Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 02:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times

Advertisements

Urban Outfitters was announced as a retailer at the upcoming Dillon tower project under construction in the Warehouse District in downtown Raleigh. It looks like there might finally be some momentum for national retailers to augment the independent businesses that have opened in the city center over the last decade or so. With several new projects about to break ground nearby on the west side of downtown, it will be interesting to see what is to follow at nearby One Glenwood, 400H (Hillsborough St.), 301 Hillsborough and Smokey Hollow in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
eventually the national retailers will take over the independent businesses downtown if downtown Raleigh continues to grow. Increased rent will mean that independent stores can't afford to stay in business while national retailers can.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:33 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Come on Zara!

Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,437 times
I wonder if this will affect the one at Southpoint in any way.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Not a big fan of Urban Outfitters (they have a nasty habit of appropriating designs not of their own but selling them as such) but if it helps draw other businesses to the Warehouse District then I suppose that's something I can support. At least it's not a Spencer's Gifts or something but I'd like to think at some point we can do better. (Ahhhh... like a decent full-service grocery store)

[EDIT: BTW, before any mentions the Kroger store planned for downtown, I ran across this from the Memphis Business Journal:

“Nationally, The Kroger Co. has reduced new store developments. Those capital expenditures are now focused on the customer experience plus, digital and technology initiatives. We are optimistic about the future of our new Arlington Marketplace Store. However, at this time, the project has been delayed until further notice. We apologize for the inconvenience. Kroger will continue operating its current store in Arlington, and we will provide updates to Arlington city officials regarding the progress of a future Marketplace Store.”

A quick glance at my Kroger stock portfolio offers an explanation why they are cutting back on CapEx expenditures ]

Last edited by take57; 07-25-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
eventually the national retailers will take over the independent businesses downtown if downtown Raleigh continues to grow. Increased rent will mean that independent stores can't afford to stay in business while national retailers can.
Going to be interesting to see the reaction to this long term. People were all upset that Carolina Ale house opened on Glenwood because it was a "chain" (I mean, they have a few locations, but the company that started it and owned it is based in Raleigh). Urban Outfitters may have some caché but it's a national chain nonetheless. When the next place that's not as hip and cool opens in downtown, then the next one and as you say, local places are all gone, I can't imagine it being favorable.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,429,984 times
Next, a Uniqlo

Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM

253 posts, read 236,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Next, a Uniqlo
We can only hope. Love them for basics.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:14 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Rent increases downtown have been forcing places out (or under) for awhile now, even without the addition of a lot of national chains

Old 07-28-2017, 02:10 PM

259 posts, read 243,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Rent increases downtown have been forcing places out (or under) for awhile now, even without the addition of a lot of national chains
I think it would be interesting to keep a list of business that have been gentrified out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary