Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 PM

203 posts, read 327,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Integon General Insurance. I've also seen it referred to as National General Insurance. It is in Winston Salem.
Oh dear. Good luck! They are one of those shady companies that charge practically nothing in premiums and only stay in business because they do everything to avoid paying claims. I sincerely hope your experience is different, but I've known people to spend months fighting them only to give up and pay to get their vehicle fixed through their own company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Integon is not great but if she reports the claim and/or cooperates with their investigation then you shouldn't have too many problems. No need to worry about their adjuster lowballing you - they are going to pay what they pay regardless. If your estimate is $3000 and they think you should get $2700 that's what you're going to get.

One other reason to report to the police - if the other driver is uninsured it is required under the policy that you have a police report for an uninsured motorist claim.

As to the poster who was hit by a driver that was ticketed and was offered only 50%, did that accident happen in NC? Because NC is a contributory negligence state and you get paid nothing or 100%. Also, if the person is ticketed the only way out of the ticket is for your insurance company to pay the claim you are liable for. So they have left their insured hanging by not paying your claim.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,207 times
She may have already reported it honestly to her insurer.

Get ahold of them. It might not be an issue at all to get it fixed.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Oh dear. Good luck! They are one of those shady companies that charge practically nothing in premiums and only stay in business because they do everything to avoid paying claims..
Somehow I get the feeling that this would have been your response for 90% of the insurance companies that I would have mentioned.

I thought that ALL insurance companies operated like that.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
She may have already reported it honestly to her insurer.

Get ahold of them. It might not be an issue at all to get it fixed.
Thanks for your (uncharacteristically) optimistic response Capital!

Old 07-26-2017, 05:31 AM

203 posts, read 327,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Somehow I get the feeling that this would have been your response for 90% of the insurance companies that I would have mentioned.

I thought that ALL insurance companies operated like that.
Not true at all. I just work in the industry and have a pretty good understanding of the reputations of most of them. The majority are very good when it comes to claims, but a few are not. Really only Integon and Peak will give you the most trouble. And like I said, it may turn out fine, she just happens to have a company that is known to not have the best track record. That is how they are able to advertise such low premuims. The people who use them often don't realize that it's too good to be true and it causes more problems when there are claims.

All insurance companies do not operate like that, and you seem to have made a good decision by going with State Farm (not my employer but nevertheless a good one). If needed they will get involved and work it out.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:01 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Not true at all. I just work in the industry and have a pretty good understanding of the reputations of most of them. The majority are very good when it comes to claims, but a few are not. Really only Integon and Peak will give you the most trouble. .
Add American Home. They just denied our subro claim and they hit our insured in the rear because she "stopped suddenly" - he stopped for a funeral procession....and he was the 5th car in line to do so

As far as how insurance companies handle claims, generally speaking the smaller the claim the more bent out of shape people get....I've had a couple claims in the past month where the people involved have had some serious crap going on in their personal lives and it's amazing how little hand holding they need compared to someone who got bumped and cannot!deal!with!this!....a little perspective goes a long way.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:05 AM

677 posts, read 1,903,640 times
My 2 cents worth as another claims adjuster. Yes, it would have been better to call the police but since you didn't I would not worry about the "breaking the law aspect" by not calling. If you called later, they would make you return to the scene to take the report, and without her being there it's of little value for the insurance claim. I would try to handle through Natl General. If you file with your own company you'll have to pay your collision deductible (and then wait to see if your company is reimbursed by Natl General), and depending on whether you bought rental coverage, you may or may not have coverage for a rental while your car is being repaired--Natl Gen will owe you this. I hope it all works out for you! I think, contrary to popular belief, many insurance companies want to handle claims fairly.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:09 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It takes next to nothing to get 1k in damage. If there's damage, call.
I had a slight fender bender and it cost almost $1000.00 just to replace the headlight unit.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:18 AM

163 posts, read 154,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you really don't want to call the police you should insist the person who hit you call their insurance company from the scene and report it.
This is exactly what I did last year, when I tapped the car in front of me at an angled stop sign. (He fooled me by starting to go, then stopped as I was angling my head in the other direction to start looking at oncoming traffic).

I also called my insurance on the spot about 5 years ago, when a young lady tapped my rear bumper at a stoplight when a bee flew in her window.

On both occasions, with no injuries involved, I thought it was more prudent to handle it myself and let the police handle more important matters. On both occasions, one my fault and one not, the other driver was cooperative and okay with the way we handled it. If the other person had been uncooperative for whatever reason, then I would have called 911.

(PS - I also had us move our vehicles out of the flow of traffic, which way too many people don't know is the law in NC in a non-injury accident.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary