Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 06:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,646 times

Advertisements

i am moving in six months or so (big on pre planning) and I want to know as much as I can.

Does anyone use the public transportation system regularly and if so, how is it? On time? Are the buses in good condition (don't ask, and don't ever use HRT)?

How about stuff to do? I am good with bowling and billiards of course, but how are the sidewalks and roads? I have a long board I plan to use a lot.

How much is the cost of living? I have to spend about 5-600 average for a month of rent here.

And as far as animal shelters go, are there a lot of them?

I am looking at this stuff as well, but no one can tell me better then those that use it all the time or live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Start by reading through this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...des-photo.html

Its virtually impossible to use public transportation in Raleigh as your exclusive (or even primary) way to get around.

You will pay way more than $500 to $600 a month in rent.

Google can tell you how many animal shelters there are:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anim...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 07-13-2017, 07:47 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
This is the South, sidewalks are mostly nonexistent here. The places that do have more sidewalks (like Cary), cost wayyyyyy more than $500-600 rent to live there. If there are folks looking for roomates around CH/Carrboro, you might be able to live there and do some longboarding

Old 07-13-2017, 08:17 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Yikes, I was talking to someone yesterday looking to rent in the far reaches of Johnston County and she can't find anything decent for $800 - OP this might not be the right move for you.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:26 PM

11 posts, read 11,978 times
I moved here 3 years ago from Norfolk, lived near Ghent in Colonial Place so I can help a bit. The cost of living here is insane, think Ghent prices. I moved here thinking it'd be more affordable than Norfolk and could buy a house. I was wrong. Even the 1 bedroom apartments in not that great of areas are still over $700 it seems. Public transportation is not a main way of traveling. Traffic is terrible, interstate's are pretty much as bad as getting through the tunnels there.

There are lots of things to do around here. I find that as far as entertainment goes, it's comparable to there. Pretty much something for everyone to do.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:35 PM

265 posts, read 269,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jludwick78 View Post
I moved here 3 years ago from Norfolk, lived near Ghent in Colonial Place so I can help a bit. The cost of living here is insane, think Ghent prices. I moved here thinking it'd be more affordable than Norfolk and could buy a house. I was wrong. Even the 1 bedroom apartments in not that great of areas are still over $700 it seems. Public transportation is not a main way of traveling. Traffic is terrible, interstate's are pretty much as bad as getting through the tunnels there.

There are lots of things to do around here. I find that as far as entertainment goes, it's comparable to there. Pretty much something for everyone to do.
I'm curious what made you initially think Raleigh would be more affordable than Norfolk?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 11,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
I'm curious what made you initially think Raleigh would be more affordable than Norfolk?

I lived in Durham from 2005-2008 before returning to VA. It was much more affordable at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary