Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 4,233 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just joined today and looking for Armenian freinds, whose family may have been in the genocide.
Reading all the posts, it looks like we are all looking for the same thing, Armenian freinds and community.
I just seen the movie, The Promise, which shows the Armenian genocide and the horrors that took place. My grandmama was in the death march but escaped and told the family what she endured. Unfortnately, I never got to meet her, for she died 6 years after to made it to America with her four children, one of which she recused and claimed him. My mom was born here but my family is 10 years older for it took that long to arrived in America for my grandmama traveled on foot mostly. Most of my relatives are gone and I long for the culture, food, music and freinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:04 PM

390 posts, read 366,211 times
My wife is Armenian (born and raised in Yerevan - we're actually heading there for a visit in just a few weeks), but I believe most of her family was in the Eastern regions and Russia at the time of the genocide and wasn't impacted.

Might want to check facebook. There are a few "Russian" groups that include folks from former Soviet countries. These are hit or miss, many of the vocal ones are incredibly unpleasant human beings, but also some wonderful ones. Not terribly many Armenians, but we've met a handful. Very sporadic Armenian events (BBQs at Jordan Lake), but nothing consistent. Armenian population in RTP is quite small - there are more near Charlotte (also the closest Armenian church), so you might want to look there as well.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:19 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
There is a North Carolina Armenian group on Facebook that looks very active. Also search for a member named ARMENAK BDOIN on FB. He arranged for a meeting of armenian genocide victims at the state capital just last year.

It occurred to me that the OP may find some contacts at the International festival, which starts on Aug 27. https://www.internationalfocusnc.org/festival.html
It's a fun, interesting event regardless of one'side ethnicity or ancestral roots.

I also found that one of the board members is "active in the Armenian community". You might try reaching out to him through the festival's office employees. https://www.internationalfocusnc.org...-the-team.html
Scroll down to: Dikran Kabbendjian, Board Member

This is in Charlotte, but may be helpful http://www.saintsarkis.net

A very old post on CD:
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...gh-chapel.html

A Google group https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...meniancarolina

Other links that may be helpful

https://anca.org/armenian-genocide/r...orth-carolina/

Good luck!

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-26-2017 at 07:01 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO783 View Post
My wife is Armenian (born and raised in Yerevan - we're actually heading there for a visit in just a few weeks), but I believe most of her family was in the Eastern regions and Russia at the time of the genocide and wasn't impacted.

Might want to check facebook. There are a few "Russian" groups that include folks from former Soviet countries. These are hit or miss, many of the vocal ones are incredibly unpleasant human beings, but also some wonderful ones. Not terribly many Armenians, but we've met a handful. Very sporadic Armenian events (BBQs at Jordan Lake), but nothing consistent. Armenian population in RTP is quite small - there are more near Charlotte (also the closest Armenian church), so you might want to look there as well.

thank you for responding back to me. I have gone to the Armenian church here in charlotte, but the language is mostly Russian Armenian, which I don't understand. Yes, the Armenian population is quite small unfortunately, but I thank you so much for your reply and say hello to your wife from one Armenian girl to another.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacola View Post
Hello,

Just joined today and looking for Armenian freinds, whose family may have been in the genocide.
Reading all the posts, it looks like we are all looking for the same thing, Armenian freinds and community.
I just seen the movie, The Promise, which shows the Armenian genocide and the horrors that took place. My grandmama was in the death march but escaped and told the family what she endured. Unfortnately, I never got to meet her, for she died 6 years after to made it to America with her four children, one of which she recused and claimed him. My mom was born here but my family is 10 years older for it took that long to arrived in America for my grandmama traveled on foot mostly. Most of my relatives are gone and I long for the culture, food, music and freinds.
I don't have any help I can offer, but I wanted to say that I think it is great that you are
looking for connections to learn about your background. If you have kids now or later it will
be good to pass on that knowledge.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 AM

thank you so much for your reply. Yes, i do remember something about a festival and there is a booth of Armenian food and such. Thank you for reminding me and I will check it out.
I am not on face book but I do appreciate your information to me. My grandmama was in the genocide, but escaped and came to America with four children but it took her 10 years. I am trying to keep the memory alive for the genocide is still be disputed that it never happened.
Again, thank you so much for responding back to me. blessings

Old 07-30-2017, 08:52 AM

No problem, I appreciate your reply and concern about this matter. I don't have any children, but I do have younger cousins that don't have any idea about the genocide, which is so sad that their parents have not told them, since it is very close to home for our family. I am grateful for this website to be able to communicate to caring people. thank you!

Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacola View Post
thank you so much for your reply. Yes, i do remember something about a festival and there is a booth of Armenian food and such. Thank you for reminding me and I will check it out.
I am not on face book but I do appreciate your information to me. My grandmama was in the genocide, but escaped and came to America with four children but it took her 10 years. I am trying to keep the memory alive for the genocide is still be disputed that it never happened.
Again, thank you so much for responding back to me. blessings
It is VERY easy to register for an account at Facebook, and with what I viewed on that group page, I am confident that the members will be able to help you.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Posts here on C-D and Facebook are good ideas. If you don't get promising leads and you are willing to make cold calls or use Snail Mail, consider this procedure.

1) Download a list of Armenian surnames from a web site such as
https://www.familyeducation.com/baby...rname/armenian

2) Download the file of registered voters in Wake County from
Wake County Voter Data
This file is a public record, freely downloadable by anyone.

3) Write a program to match the two files to make a list of Wake County voters (name and mailing address) who have Armenian surnames.

4) Contact a few of these people. Maybe the first 9 out of 10 will say, "Sorry, can't help you" and the tenth will say, "I can refer you to the man who has lots of useful information." Bingo!

I have already done steps 1, 2, and 3. It's a breach of netiquette to post the results here but I am willing to send them to you privately.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:25 PM

39 posts, read 30,597 times
We have a group North Carolina Armenians Duke UNC on Facebook. We get together for picnics, beer nights, etc. While group is about 200 people, we are about 30-50 at the picnics. There are many adult families that have relatives who escaped Genocide. Find us and connect (also my hubby is half Armenian, he and his brother are opening up a grocery and store in Cary on March 1st. They will be selling Armenian food, lavash, basturma, etc. Find us at goldenhex.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary