive training ramps in the area. Student pilots will have to work out of RDU - international airport.
There are three schools there and at least one at Raleigh Executive.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:13 PM

430 posts, read 626,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The pilot license goal is going to be a challenge. There are no inexpensive training ramps in the area. Student pilots will have to work out of RDU - international airport.
There are three schools there and at least one at Raleigh Executive.
Raleigh Exec (KTTA) is pretty convenient to Apex which has a lot of what the OP is looking for. I live in Apex and keep my plane at KTTA. The last time I did any training there, though, was 4 years ago. I don't know what it's like these days.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 AM

27 posts, read 28,979 times
Thanks for the bashing, I was looking for honest answers. Yes I posted to multiple sites, this is an important decision for our family and requires research. Lastly I am new to this site and if you had to say anything you could have taken this opportunity to show me around the site.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:06 AM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
You might want to look at Clayton, NC. It is about 18 miles outside of Raleigh. It has a very nice downtown area. It's growing with a new hospital, industral companies, plenty of greenways, and a sense of community. It also has Johnston County airport which offers flight lessons, I believe. It is close enough to Raleigh to enjoy their malls, restaurants, and museums, and close to an outlet mall in Smithfield. I don't think any one area has all of everything you are looking for, but each area offers some of it. I personally enjoy Clayton because of its slow growth and diversity in people and reasonably priced homes and new apartment communities.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:30 AM

69 posts, read 99,252 times
I have lived in the Triangle for a number of years and expensive is relative. If commute time is a priority, then the Triangle will give you the biggest challenge v. Triad. 15 miles could take an hour - depending on time of day, etc. When we first moved to RTP (early 90's) the area was just starting to boom so traffic was building. Roads have not kept up with the volume of people nor the spread. The outer loop (second ring around the city) helps but unfortunately, the northern side is toll free where the southern route is not :-(. Fuquay and Holly Springs have become 'burbs' of Raleigh where 20+ years ago was consider out in the county/country. So essentially, expect a decent commute time and it can vary dramatically. Employment options are greater in RTP area including cities of Raleigh and Durham. From your list, the commute time might be a deal breaker; everything else is doable. Lots of little downtowns almost everywhere, lots of grocers (Wegmans is coming; Publix and Sprouts are already here), and international markets. A few nice malls (indoor and outdoor) spread out between Durham and Raleigh. Short drives to other shopping. And, only two hours (or less) to the beach. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary