Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 AM

610 posts, read 746,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
The one on highway 55 is ALWAYS packed. I laugh every time I drive by it.

I don't know why people eat there. High quantities of mediocre to poor food is not enticing.
We go there occasionally. I have no problem finding good food and neither does my family. You can eat healthy, eat "bad" or do something kind of in-between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 05:46 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I used to work at GC in the late 80's/ear/y 90's and it was TOTALLY different. It was a steak house with a salad bar, "potato bar" for baked potato fixins and a small amount of deserts. Their food was pretty good back then!
I worked at the one in Fuquay back in the late 80s. I agree, their food was much better back then!

We ate at the GC in Roxboro this week, mainly because non fast food restaurants that are good up in that area are slim pickings (I thought I had heard that Brookland Eats had closed, but apparently I was wrong). The quality of food has declined greatly. Even when the buffet concept first came out in GCs, there was still a bit of quality to the food. I loved their rotisserie chicken. The one in Roxboro doesn't have rotisserie chicken anymore. A vast quantity of the food is just frozen breaded foods that they throw in the fryer. Everything seems to be overcooked and really, the only healthy options are found on the salad bar. Oh, but the salad dressing were watered down, I guess another way to save on costs.

It's a shame, really. They raised the prices to some ridiculous amount, which is the main reason we stopped eating there years ago. One the weekend, just my husband and me eating and both of us drinking water and the total would be almost $30. It definitely wasn't worth it to me, especially when I don't eat fried foods.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I liked the old Golden Corral. Get in line and order a steak, get a color coded number to place on the table, pick up a salad and drink and seat yourself. They bring the steak and potato. Simple and good.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:30 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Last time I ate at Golden Corral was at the location on Glenwood. Was by myself and ordered water for the drink, ended up a $17 excursion. Gratuity was included, so I didn't leave a tip. If I had known I was about to spend near $20 by myself at a restaurant I sure as hell would have gone to a better joint. Absolutely no reason to go there with so many other tastier, fresher, cheaper options so closeby.
How did you spend $17? Isn't the buffet under $10? All of the GCs I have been to, the tip has never been included.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:47 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
I liked GC a lot as a kid....thought it was the coolest thing ever that I could have as much of whatever food I wanted and always get dessert!

Have been a few times recently ( I lived right down the road from the one on 55 in Durham a few years ago) and now it all just looks like crap food. Sits out for a long time, soggy or stale, not a lot of flavor.

The trend in the 90s during GC's heyday was one of quantity...it was a good deal because even though the food was mediocre...you got so much of it! Now people care more about healthy/quality food...for which GC isn't really well known.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I miss these steakhouses. I do not know if there are any around.
Consider trying The Peddler, also on Glenwood. No baked potato bar, but there's a pretty extensive salad bar, the steaks are good and the place looks like a throwback to the sixties (which I think is very cool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Outback Steakhouse is not a steakhouse as Golden Corral, Quincy's, Ryan's, and Western Sizzlin' were 25 years ago.
Ryan's is still around. We saw one in Sylva, NC just a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-29-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Consider trying The Peddler, also on Glenwood. No baked potato bar, but there's a pretty extensive salad bar, the steaks are good and the place looks like a throwback to the sixties (which I think is very cool).
We love the Peddler and eat there at least once a month! It is one of those "local hangouts". Been around for so long.

My favorite Italian restaurant, Casa Carbone, is in the same shopping center (Oak Park).

And if you have ANY room left...you should try the ice cream at the top of the shopping center. FRESH!

Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
I agree. And I think that's the problem for Golden Corral. This area has a relatively young and educated population and if they don't target them with food they want the chain won't survive.
Or stick the more rural parts of the triangle. Plenty of "millennials" are eating at GCs in the country. lol

Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Regarding way over-priced steaks in the local & chain restaurants:

We've opted for the heavily-discounted (yellow tag) Angus beef steaks in the black styrofoam trays at the....(of all places!!)
neighborhood market Walmart stores. Petite sirloin is one of the faves.

INCREDIBLE value for price paid and great on the grill after soaking in Montreal seasoning overnight.

We alternate with the $3.99/lb skinless frozen salmon filet at Aldi...

Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times

Anyone know how the GC brunch is priced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary