Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

First accident in probably 30 years. I was sitting at the traffic light on Maynard, turning right onto Cary Towne Blvd, when a woman plowed into me. She claimed her sandal got tangled up and she couldn't hit the brakes.

I got her insurance and license info, and took pictures of the damage to both cars, but did not realize that it is NC law to call the police if the damage exceeds $1K. Do I need to do that after-the-fact, or is it too late?

Any other advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I got her insurance and license info, and took pictures of the damage to both cars, but did not realize that it is NC law to call the police if the damage exceeds $1K. Do I need to do that after-the-fact, or is it too late?
Really?? How can anyone know the cost of the damage?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Really?? How can anyone know the cost of the damage?
It takes next to nothing to get 1k in damage. If there's damage, call.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:15 PM

My car will need a new rear bumper and trunk, not to mention the crushable bits behind the bumper that you can't see. It's going to cost more than $1000 for parts and labor.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It takes next to nothing to get 1k in damage. If there's damage, call.
I should have called when the accident occurred. Is it too late to call the Cary police now?

Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 PM

203 posts, read 327,645 times
Pretty much anything more than a small scratch is going to cost over 1k to fix. It's always in your best interest to call the police, especially if it's not your fault. In cases where you were rear-ended and the other person was clearly at fault you may have less trouble getting the other company to accept liability, but without a report there is always the possibility that the other person will change their story. She could turn around and say that you backed into her and it could turn into a battle that you'd end up paying for.

Have you contacted her insurance company yet? Have they accepted liability? It's best to have these conversations with the police present. How do you even know she gave you her real information? I work in insurance and it happens all the time. Good luck.

There's really no point in calling the police now, they can't verify your story after the fact. I'm not saying that you're totally screwed, but you definitely made things a lot more difficult for yourself.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Have you contacted her insurance company yet? Have they accepted liability? It's best to have these conversations with the police present. How do you even know she gave you her real information?
I have not contacted her insurance company yet. I will do that in the morning. I took a picture of her driver's license and the name matched the info on the insurance that she provided. You're right, I have no way to know if she gave me bogus info or not.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Call them now. They surely have a 24 hour response line. It's going to take a while to get this straightened out for you, no reason to add to that delay. I would also try the cary police non-emergency line and ask them about the report as the insurance company may want a copy of the report and/or their insured to have opened a case before they get it moving.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
DOn't bother, they won't do anything at this point. I handle auto accident claims, you should always call the police. If you're in that much of a hurry you're not checking to make sure everything is copacetic with her information and now if it's not you're SOL.

If you really don't want to call the police you should insist the person who hit you call their insurance company from the scene and report it.

As far as the damage amount, it always gives me a good laugh when the police put the estimated damage on the PR, or better yet don't write one because they tell the people the damage is under $1000. I always ask the person where the cop got their estimating training.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
If you're in that much of a hurry you're not checking to make sure everything is copacetic with her information and now if it's not you're SOL.
I wasn't in a hurry. I was just ignorant about what I needed to do. I haven't been in an accident in 30 years and I didn't realize that calling the police was necessary. Now, of course, I look back with 20-20 hindsight and realize that I should have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary