Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM

19 posts, read 23,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am from NJ and interested in possibly moving to NC within the next 2 years. I am vacationing in SC in 2 weeks but the boyfriend and I are driving through areas of NC on the way down to get a feel of which area we would like to relocate.
We will be driving through triangle area. Probably have about 2-4 hours allotted (perhaps to grab lunch and drive around) That being said-- any suggestions or tips of things to see to help me decide if triangle is a good area for us or to get the best feel of the triangle area? or just any suggestions of areas that would be good for us! Or just tips on if triangle area is a good fit/ worth stopping through.

About me (if you need it):
RN with 3 years floor nursing experience. boyfriend is going to trade school to become a welder. from small town NJ (farm country) with virtually no crime and not too much commotion. Boyfriend and I are very outdoorsy (camping, backpacking, biking, hiking). I Currently make approx. 40$ an hour (I know I wont make nearly that much;but, as long as the cost-living ratio is less Ill be ok) and pay about 1200$ a month in rent (utilities not included, 1 bd/1bth). Just so you have an idea where I'm coming from. Liberal in political view but I am not one to talk about my opinions publically and I currently live in a very conservative area (thanks Christie!) and am able to get by. Looking to rent at first but eventually settle down buy a house and have kids. Looking more for suburbs of the city (as the city scene is not us at all) . I have raynauds; so, We are looking for somewhere warmer with a longer "warm" season so we can do more outdoorsy things longer. thanks ya'll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:03 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Poeple who move here and see the biggest difference in their economic status are people who own a house and are able to save a ton on property taxes (we are saving over $10K a year)...so the hit you are going to take on your salary may actually put you in a worse off position than you are now, but you have time to do that math.

2-4 hours will barely scratch the surface of looking around the area and I'll leave to others to make suggestions as to what to do as I would not even know where to begin.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlynn5 View Post
Hello,
I am from NJ and interested in possibly moving to NC within the next 2 years. I am vacationing in SC in 2 weeks but the boyfriend and I are driving through areas of NC on the way down to get a feel of which area we would like to relocate.
We will be driving through triangle area. Probably have about 2-4 hours allotted (perhaps to grab lunch and drive around) That being said-- any suggestions or tips of things to see to help me decide if triangle is a good area for us or to get the best feel of the triangle area? or just any suggestions of areas that would be good for us! Or just tips on if triangle area is a good fit/ worth stopping through.
My tip is to make a separate trip for the purpose of spending 2-4 days exploring the area. You can't possibly decide if an area is a good fit for you by driving around for 2-4 hours.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:08 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
2-4 hours won't get you a lot of "drive around" the Triangle. More of a "Drive-by."

From what you say, I think I would recommend you come down I-85 from Petersburg VA, and take either US 1 or NC 50 south through Raleigh, South of Raleigh, and maybe through Garner, or Clayton.
You might also come all the way down to the Durham area, and ponder Stem, Butner, and the Glenn School Rd.--Red Mill Rd area for rural areas.

You might like the Wake Forest area, and NE Wake County.

But, if you get into the area south of Raleigh, you probably have better access to broader nursing options.

I think there is a lot to offer based on your description. Just that 2-4 hour window is pretty limiting in a sprawling area like this.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:20 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,026 times
In general rental costs are about the same, give or take.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:55 PM

19 posts, read 23,057 times
I am trying to narrow down where in NC I would like to be...there's so many different areas! This wouldn't be the only time I would check out the area. this is sort of my "get a feel of which area" to hone in on my search if that makes sense? So, My question I guess is more what is the best area of the Triangle to check out if I only have 2-4 hours allotted to see this one area to get a feel of if this area is for me or not.

I am also interested in The Triad, Coastal, and Charlotte area...Unfortunately I do not have the time allotted to do more than a drive through on this trip. I am driving through Triad and Charlotte on the way down and Wilmington/ Triangle area on the way back. It will not be my only trip its just where I am starting right now as its far away from where I live.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlynn5 View Post
I am trying to narrow down where in NC I would like to be...there's so many different areas! This wouldn't be the only time I would check out the area. this is sort of my "get a feel of which area" to hone in on my search if that makes sense? So, My question I guess is more what is the best area of the Triangle to check out if I only have 2-4 hours allotted to see this one area to get a feel of if this area is for me or not.

I am also interested in The Triad, Coastal, and Charlotte area...Unfortunately I do not have the time allotted to do more than a drive through on this trip. I am driving through Triad and Charlotte on the way down and Wilmington/ Triangle area on the way back. It will not be my only trip its just where I am starting right now as its far away from where I live.
Oh, if you are driving back north through the Triangle, reverse this course.

I don't think you will have problems finding rural living within reach of town.
I do wonder about rural apartments, but you may do OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
2-4 hours won't get you a lot of "drive around" the Triangle. More of a "Drive-by."

From what you say, I think I would recommend you come down I-85 from Petersburg VA, and take either US 1 or NC 50 south through Raleigh, South of Raleigh, and maybe through Garner, or Clayton.
You might also come all the way down to the Durham area, and ponder Stem, Butner, and the Glenn School Rd.--Red Mill Rd area for rural areas.

You might like the Wake Forest area, and NE Wake County.

But, if you get into the area south of Raleigh, you probably have better access to broader nursing options.

I think there is a lot to offer based on your description. Just that 2-4 hour window is pretty limiting in a sprawling area like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary