Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:30 PM

6,312 posts, read 5,402,249 times

Advertisements

I spent many happy hours as a kid, even through High School, at Eva Perry Library in Apex.

I've only been to the new public library in Chapel Hill twice and both times it was for meetings for work...but it also seems nice. Largest library I've ever been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 PM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
I have Durham and Wake County cards. One of the few advantages of living in the county of Durham and the city of Raleigh.

I cannot comment on audio or DVD collections as I use neither of them.

Duraleigh has a lot that would appeal to kids and teens. I don't think it's what OP is looking for. Leesville is quite small. Cameron has a nice vibe to it, and a pretty well stocked catalog.

In Wake County, the best bang for your buck is Cary Community on Academy Street.

In Durham, the main library on Roxboro was VERY well stocked, but it's closed for (badly needed) renovations until 2019. South regional is quite nice with a good selection of adult materials and an unusually large selection of large print books.

Truthfully, I almost always use the online catalog to get books from other branches and hold them for me. Mostly I go to South Regional as it's the closest to my home. If they don't have what I'm looking for (which occurs most often with non fiction), I try the Wake County system and do the same hold routine.

If neither County had what I wanted, either can request it from another library in the US. Remember to read it quickly - unless something has changed, they cannot be renewed.

The James B Hunt Library at NCSU is an amazing thing to see. I don't think you can check out books, but it's well worth a visit.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,710,714 times
Of the four Wake County libraries I've been to, North Regional has been the best. West Regional and Northeast Regional are about equal, but a step down.

Went to Cary Library (downtown) and, contrary to what Jkgourmet says, I thought it was meh.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,695,939 times
I have cards at Chapel Hill, Orange, and Alamance. Although I like the physical building of Chapel Hill Library, I like the services from Orange County Library better. I check out their Wifi to Go and use Hoopla to download books. CH doesn't offer either of these services, although they have Overdrive which isn't as good. Also, CH recently got rid of Ancestry.com, which I used to use regularly at their library. They often don't have books I want (either at all or they are checked out). I often end up getting them at Alamance or Orange instead. Also, I wish they had more than one branch. While their facility is beautiful, it's a pain to get to from the south side of Chapel Hill. I wish they at least had a return drop location that was closer to me. None of the libraries I belong to here measure up to our old library system in Fairfax County.

ETA: I will say that CH Library has good hours, though!

Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,447,100 times
Good responses. I'll be checking out West Regional as well tomorrow, they both have books I want to borrow. I've just played around with Wake's online catalogue thing, and I was able to place a hold on one book but apparently the majority of what I want is considered reference so probably they won't move it to another library or check it out? Shame.

Also, didn't know that about the Roxboro St library that is definitely good to know. When I lived in Durham I was always at either South Regional or Roxboro St. They are both really nice. Hoping Wake can redeem itself tomorrow at CV.

I didn't realize there was an Orange and a CH public library? The one I went to when I lived in Carrboro was off Estes Drive. That's my favorite one so far. I never tried Alamance, even when I was attending ACC.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 08-06-2017 at 10:41 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 10:43 PM

9,763 posts, read 15,695,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post

I didn't realize there was an Orange and a CH public library? The one I went to when I lived in Carrboro was off Estes Drive. That's my favorite one so far. I never tried Alamance, even when I was attending ACC.
The main branch for Orange County Library is in Hillsborough - right downtown, it's very nice! Then they have a small branch at McDougle (outside school hours) and a "cybrary" which is very small at the Century Center in downtown Carrboro. I just put books on hold from my computer at home and have them delivered to the Century Center since it is very close to me. I don't go to Hillsborough very often. At one time, there was talk of building a full Orange County library in downtown Carrboro, but it fell through. I would LOVE that! I am a library fiend.

Alamance is great because they almost always have books in stock (like Battle of the Book books for school) when CH doesn't. That might say something about each of the communities that house these libraries , but it works to our benefit. My husband swings by to pick up books for us any weekday on his way home from work. They have some nice programs, too as well as offer day tickets for loan to the Zoo, Life and Science Museum, Transportation Museum, and others.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,860,265 times
Speaking of Libraries, anyone know of the time line of when the New Downtown Library in Cary is supposed to start construction. Once finished it's supposed to be pretty big, and will fit in nicely right by the new park. Also wonder what they'll convert the old library into.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 AM

4,292 posts, read 5,941,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
Speaking of Libraries, anyone know of the time line of when the New Downtown Library in Cary is supposed to start construction. Once finished it's supposed to be pretty big, and will fit in nicely right by the new park. Also wonder what they'll convert the old library into.
Project should be going out to bid very shortly and depending on those come back could probably start work within a few months. Aiming for spring/summer 2019 opening.

No specific plans for the current site yet. Will likely be sold off for private development, but I'm sure they're keeping all options on the table for now, as it's obviously a key downtown site.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 AM

163 posts, read 153,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You know, you can order almost any material (books mostly) and have it delivered to your local library, right? I think Cameron Village is pretty nice but I've only been there, Leesville Road and Duraleigh.
This is exactly what my wife & I both do.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM

398 posts, read 513,696 times
It depends on what you use the library for. The things I have wanted to check out - that none of the libraries in Wake county ever have - include auto repair manuals and foreign language lesson CDs.

But if you want to actually sit and have some peace and quiet and be able to think, concentrate or hear anything at all using earphones - you can forget the community libraries. They aren't really libraries - they are daycare centers. Anytime any of these nightmare "storytime" sessions is going on - it is total complete insanity with screaming kids, crying babies and rude obnoxious parents taking over the entire building. It wouldn't be so bad if it started and ended when the actual storytime was going on, but the oblivious inconsiderate parents just linger around having loud conversations and letting their spawn disrupt and ruin the environment for anyone actually there who hopes get anything done. And don't even get me started on the cell phone users. The Wake county library has gone downhill in a big way over the last 10 years or so.

The regional libraries are better - if you stay far away from the kids section. Eva Perry and West Regional are the best. North Regional is nice if you like feeling like you are in a prison library with all of the wandering security guards watching everyone like they are inmates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary