Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,166,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks. I did contact them and they told me to donate it and send the receipt in for a refund. They recommended Habitat, so I'll just wait for them to call me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:43 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,193,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Just go to the donation of your local GCF Goodwill, they have donor forms right inside the back door. Write whatever you want on it. I find it highly unlikely anyone will take your mattress because of fears of bedbugs, etc.
Yep. Most places no longer accept mattresses now. Thankfully. Easy to start an epidemic in an apt building etc. Shudder. Best to call first.

Put in on Craigslist...have buyer come get it.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,228,304 times
Salvation Army picked up a mattress at our house.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM

16,339 posts, read 12,291,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You don't know a single person?
No one that I'm willing to ask to carry a heavy mattress in the middle of summer.

Not sure how this became about me. I was simply pointing out that loading up a mattress in a truck and delivering it somewhere isn't possible for everyone. Stairs, lack of help, physical restrictions, etc. ...

How wonderful that many charities offer pick up services. It's not an issue!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,195,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
No one that I'm willing to ask to carry a heavy mattress in the middle of summer.

Not sure how this became about me. I was simply pointing out that loading up a mattress in a truck and delivering it somewhere isn't possible for everyone. Stairs, lack of help, physical restrictions, etc. ...

How wonderful that many charities offer pick up services. It's not an issue!
I just don't get the "not my problem" attitude. You buy a mattress, you decide don't like it, the mattress company takes a hit and donates it to charity on your behalf, and you can't be bothered to figure out a way to get it out of the house?

Crazy...sorry.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I just don't get the "not my problem" attitude. You buy a mattress, you decide don't like it, the mattress company takes a hit and donates it to charity on your behalf, and you can't be bothered to figure out a way to get it out of the house?

Crazy...sorry.
There's no "not my problem" attitude. The OP is figuring out a way to get it out of the house. That involves calling a charity that offers a pickup service. If that is an option, why not take advantage of it? It's not like the charity isn't getting anything out of the deal. They're getting a like-new mattress.

And the mattress company gets a tax writeoff, so it's not a total loss for them.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:45 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,195,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's no "not my problem" attitude. The OP is figuring out a way to get it out of the house. That involves calling a charity that offers a pickup service. If that is an option, why not take advantage of it? It's not like the charity isn't getting anything out of the deal. They're getting a like-new mattress.

And the mattress company gets a tax writeoff, so it's not a total loss for them.
It would still be the right thing to do to get the mattress to the curb - they're not a moving company. But whatever it doesn't matter.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,166,574 times
This is their business model. They sell mattresses online, which people cannot test out in person, so they offer a 100 day return policy. They save overhead by not having showrooms or floor models in the numerous mattress stores that are in every strip mall, and are able to get a tax write off.

I didn't purchase the mattress with the intention of returning it, but I also would not have purchased it at all if I knew the return would be a hassle. Their website only states that they will accept a return within 100 days.

Also the mattress is over 100 lbs and is not easily reshaped once it has been taken out of the box.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It would still be the right thing to do to get the mattress to the curb - they're not a moving company. But whatever it doesn't matter.
They're getting a free mattress. They can carry it to the truck, especially if that's the service they advertise.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 PM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
Please don't donate ANYTHING to Goodwill. Have we forgotten so quickly?

NC Goodwill husband-wife team paid nearly $800,000 - News - Hendersonville Times-News - Hendersonville, NC

And it's the the Central NC Goodwill

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...-in-state.html

Goodwill CEO for WNC earns $315K - News - Hendersonville Times-News - Hendersonville, NC

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2016/...ofit-business/

Totally corrupt 'charity'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary