Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Greetings,

I will be relocating to the Raleigh area, in 2018, but I'm having some difficulties finding my ideal home. I'm very much interested in a new home, but I'm finding that the lot sizes are rather small. It's also very apparent that many of the new homes in Raleigh do not offer outdoor/backyard options. I can't imagine buying a home with no backyard space. I'm not looking for a lot of outdoor space. I simply want an area for grilling, lounging and gardening.

This particular new townhome community is located in an area that I like https://www.ashtonwoods.com/raleigh/...wick/catherine, but it doesn't appear to have any backyard space and the townhomes all seem to be connected (which I strongly dislike). The floor plan however is ideal. I really love the kitchen and all of the huge windows throughout the home, but again, I can't see myself purchasing a home without any backyard space. I'm wondering why builders in Raleigh even bother to create these sort of townhomes? They are lovely inside and seem perfect for a single young professional (like myself), but at the same time, awful because there are no outdoor entertaining options.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong areas? I'd like to purchase a home in Raleigh, but maybe I should focus more on Chapel Hill?

I work from home, however, I do travel a lot during the summer months, therefore, my preference is to be within close proximity to an airport.
I really like a lot about that Ashton Woods development.

As long as you cannot hear your neighbors, this is what I consider smarter development.

Inside the Beltline, probably within walking distance of shopping on Wake Forest (Old Wake Forest to natives),

One less hour per day of stress and sitting in traffic.

Priceless!

The kitchen cabinets are disappointing at this price point, but that blower test and guarantee of low energy bills is quite nice to hear in this day and age.

At least some effort is put into keeping the bldg. envelope tight, and I'm guessing that perhaps they have spray foam insulation?

Last edited by architect77; 07-17-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
You talk about Raleigh like it is some sort of third tier consolation prize. "I REFUSE!" "I MUST!"

"Cavalier disposition of the builder"??? Are you being serious? Is this a put-on?

Ashton Woods has closed 38 units in Townes at Cheswick in 13 months. The tax value of the .03 acre plot that one of those townhouses stands on is $90,000. That puts a full acre of land in that development at a value of $3,000,000 without any dwellings. I don't think they see a need to revamp what they are doing in that location. It may not work for you, but it is working for them and it has worked for 38 buyers thus far.

Most New Yorkers are thrilled to see how far their housing dollars go here. Why are you different? Why are your expectations so out of line with the reality you are discovering?

Hate to break it to you, but living here is desirable. Prices are rising. Land is at a premium.

If you don't care for the townhouse offerings at your target pricepoint, here are your options.

Raise your budget
Lower your expectations
Explore other locations and property types
or
some combination of the three above suggestions
or
pass.
I finally watched that video. Neither person in it has a future on Broadway, but I’m not detecting any “cavalier” attitudes, either.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:19 AM

264 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I really like a lot about that Ashton Woods development.

As long as you cannot hear your neighbors, this is what I consider smarter development.

Inside the Beltline, probably within walking distance of shopping on Wake Forest (Old Wake Forest to natives),

One less hour per day of stress and sitting in traffic.

Priceless!

The kitchen cabinets are disappointing at this price point, but that blower test and guarantee of low energy bills is quite nice to hear in this day and age.

At least some effort is put into keeping the bldg. envelope tight, and I'm guessing that perhaps they have spray foam insulation?
I'm not sure if you are referring to the "Catherine" model, but in my opinion, the kitchen layout is very nice. I happen to like the craftsman style kitchen cabinets.

My main issue is, this model doesn't have any backyard space for grilling and/or lounging. Also, there doesn't appear to be an attached garage.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:11 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if you are referring to the "Catherine" model, but in my opinion, the kitchen layout is very nice. I happen to like the craftsman style kitchen cabinets.

My main issue is, this model doesn't have any backyard space for grilling and/or lounging. Also, there doesn't appear to be an attached garage.
Some of them have attached garages. How much of a lot do you expect on a townhouse?

Also, why would one lounge in the back yard of a townhouse when they are tied directly to the neighbor's house?

Usually, one would lounge on a deck out back of a townhouse or something. I once owned an end-unit townhouse that had a pretty large deck on the 2nd floor (if you were facing the back it was the 2nd floor because the townhome had a daylight basement).

That was sufficient for grilling and lounging and it was private from the next-door neighbors.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:56 AM

264 posts, read 239,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Some of them have attached garages. How much of a lot do you expect on a townhouse?

Also, why would one lounge in the back yard of a townhouse when they are tied directly to the neighbor's house?

Usually, one would lounge on a deck out back of a townhouse or something. I once owned an end-unit townhouse that had a pretty large deck on the 2nd floor (if you were facing the back it was the 2nd floor because the townhome had a daylight basement).

That was sufficient for grilling and lounging and it was private from the next-door neighbors.
The problem is, the Cheswick Townhome community doesn't offer large decks. It appears that the builder offers the option of a small backyard space OR an attached garage (not both). I created this thread to express my opinion(s) about Raleigh builders overlooking the needs of prospective townhome buyers at the 400K price point. Most prospective buyers at this price-point prefer to have an attached garage AND outdoor space.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 AM

390 posts, read 366,580 times
Obviously they prefer it. Clearly they don't demand it. If they are 400k without it, they would likely be 450k with it.

I'm not sure I really get the issue here. It sounds like you have an extremely clear idea of what you want. That is fine. What you want is also atypical. And you want it in a certain area at a certain price. And new. It's too much.

Where do you want to flex? You can very easily find a SFH that meets most criteria (the townhome with land part is what makes it odd - I haven't seen that anywhere I've lived). Durham has gone up in price a lot, but is still a bit cheaper than Raleigh.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:27 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
The problem is, the Cheswick Townhome community doesn't offer large decks. It appears that the builder offers the option of a small backyard space OR an attached garage (not both). I created this thread to express my opinion(s) about Raleigh builders overlooking the needs of prospective townhome buyers at the 400K price point. Most prospective buyers at this price-point prefer to have an attached garage AND outdoor space.
I believe you err in your assessment of "most" prospective buyers.

So many new townhomes sell so fast, sometimes with a lottery for prospective buyers, it is difficult to agree that the builders are overlooking buyer desires.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,942 times
You might want to search for Lake Hogan Farms townhomes in Chapel Hill (not new) for an example of some very large townhomes with nice views, patios, porches and and overall feel of access to the outdoors, even though you don't really have a yard. These are not near the airport though but out of curiosity is that what the OP is looking for?

Old 07-23-2017, 10:14 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
I'm not being very coherent but there is that development in chapel hill near the Mediterranean themed gated community that's like really small villas

Ok I looked it up villas at culp arbor

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...09942947_zpid/

I feel like something like this is what ur looking for

Old 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I'm not being very coherent but there is that development in chapel hill near the Mediterranean themed gated community that's like really small villas

Ok I looked it up villas at culp arbor

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...09942947_zpid/

I feel like something like this is what ur looking for
That might work if the OP wants a 55+ Active Adult community.
If so, that opens up Creekside at Bethpage, Carolina Arbors, and several more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary