Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
They need to get rid of the ridiculous limitation on alcohol sales on Sunday altogether. Antiquated and simply stupid. Your religion should not impact anybodies ability to buy beer on a given day.
Your religion should not impact anybodies ability to do anything on any given day, but that's a whole 'nother debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 06:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Has anyone heard anything about what Cary is going to do? I have not.

For me, I don't do Brunch out, but it will be nice if I'm doing my shopping and happen to need a bottle of wine for dinner, that I don't need to make two trips. On the downside, it used to be that Sunday AM before noon was the only time you could shop at Trader Joe's without fighting the masses. No more.... (once it hits Cary)

Old 07-19-2017, 06:39 AM

360 posts, read 721,434 times
The blue laws should have gone out the window a long time ago. If people want to drink, no matter the time of day, they will, regardless of the law. They will simply either buy it Saturday to drink Sunday AM or of they live close enough, they will just drive over the border to a neighboring state that doesn't have the restriction if they border one. Frankly, the government shouldn't be in the business of telling people when they can drink alcohol. I've heard some say that people are in church at that time, so it shouldn't be sold. If that's the reason for the law, then it violates separation of church and state and thus, is unconstitutional IMO, but that's a debate for another day.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 AM

The ordinance didn't pass in New Bern because the councilmen felt it would discourage people from going to church. Ummmmmm ... shouldn't even be a consideration. It's not their job to worry about whether or not people are going to church.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
nobody says when you can drink alcohol, just when it can be purchased or sold. Many states have laws that prohibit sales/purchases during certain hours, like after 2 am.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

For me, I don't do Brunch out, but it will be nice if I'm doing my shopping and happen to need a bottle of wine for dinner, that I don't need to make two trips. On the downside, it used to be that Sunday AM before noon was the only time you could shop at Trader Joe's without fighting the masses. No more.... (once it hits Cary)
Do you mean at an ABC store? I'm not sure where wine is sold, but this is from the article:

Quote:
While the state-run ABC system didn’t change, there’s now a bit more competition in the North Carolina liquor market. Distilleries are now allowed to sell more bottles of their products at their own buildings, and for the first time they’ll be allowed to provide samples and tastings at stores and festivals.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:42 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Many states still have blue laws on the books so NC is not alone in that regards:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_l..._United_States

Old 07-19-2017, 07:49 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
nobody says when you can drink alcohol, just when it can be purchased or sold. Many states have laws that prohibit sales/purchases during certain hours, like after 2 am.
That same argument can be turned around though. If there's no rule against drinking at any certain time, why limit when it can be bought? Any truly hardcore alcholics will drink Sunday morning with stuff purchased earlier if that's what they desire. People who don't want to drink, it won't matter to them.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Do you mean at an ABC store? I'm not sure where wine is sold, but this is from the article:
Myghost was talking specifically about Trader Joes, not the ABC store. Grocery stores are able to sell earlier (10am) under the brunch bill. ABC stores will still be closed on Sundays.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:23 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Mayor said in this week's blog that it will come before the council either at the July 27 meeting or the next one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary