Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater88 View Post
Just so everyone knows, more highways and expanded lanes don't mean less traffic. It only increases capacity and encourages more people to live farther away and to use the roads more.

Southeast Wake County has low population but after the loop is completed there will be hundreds of thousands of families moving in and creating more traffic. Imagine the population of Fuquay-Varina having a population of Cary because that is what will happen eventually as development moves east with the new loop.
That's true to some extent. However, this is not a far-flung road. It is in the heart of the triangle and has needed widening and changes for 20 plus years to fix some dangerous conditions due to the way roads were being built 50 years ago not being up to current standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:07 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Just so everyone knows, more highways and expanded lanes don't mean less traffic. It only increases capacity and encourages more people to live farther away and to use the roads more.

Southeast Wake County has low population but after the loop is completed there will be hundreds of thousands of families moving in and creating more traffic. Imagine the population of Fuquay-Varina having a population of Cary because that is what will happen eventually as development moves east with the new loop.
I hear what you're saying, but this isn't just some random stretch of highway. It'd dead center in an extremely congested area of Raleigh. It's also old, poorly built by today's standards, and has more potholes than I care count.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I hear what you're saying, but this isn't just some random stretch of highway. It'd dead center in an extremely congested area of Raleigh. It's also old, poorly built by today's standards, and has more potholes than I care count.
Are y'all talking about the 540 stretch that hasn't been built? Because that's what I think the poster is referring to.....

Old 10-26-2018, 06:53 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Quote:
It will happen whether 540 is completed or not. Buildout of North Wake didn't wait on 540, and neither did buildout of West Wake.

Old 12-06-2018, 05:27 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Preliminary work on I-40 begins tonight.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-widening.aspx
Update.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-johnston.aspx

Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Another update.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-johnston.aspx

Old 01-16-2019, 04:52 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
It will happen whether 540 is completed or not. Buildout of North Wake didn't wait on 540, and neither did buildout of West Wake.
As long as states keep begging companies and industry to relocate and create jobs...

the people will need food, clothing, shelter, and highways to get it all to them.

The beauty in building roads before they're needed is that development will one day engulf them on both sides, leaving a very handy road to efficiently serve everyone like the Beltline and I-540.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times
Quote:

It’s going to happen anyway even without the highways as the Triangle is a very high growth area right now. The best thing to do right now with that in mind is for the NCDOT to build these new freeways with high capacity (6-8 lanes) from the beginning so that they can last for 30-40 years and sufficiently handle the growth that’s coming.

I’d liken it to how they built the last section of 485 in the Charlotte region. They made it 8 lanes from the get go and even with the development that popped up around it since completion, it’s consistently one of the least congested stretches of freeway in the region. I think they would be wise to do the same with the rest of 540.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

853 posts, read 587,529 times
architect and zeus, there is a fundamental problem to your approach of providing infrastructure prior to development. Not a flaw, but a problem. In a broad sense, infrastructure is always provided AFTER development occurs, not prior. It's sad, but that's the way it is. People want to chose where they live and develop and not be guided by existing infrastructure (planning). So roads, power, utilities always follow development after it has taken place.

More specifically, publicly funded projects must have a purpose and need (P&N). If development hasn't occurred in a given area, there is no P&N for infrastructure. This is often into play during the environmental permitting process of a project. I worked for NCDOT for ten years in the planning and environmental wing of the department. Almost ALL major transportation projects impact wetlands and streams that are under the jurisdiction of the US Army Corps of Engineers or the NC Dept. of Environment. They are nearly impossible to avoid given the nature of North Carolina. Even before the issue of offsetting the impacts to wetlands, the regulatory agencies require (demand) that there is a P&N for the project. Furthermore, they point out (mostly correctly) that development (and wetland impacts) near new roads will occur. A good example is the intersection of I-40 and NC-42. Look at the development that occurred there after I-40 was built.

Sadly, it's not possible to provide infrastructure prior to development even though that would be ideal. Infrastructure construction will always be reactive, not proactive.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:56 AM

163 posts, read 154,539 times
Any updates on the 440 project between Wade and I-40? Just wondering when construction may begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary