Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 AM

264 posts, read 237,182 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I will be relocating to the Raleigh area, in 2018, but I'm having some difficulties finding my ideal home. I'm very much interested in a new home, but I'm finding that the lot sizes are rather small. It's also very apparent that many of the new homes in Raleigh do not offer outdoor/backyard options. I can't imagine buying a home with no backyard space. I'm not looking for a lot of outdoor space. I simply want an area for grilling, lounging and gardening.

This particular new townhome community is located in an area that I like https://www.ashtonwoods.com/raleigh/...wick/catherine, but it doesn't appear to have any backyard space and the townhomes all seem to be connected (which I strongly dislike). The floor plan however is ideal. I really love the kitchen and all of the huge windows throughout the home, but again, I can't see myself purchasing a home without any backyard space. I'm wondering why builders in Raleigh even bother to create these sort of townhomes? They are lovely inside and seem perfect for a single young professional (like myself), but at the same time, awful because there are no outdoor entertaining options.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong areas? I'd like to purchase a home in Raleigh, but maybe I should focus more on Chapel Hill?

I work from home, however, I do travel a lot during the summer months, therefore, my preference is to be within close proximity to an airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,563,625 times
Townhomes here really don't have yards which some people love. I have never had one for that reason. For the cost of some of those you can buy a single family home throughout the triangle. What are you looking for? Some neighborhoods offer single family homes on smaller lots that aren't connected that I'd say are a step between a fownhome and a single family.

I would expand your search to be not just new homes but maybe anything built since 2000. Anywhere near 540 or 40 makes for an easy airport commute to the airport really. North Raleigh may be a good fit for this reason and Cary and morrisville. In parts of these areas airplane noise may bother you so check that out too.

If you can give us more info on what kinds of things you want to be near, budget and size you're looking for I'm sure more people will chime in.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:07 PM

2,839 posts, read 2,951,731 times
We all want our cake and to eat it too. Desirability in central areas is very high everywhere and lots of people are buying without your requirements.

We have lots of stock from the 90s and older with nice lots and under various levels of remodel so if your lot size is the high priority lean more into that

But I would essentially say your assessment is generally correct

Of course if money isn't an object then I'm sure you can find success

Old 07-14-2017, 12:09 PM

As far why they do it why do you think they want to build and sell two houses in the space of one?

They don't give a hoot after it's sold and they're not there to ensure a great life in decades to come

Old 07-14-2017, 12:10 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,554,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer2020 View Post
Greetings,

I will be relocating to the Raleigh area, in 2018, but I'm having some difficulties finding my ideal home. I'm very much interested in a new home, but I'm finding that the lot sizes are rather small. It's also very apparent that many of the new homes in Raleigh do not offer outdoor/backyard options. I can't imagine buying a home with no backyard space. I'm not looking for a lot of outdoor space. I simply want an area for grilling, lounging and gardening.

This particular new townhome community is located in an area that I like https://www.ashtonwoods.com/raleigh/...wick/catherine, but it doesn't appear to have any backyard space and the townhomes all seem to be connected (which I strongly dislike). The floor plan however is ideal. I really love the kitchen and all of the huge windows throughout the home, but again, I can't see myself purchasing a home without any backyard space. I'm wondering why builders in Raleigh even bother to create these sort of townhomes? They are lovely inside and seem perfect for a single young professional (like myself), but at the same time, awful because there are no outdoor entertaining options.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong areas? I'd like to purchase a home in Raleigh, but maybe I should focus more on Chapel Hill?

I work from home, however, I do travel a lot during the summer months, therefore, my preference is to be within close proximity to an airport.

What is your budget ?
Only townhouses ?
Only new construction ?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,195,887 times
Typically I would not expect to find much yard associated with a townhome anywhere. If a yard is important I would expand your search for SFH. Lot sizes are all over the place. It depends on your budget and location. Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2017, 12:23 PM

253 posts, read 233,421 times
Quote:

This particular new townhome community is located in an area that I like https://www.ashtonwoods.com/raleigh/...wick/catherine, but it doesn't appear to have any backyard space and the townhomes all seem to be connected (which I strongly dislike).
I thought townhomes were by definition all connected?

But yea, most of them don't have backyards because most who buy townhomes don't want yard maintenance. I'd look for single family homes.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:32 PM

22,616 posts, read 36,530,898 times
I don't think most townhouses have a lot of "backyard space" and even if they did, you're essentially sharing that yard space with your neighbors. It's not like you can fence it off.

Do you mean the townhouses you've looked at have NO space between ANY of them? Aren't townhouses, by definition, connected? If the entire housing development is connected, yes, I would find that odd. But if you're talking about little groups of connected houses, I've never townhouses that aren't like that.

What's your budget?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM

264 posts, read 237,182 times
Thanks all for your input. I'm in my 30s and have property in the NYC area. My home in Raleigh will essentially be a second home, away from home.

I'd prefer to purchase a new home that is designed to my liking. I imagine that I will own the home for quite some time. I do not want a home that is too big, since I will be the primary person residing at the residence.

Currently, I'm not looking to exceed 450K. This doesn't mean that I want to spend 450K, it just means that if I find the right new home, in the right community, I would more than likely be willing to spend at the higher end of my budget.

I can't see myself paying nearly 400K for a new townhome without ANY private backyard space. The builders in Raleigh should be more cognizant of prospective home buyers' wants and needs. Most people who purchase at the 400K mark, want private outdoor space. It's just a pity that the builder spent time getting the floor plans right --but unfortunately, overlooked the need for private outdoor space.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for your input. I'm in my 30s and have property in the NYC area. My home in Raleigh will essentially be a second home, away from home.

I'd prefer to purchase a new home that is designed to my liking. I imagine that I will own the home for quite some time. I do not want a home that is too big, since I will be the primary person residing at the residence.

Currently, I'm not looking to exceed 450K. This doesn't mean that I want to spend 450K, it just means that if I find the right new home, in the right community, I would more than likely be willing to spend at the higher end of my budget.

I can't see myself paying nearly 400K for a new townhome without ANY private backyard space. The builders in Raleigh should be more cognizant of prospective home buyers' wants and needs. Most people who purchase at the 400K mark, want private outdoor space. It's just a pity that the builder spent time getting the floor plans right --but unfortunately, overlooked the need for private outdoor space.
This makes sense and I think is a fair expectation.

However I don't think the stock is sitting idle at this price point. It's more or less getting sold.

So I mean if the homes are selling it's not the builders expectations that are off but yours as a buyer.

*shrug* its a sellers market right now and this is just part of what that means
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary