Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 PM

18 posts, read 19,548 times

Advertisements

I live in an older neighborhood with no Homeowner's Association. However, some community members have created a neighborhood association with the City of Raleigh. These community members believe that they have a right to determine who can and cannot use the name of the neighborhood when any neighbor hosts a community event on their private property, creates a newsletter at their own expense, etc. For the events, the City of Raleigh provides some equipment and supplies and requires the host to sign an equipment agreement. The City is not involved with the newsletter at all. This particular neighborhood association is strictly a volunteer group, has no other designation (501c3, LLC, etc.) It has no legal authority.

So, am I missing something here? Is there some statute, law, ordinance, whatever - that I am not aware of that gives this kind of neighborhood association the authority to claim rights to the use of a neighborhood name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Nothing prevents them from doing so. There are no "rights" to a neighborhood name in the situation you're describing. I live in a neighborhood with a voluntary association, and it even calls itself "___ Homeowners Association" although it's not a HOA in the sense that we use the term today. Of course, because it's voluntary, less than half of the residents pay dues.

The City encourages associations even when they're new and have a relatively small number of participating residents. If you want a say in what the association does, then join it. Otherwise, if they do things you don't like, your only recourse is to undermine their credibility in the eyes of the City.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:34 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Nothing prevents them from doing so. There are no "rights" to a neighborhood name in the situation you're describing. I live in a neighborhood with a voluntary association, and it even calls itself "___ Homeowners Association" although it's not a HOA in the sense that we use the term today. Of course, because it's voluntary, less than half of the residents pay dues.

The City encourages associations even when they're new and have a relatively small number of participating residents. If you want a say in what the association does, then join it. Otherwise, if they do things you don't like, your only recourse is to undermine their credibility in the eyes of the City.
Nothing's stopping them from forming the association, but I can't see how they have any ability to stop others from using the generic name of the neighborhood either.

OP, why not call whoever at the city is administering the program and ask them about it?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:31 AM

Yes, I will call the relevant City department and ask, but when I have asked similar questions in the past, they have taken a 'hands-off' position, stating that it is up to your neighborhood to make those decisions; we don't get involved in neighborhood disputes, etc. What I have found is that many people confuse HOAs with neighborhood associations. It is my understanding that if a person is not bound by the rules of a neighborhood organization at the time when they purchase their home, then they are only required to follow rules, ordinances, laws, etc. of city, county and state enforcement agencies.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:39 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex27610 View Post
I live in an older neighborhood with no Homeowner's Association. However, some community members have created a neighborhood association with the City of Raleigh. These community members believe that they have a right to determine who can and cannot use the name of the neighborhood when any neighbor hosts a community event on their private property, creates a newsletter at their own expense, etc. For the events, the City of Raleigh provides some equipment and supplies and requires the host to sign an equipment agreement. The City is not involved with the newsletter at all. This particular neighborhood association is strictly a volunteer group, has no other designation (501c3, LLC, etc.) It has no legal authority.

So, am I missing something here? Is there some statute, law, ordinance, whatever - that I am not aware of that gives this kind of neighborhood association the authority to claim rights to the use of a neighborhood name?
I would politely tell them to pound sand if they told you you couldn't "use" their neighborhood name, unless they had some sort of copyright on it, which I doubt.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:41 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post

I think you mis-read the OP's problem, which is that this association is preventing him and others from using the neighborhood name on any documents/advertising.

Personally, if I wanted to use the name, I would go ahead and do it - they'd have to hire an attorney to stop you and I doubt they will do that. It's up to them to prove you agreed to their rules or that they have authority over you.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:56 AM

There's no copyright.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:53 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
honestly, you'd have to tell me the neighborhood in question, and what their issue is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: