Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

Wife and daughter visited Miller-Motte College in Raleigh today. Daughter is interested in their vet tech program. Has anyone been a student there or known students. They were impressed with the campus and program as it was presented. It is rather high but we would pay the money if it helps her get into a stable career.

Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Don't do it. It's a for-profit college.

Go with a community college instead. Central Carolina Community College in Sanford has a good vet tech program. Veterinary Medical Technology, CCCC - Central Carolina Community College

Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 PM

360 posts, read 720,866 times
I'd check out NCSU. They are well known for having a world-class vetinary program.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 PM

NCSU is a great suggestion, but pretty competitive to get in. CCCC has a good vet tech program and is accredited.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 PM

810 posts, read 666,913 times
Avoid it. A former coworker was an admissions director and he gave me lots of dirt on MM after he went on to something else. The admissions recruiters lie so they can meet their target quotas for the month. All they care about is your money and they'll say anything. They lie about everything from the debt you'll accrue to post-graduate job expectations, to unrealistic timelines. You'll notice that many of them are in low income strip malls. This is to attract low income minorities and take their money. They pay poorly and can't afford to keep good instructors. Some people who complete their programs and are now in $30K of debt find that they can't even get interviews as they often aren't an accredited college. MM is like the K-mart of college degrees.

Many employers will trash a resume with MM on it much like Strayer or Phoenix Univ. Please trust me on this. Look at NC State instead. They have a great vet tech program.

Last edited by tailsock; 08-03-2017 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 PM

If I'm not mistaken the College of Veterinary Medicine at NC State is a graduate level program with most undergrads who plan to appy to the program majoring in things like Biology or Animal Science. I'm going to make the assumption that NC State is out of the picture right now because that's the obvious choice for someone who wants to be a vet in North Carolina.

If State is a no go for now, I'd definitely give a good look at the Vet Tech program at CCCC in Sanford. It's affordable and probably much more marketable than Miller-Motte. It's just 45 min down highway 1 from downtown Raleigh, so not bad.

Also, if she is interested in going on and pursuing a DVM degree from State, if she makes good enough grades she can transfer to NC State from CCCC after she gets her Associates. All the community colleges have a transfer program in place with all the UNC system colleges. Here is NC State's info on transferring from CC: https://admissions.ncsu.edu/apply/tr...sfer-pathways/ and https://admissions.ncsu.edu/wp-conte...SCVET_2168.pdf . It still won't be easy to get into NC State, but having an Associates with excellent grades will help her.

Last edited by poppydog; 08-03-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
I would suggest taking general classes (or a program) at WakeTech, and transferring from there. STEM is the way to go, instead of lower paying things like Vet techs. Either that or military (Coast Guard, Navy, Air Force)

Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
I do have a couple of friends who did the massage therapy program at MMC and are now working as quite successful massage therapists. I know a few hair stylists also.
I think you get out of it what you put into it. I imagine they accept people that they "know" are probably going to not be successful because it is a bit of a numbers thing, but they are an accredited school which means they are subject to audits and inspections so they do have to provide a certain level of education.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:07 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
I'd check out NCSU. They are well known for having a world-class vetinary program.
A few family members own veterinary practices. I know at least the one of them has trained 2 of 3 techs he employs by himself.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
I do have a couple of friends who did the massage therapy program at MMC and are now working as quite successful massage therapists. I know a few hair stylists also.
I think you get out of it what you put into it. I imagine they accept people that they "know" are probably going to not be successful because it is a bit of a numbers thing, but they are an accredited school which means they are subject to audits and inspections so they do have to provide a certain level of education.
I'm not trying to disparage massage therapy or hair stylists, but I feel that it's not on the same plane as veterinary school.

I feel like there are better choices than MMC for vet school, like CCCC or Wake Tech and then try transferring into the NCSU Vet School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary