Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 10,918 times

Advertisements

First, let me apologize for being one of the invaders into the Raleigh area. I am perfectly happy out here in California, but my husband found a job out there and not out here... so we may have to move. (He's currently out there working and I'm back here in CA with our kids while they finish out the school year... traditional calendar.)

My plan for picking a place to live would be FIRST to pick the school I want my children to attend and THEN buy or rent a house within that area. To me, school is more important than square footage, acreage, etc etc.

Does that work out there? Are the zones in constant flux? If we buy a house in an area designed for x elementary school, would my kids get a spot in that school? If it is full, how is it determined where they would go? If it isn't full and they attend that school, is there a chance they'd get sent to another school the next year? Are there certain areas that have more stable assignments than others? We are looking at Cary and North Raleigh as options.

Other questions:
If you have 2 kids, can they both be put on the same track if you are in a year round school? How does that work if you have one in elementary and one in middle?

Buses: Do you have to use them? I actually like taking my kids to school and picking them up.

Magnet schools: what the heck are they? Why do people want them?

Do all schools have gifted education programs? My son tested into it here using the CogAt test... do they use that as an assessment tool out there?

Thanks for any help. I've read sooooo many of the school posts on here and have only gotten more confused!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:27 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
I'll answer the easy questions. The Wake County school system is in a bit of flux in the area of school assignments, and it is confusing, even for those of us who live here. I'll leave that one to somebody else to try to explain.

But, you can definitely take your kids to school and pick them up - carpool lines at some schools are very long because lots of parents choose to do that. I personally love the convenience of the bus, but anyway.

For most families, their kids are on the same year-round track, even if they're in middle and elementary - talk to the principals of the two schools when you register them and find out what track(s) have room for your kids at both schools. I honestly don't know any families with children involuntarily on different tracks. I know one family who chose for their kids to be on different tracks for personal reasons.

All schools offer some level of services for Academically Gifted students. And the CogAT is one of the screening tools used - kids aren't identified as gifted based solely on that - there are other tests and assessments, but that is one piece of the puzzle.

Magnet schools offer special programs in areas like foreign language, the arts, etc, and/or different instructional philosophies like montessori, etc. that are not offered in other schools. In Wake County the magnets are on a lottery system (there is no achievement/aptitude part of the selection process).

Old 04-26-2010, 03:38 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Most of these questions are answered a tthe Wake County School System site. It is true that Wake county is growing explosively, causing problems with reassignments and school calendars. But, depending on where your husband's job is, you don't have to live in Wake. Chapel Hill/Carrbor Schools are considered the best in the state, and Johnston County Schools (SE of Wake) also get very good marks. neither of these systems has the reassignment issues facing Wake. You should at least consider living in Chapel Hill if schools are the highest priority for your moving choice.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks71 View Post
If you have 2 kids, can they both be put on the same track if you are in a year round school? How does that work if you have one in elementary and one in middle?...
I think that bit about kids in one family being assigned to 2 tracks is an urban legend! While you are registering kid # 1 at school, the school staff will call school # and they will coordinate!

Quote:
Do all schools have gifted education programs? My son tested into it here using the CogAt test... do they use that as an assessment tool out there?..
In 3rd grade all kids here take a COG At. If they score over the 75%ile they take the Iowa. If they score over 90%ile then they look at the level of the kid's need to decide if s/he has moderate, strong, or very strong need of gifted services. When you transfer in with a gifted classification Wake may accept it... or not.

When you narrow down the areas where you want to live, check out the schools web sites and call the schools' gifted coordinators to see what they offer. The programs vary quite a bit. A gifted child may get pulled for special classes, or not. The classes may just pile on more work, or they may be interesting projects. It depends on the school. Services begin in 4th grade. The magnets have the most offerings, but some of other schools have strong programs, too. Some schools? Not so much...

Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,918 times
Thanks a lot for your replies. The information is very helpful. I did find information on the Wake County District website that was helpful... thanks for that tip. Not sure why I didn't think of that before! I think I need to rule out Chapel Hill as my husband's job is in Northeast Raleigh. We don't want to get stuck in another 60-90 minute commute each way like out here. I am hoping Cary won't be too bad of a commute. Anyways, thanks again. You are all very helpful.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
I think I need to rule out Chapel Hill as my husband's job is in Northeast Raleigh. We don't want to get stuck in another 60-90 minute commute each way like out here.
I live in Chapel Hill and work in Raleigh. My commute is 30 minutes.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:45 PM

153 posts, read 860,651 times
Orange County schools would be a much better choice then Wake County, if you are willing to drive maybe 30 minutes to work. Chapel Hill and Hillsborough are both good choices.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Orange County schools would be a much better choice then Wake County, if you are willing to drive maybe 30 minutes to work. Chapel Hill and Hillsborough are both good choices.
Yes, depending on how close to 540 [since you are from Calif, I will note that we do not say "the 540" on the East Coast ] your husband's job is, the commute might not be so horrible, and if you were being honest when you said schools are the most important thing, it would seem that that would trump a commute of a few extra minutes for him. Best is to come down and see for yourself, and I'd almost always recommend renting before just buying a house in a city that is virtually "sight unseen", so you get more wiggle room if things are not as they first seemed (as they nearly never are).

Old 04-28-2010, 02:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Note that Hillsborough is Orange County Schools, while Chapel Hill (also in Orange County) is Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary