Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times

Advertisements

I ordered some glasses online, from Amazon, about a month ago. Last week, I realized that they hadn't arrived yet, so I checked the delivery date and it said that they wouldn't be here until Sept. I contacted the seller and was assured that the glasses would arrive before the eclipse.

This week, I received a letter from Amazon saying that the company I ordered the glasses from was not "approved" by NASA, or whatever, and that they were issuing me a refund because they did not want to be held responsible for making me go blind. They did not say that the glasses were bad, just that the seller had not submitted proof that the glasses met the required tests.

I decided that I should try to buy replacement glasses, and found a number of local stores (Best Buy, Lowes, Toys R Us, all in Crossroads area) that were supposedly selling glasses. I visited them all yesterday and they were sold out.

Has anyone seen any glasses for sale recently, and if so, where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 05:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I ordered some glasses online, from Amazon, about a month ago. Last week, I realized that they hadn't arrived yet, so I checked the delivery date and it said that they wouldn't be here until Sept. I contacted the seller and was assured that the glasses would arrive before the eclipse.

This week, I received a letter from Amazon saying that the company I ordered the glasses from was not "approved" by NASA, or whatever, and that they were issuing me a refund because they did not want to be held responsible for making me go blind. They did not say that the glasses were bad, just that the seller had not submitted proof that the glasses met the required tests.

I decided that I should try to buy replacement glasses, and found a number of local stores (Best Buy, Lowes, Toys R Us, all in Crossroads area) that were supposedly selling glasses. I visited them all yesterday and they were sold out.

Has anyone seen any glasses for sale recently, and if so, where?
The museum of Natural sciences in downtown Raleigh was selling the glasses as recently as yesterday for $3 a pair. (A friend posted his purchase of the glasses on twitter). Not sure if they sold out yesterday, maybe you can give them a call to see if there are any left?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:19 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
I saw some at a Home Depot last week, but might be sold out by now if the rest of the okaces are. I got the same email from Amazon about the glasses I got a while back. I've already checked them even before the reports of bad ones surfaced and they seem fine. I can't see anything with them except the filament of a bare light bulb and a quick look at the sun after that, I can barely see it either. Honestly, I'm wondering if at the max coverage we get if I will be able to make out much, so I have no doubt they are OK.

You can also try Welders goggles which should still be available at Home Depot, lowes etc.

And of course you can always do a pinhole projector type of viewer which will enlarge the sun way more than just looking with glasses.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:28 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'll save you some time.

I contacted at least fifteen places by phone that were supposed to have them five days ago. Nada. (Walmart, lowes, home depot.)

Then I started looking at store inventory online at found nothing. So I took to the Internet to have them shipped to my house and, again, found nothing except expensive ones on various sites (including amazon) or places that were selling packages of 50 or more.

Finally, I found some on Toys R Us for home delivery only (all stores locally were sold out). I had to pay a bit extra for express shipping.

The site now says they are unavailable for home delivery and local stores out of stock.

I tried calling the museum of natural Sciences, but couldn't get a human on the phone. Automated information and voice-mail only. Maybe I hit them on a busy day?

Unless somebody else has an idea (like north raleigh guy) I'm afraid you're SOL.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Unless somebody else has an idea (like north raleigh guy) I'm afraid you're SOL.
A friend of ours was shafted with their original Amazon order as well and ended up reaching out to a bunch of people via Facebook to see if it was worth while to do a bulk order since the prices have jumped up so high. She ended up ordering 25 in bulk as she was able to "pre-sell" her extras within like 5 mins thru facebook.

Getting two from her for $8 total, whenever they get here.

So there are still ways to get them "affordably", but people are going to have to get slightly lucky/creative with it.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
A friend of ours was shafted with their original Amazon order as well and ended up reaching out to a bunch of people via Facebook to see if it was worth while to do a bulk order since the prices have jumped up so high. She ended up ordering 25 in bulk as she was able to "pre-sell" her extras within like 5 mins thru facebook.

Getting two from her for $8 total, whenever they get here.

So there are still ways to get them "affordably", but people are going to have to get slightly lucky/creative with it.
I bought four extras for my terrific neighbors as freebies.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:08 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
Last I heard (as of a couple of days ago), Morehead Planetarium still had some.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Last I heard (as of a couple of days ago), Morehead Planetarium still had some.
Oops - my prior post said I called the natural science museum.WRONG. It was Morehead where I couldn't get a human.

I never thought to call the museum. I'd start there. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 AM

250 posts, read 694,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You can also try Welders goggles which should still be available at Home Depot, lowes etc.
Sherifftruman, I think eclipse viewing info has advanced since the last time you and I looked. I remember when your advice was considered sound by a lot of people.

The American Astronomical Society says only certain welder goggles will protect your eyes.

"The only ones [welding filters] that are safe for direct viewing of the Sun with your eyes are those of Shade 12 or higher. These are much darker than the filters used for most kinds of welding. If you have an old welder's helmet around the house and are thinking of using it to view the Sun, make sure you know the filter's shade number. If it's less than 12 (and it probably is), don't even think about using it to look at the Sun."

I learned a lot from their article, How to Tell If Your Eclipse Glasses or Handheld Solar Viewers Are Safe.

https://eclipse.aas.org/eye-safety/iso-certification

This article has a link to their list of Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Random but apparently Stone's Education & Toys in Cary has some available:

stones-education.com – Educational toys, games, books and teaching supplies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary