Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 08:06 AM

66 posts, read 62,003 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Long story short: I am looking for some honest opinions on teaching in Raleigh, North Carolina or just NC in general. My fiance and I are looking to move to the area sometime in the next few years for a change of scenery from SWFL (away from the miserable summers). I currently work for Florida Fish and Wildlife but am looking to switching careers to teaching because the pay is just not that great with the state and the benefits are also not the greatest. From my understanding I see a lot of people talk about how the pay is not that great working as a teacher (much better though than what you can get working for the natural resources dept of the state from what I can see). Can anyone give me their honest opinions on teaching? The pros and cons? As for the pay, I would honestly be happy making anything over 32,000 as that is what the next level higher than me makes with my current job (job market is going downhill in my current career). Is there any good with all the bad that I see people post about all the time on these forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Don't forget the benefits and summers off where you can supplant your income

Compared to the NE like jersey where teachers are essentially under the patronage system it looks real bad. But from where you are it prob looks and is pretty good

Teaching in NC has problems but teachers are also famous complainers.

If you see the pay well that's the pay.

The COL may not work in our urban areas that is a serious problem but any of the small towns / cities should be enough to make it work especially if you're dual income

Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
for a change of scenery from SWFL (away from the miserable summers).
Just be aware that for at least part of the summer here, it can be pretty miserable. Don't expect cool summers, unless you head west to the NC mountains.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd2357 View Post
Hello,

From my understanding I see a lot of people talk about how the pay is not that great working as a teacher (much better though than what you can get working for the natural resources dept of the state from what I can see).
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am also not sure what information you are comparing. Depending on your background and education some jobs at the state (working for the Dept of Natural Resources) could pay better than a teaching position. Just depends on what type of positions you are comparing and qualifications needed.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:48 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just be aware that for at least part of the summer here, it can be pretty miserable. Don't expect cool summers, unless you head west to the NC mountains.
Probably not miserable compared to Fla summers though.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Well, you'll be making more than $32K, but the COL may be higher. Honestly your teaching experience here will be like any job - as goes management (in this case, the principal) so goes the vibe of the place of employment (the school). I know of one elementary school that has lost almost the entirety of the staff since a new principal came in 3 years ago - not just teachers, but TAs and front office staff....and we're talking multiple turnover. Then there are other schools where people are beating down the door to get a job there. Teaching overall these days has a lot of issues, as my sister who is a teacher says, I went into this to teach, not to worry about standardized test scores, crazy parents and so on. Those things don't change state to state.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
A good friend moved here after living 30+ years in Savannah. She said that while it is not quite as bad as it sometimes gets during the worst times there, it does certainly qualify as miserable. Anywhere you need to change your shirt after walking to the mailbox is miserable. I think it just that we don't have miserable as long.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:00 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
A good friend moved here after living 30+ years in Savannah. She said that while it is not quite as bad as it sometimes gets during the worst times there, it does certainly qualify as miserable. Anywhere you need to change your shirt after walking to the mailbox is miserable. I think it just that we don't have miserable as long.
Good point..I feel like we only have a few weeks of "too hot & sticky to be outside" weather here.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:17 AM

168 posts, read 267,738 times
As the wife of a teacher who just resigned from the profession after 10 years in NC. I can honestly say you might want to look at other states. NC consistently ranks in the bottom 5 of all 50 states for teacher pay, respect and satisfaction. Of course there are exceptions and you could end up in a wonderful school with strong leadership, but the odds are stacked against you in this regard.

This website does a pretty good job on the analysis. Best to do your research. Our move to this state was great for my career and horrible for my husband. It really depends on what is important to you and your family.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/best-states-for-teachers/

Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM

66 posts, read 62,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This is the truest thing I have seen all day. I am well aware that NC can have hot summers as well, but the biggest difference between NC and FL that I have seen/heard of so far is the duration. In SWFL it starts staying over 90 degrees starting in early May and lasting well through October and sometimes even into November before the temps drop back at an average of 80. kelly237 and don6170 - a small break would be wonderful right about now, thanks for the feedback on that

Quote:
As the wife of a teacher who just resigned from the profession after 10 years in NC. I can honestly say you might want to look at other states. NC consistently ranks in the bottom 5 of all 50 states for teacher pay, respect and satisfaction. Of course there are exceptions and you could end up in a wonderful school with strong leadership, but the odds are stacked against you in this regard.
This is what I seem to keep seeing. I would be more concerned over the respect issue than the pay, I mean pay is important too, and I would definitely be more than happy to get what I am seeing for the salary that teachers are making. I think the biggest motivator for moving to NC if we did would be the climate. We are both from WI and we don't want to go back to the bitter cold winters of up north but we definitely don't want to stay in SWFL with the hot, humid, and never ending summers. We sorta figured NC would be a good half way point so we could visit both families but have some seasonal variations. The pros for moving are definitely there but the cons seem to be adding up just the same. It is good to hear what others have to say especially those who have been in the profession or are married to someone who is/was. If you have any other advice please let me know, I appreciate the feedback milliehubbard.

Quote:
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am also not sure what information you are comparing. Depending on your background and education some jobs at the state (working for the Dept of Natural Resources) could pay better than a teaching position. Just depends on what type of positions you are comparing and qualifications needed.
To clarify I have a B.S. in Marine Science with minors in Biology and Geology. The jobs that I am talking about are for biologists/wildlife ecologists/etc. Most of the jobs that I have seen like those are start salary pay of 27,000 to 35,000 for state jobs in the DNR/FWC. It takes a lot of years of experience and sometimes a lot of years of education as well to get to those higher paying jobs. They don't have much for annual increases either. Here where I am now I am making a potential of 29,000 if I get a full 40 each week (which I am not guaranteed, usually more like 32 hours a week). I am not saying you can't get up there in the pay ranks but it takes many years to do so. Especially when I see for the most part that teachers can start off with a salary of 39,000. To me it seems like it would be more effort and time put into making the same amount of pay that a teacher can start off. So on one end I completely agree with you there are most definitely jobs out there in the DNR/FWC that make a lot more money than teachers, but those jobs are mostly few and far in between as many people who hold those jobs do so until they retire. Thank you for your input North_Raleigh_Guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary