Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times

Advertisements

North Carolina has never been part of the Deep South. It's part of the Upper South. That said, there are plenty of Southerners in the Triangle, but as the previous poster said I don't think they gravitate toward the newer neighborhoods unless they're moving from elsewhere in NC. I'm a native NC-er as is my husband who is a tech guy. We're also dyed in the wool liberals and come from a long line of them, all native NC-ers.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
North Carolina has never been part of the Deep South. It's part of the Upper South. That said, there are plenty of Southerners in the Triangle, but as the previous poster said I don't think they gravitate toward the newer neighborhoods unless they're moving from elsewhere in NC. I'm a native NC-er as is my husband who is a tech guy. We're also dyed in the wool liberals and come from a long line of them, all native NC-ers.
It's fascinating how many of us are natives and liberals, who come from liberal families (or at least, families with mixed backgrounds, politically).

My grandparents on both sides are/were Democrats. My dad is a Republican, breaking ranks with the rest of his siblings who are Democrats.

My mom doesn't vote at all (don't get me started) and my stepdad is a Republican who refused to vote in the federal elections for the first time EVER this year because he could not believe someone like Trump had hijacked the party.

I still remember my grandpa and his Jim Hunt bumper stickers from when I was a kid, and how he supported Carter. WWII veteran, born and raised in rural NC.

I'm unaffiliated, but quite liberal. I just never wanted to belong to any party.

My kids (all natives like me) are the same.

Husband is a transplant, but is also unaffiliated.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Roy Cooper, native NC-er, vs Pat McCrory, Ohio transplant.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The first one is interesting. I can't seem to get to the second link. Still, I don't think most people are convinced by just two studies.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I think "liberal" and "conservative" definitions have definitely changed though over the years. It's become way more polarizing in recent years as both parties have shifted to extreme left and right positions.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 PM

90 posts, read 89,868 times
OMG pleeeeeease move here! I haven't met a conservative yet and people say really horrible things because they assume they are in solidly blue company.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoncat View Post
OMG pleeeeeease move here! I haven't met a conservative yet and people say really horrible things because they assume they are in solidly blue company.
I am conservative as many know. Back in NYC years ago we had a motto, "A conservative is a liberal who was mugged last night".

Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 AM

703 posts, read 780,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I am conservative as many know.
One would never guess that from your posts on this site. Distilling down the things you've ranted about over the years, there are two generalizations that do not normally coincide with being a conservative: 1) your perpetual entitlement attitude about most everything, and 2) your desire for government to be (more) involved in all aspects of our lives.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
One would never guess that from your posts on this site. Distilling down the things you've ranted about over the years, there are two generalizations that do not normally coincide with being a conservative: 1) your perpetual entitlement attitude about most everything, and 2) your desire for government to be (more) involved in all aspects of our lives.
Totally agree. From his posts, you would think he's a die hard liberal. I like having a free mind and that's why I am neither. If you had to categorize me, I'd consider myself Libertarian. Live and let live and government can get out of my life

Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
I like to consider myself straight down the middle, and I try to evaluate issues without regard to which side supports it.

As a gay man with a father self-described as an "ultra-conservative",

I define "conservative" as whatever aligns perfectly with a white, male, heterosexual who is self-reliant but oblivious to how much of the system has historically favored his type...

and is also incapable of putting himself in someone else's shoes and viewing the world from a less privileged status than which he lucked out to be born as.

That said, I believe young college-aged "liberals" learn over the decades that most people's plights are of their own doing, and they acquire a disdain for the segment of the population that doesn't get up and go to work all while living off the working population's tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary