Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:27 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,150 times

Advertisements

I do not understand law enforcement allowing destruction of property. They knew this was coming. The TV stations showed the statue last night and said protesters are coming to Durham tomorrow. The rule is law enforcement is allowing this to occur all over US. Stand back and watch. Police hands are tied!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The people that tore down the statue are f'n idiots. That's not a good way to get people to take you seriously and does nothing but give the far right more fodder for their base. The last thing Durham needs is to become another Charlottesville. (
I agree with this very much. As an observation, I've noticed a profile of people who get involved in this kind of destructive behavior, regardless of whether extremism goes from "far left" to "far right" ideology that crosses the line into destructive, criminal behavior:

-They are typically underachievers, undereducated, or underemployed/unemployed (which is the profile of many of the Neo Nazi/racist marchers, Klan members, etc.), so they demonize other groups who they believe are "taking over" rather than trying to use that energy to address their own shortcomings; or

-They are entitled and spoiled and just had things handed to them and never had to actually work for anything, so they feel that the way to achieve "justice" is to be destructive and throw temper tantrums (which reaches an extreme when they supposedly become an "adult"- at least in the legal sense of the word) rather than do something that gives them any credibility.

-The trait that both profiles have in common is they have way too much idle time on their hands and don't actually have to deal with responsibility, which is why you see what you see that's not pretty.

It also will be interesting to see if these folks are locals or coming into the area from a good distance, like the fool from Ohio who ran the people in Charlottesville over. It's bad enough if they're local, but that really speaks to the "too much idle time on their hands" and perhaps shows even more malicious intent to go to the trouble to drive hours from out of state to create this kind of mayhem.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-14-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 07:52 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying harder View Post
The scene is reminiscent of when Iraqis pulled down the statue of Saddam Hussein.
No, they had a good reason for getting rid of a murderous dictator, and his family, and his army.
I was thinking more about when Al Qaeda blew up monuments in Iran from thousands of years ago, precious, ancient human heritage. Also when ISIS pulverized the entire contents of Iraqi museums filled with priceless antiquities all in the name of a rabid religion.

The lesson of the old memorials, to me was, if you fight the good fight because you believe in something, even in defeat you should be remembered as a man of integrity because you fought with honor. You protected your homeland as best as you knew how.

The lesson this current activity around the country teaches is to destroy your enemies with no compromise.

So why today do we protect so much native american memorabilia when they lost the whole country, not just a part of it? Give it all back to the reservations where the losers live today. Get rid of all the Indian place names and borrowed traditions.
Why do Puerto Ricans treasure their Spanish heritage? Tear down all those traditions of the Hispanic losers! We beat the crap out of Spain back in 1898. Dump all that stuff in the Gulf of Mexico and ban any Spanish flags.
And of course all the founding Fathers owned slaves, except maybe Franklin, so dump all that CPAP in the Atlantic Ocean where it came from.
I'm not angry, but very disappointed in the American education system that failed to teach appreciation for the past.
And no, I am not a rabid white guy. The radical violent right wing is fomenting violence for their own ends which have nothing to do with the statues and place names we cherish today. That is a classic straw man logical fallacy.
"I'm shutting up now and will not watch the news tonight"

Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with this very much. As an observation, I've noticed a profile of people who get involved in this kind of destructive behavior, regardless of whether extremism goes from "far left" to "far right" ideology that crosses the line into destructive, criminal behavior:

-They are typically underachievers, undereducated, or underemployed/unemployed (which is the profile of many of the Neo Nazi/racist marchers, Klan members, etc.), so they demonize other groups who they believe are "taking over" rather than trying to use that energy to address their own shortcomings; or

-They are entitled and spoiled and just had things handed to them and never had to actually work for anything, so they feel that the way to achieve "justice" is to be destructive and throw temper tantrums (which reaches an extreme when they supposedly become an "adult"- at least in the legal sense of the word) rather than do something that gives them any credibility.

-The trait that both profiles have in common is they have way too much idle time on their hands and don't actually have to deal with responsibility, which is why you see what you see that's not pretty.

It also will be interesting to see if these folks are locals or coming into the area from a good distance, like the fool from Ohio who ran the people in Charlottesville over. It's bad enough if they're local, but that really speaks to the "too much idle time on their hands" and perhaps shows even more malicious intent to go to the trouble to drive hours from out of state to create this kind of mayhem.
Don't forget one side of the violent extremists gets lauded in social media and main stream media and the other condemned. Hammer and sickles and antifa anarchy signs are consistent in counter protester riots yet in the news it's nothing but old ladies

Last edited by hey_guy; 08-14-2017 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
I do not understand law enforcement allowing destruction of property. They knew this was coming. The TV stations showed the statue last night and said protesters are coming to Durham tomorrow. The rule is law enforcement is allowing this to occur all over US. Stand back and watch. Police hands are tied!
Law enforcement was on hand to make sure things remained peaceful. They made the (IMO) wise decision that trying to physically stop them from removing the statue would do more harm than good.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:20 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I was at the peaceful vigil in Durham Sunday night. This group started a chant on the edge of the main group and said they were going to march to the Confederate monument and for anyone interested to follow them. They did then march off to the statue chanting. There were only about 50 folks in the group. The majority of the vigil back at CCB Bull Durham plaza (including old ladies) were listening to the speakers, lighting candles, and peacefully singing "We Shall Overcome".

Old 08-14-2017, 08:22 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Law enforcement was on hand to make sure things remained peaceful. They made the (IMO) wise decision that trying to physically stop them from removing the statue would do more harm than good.
I didn't realize destroying public property, spitting on it, kicking it, was peaceful.

I get what you're saying though. There was nothing they can do. I feel horrible for the police.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
Just a matter of time, but it's in the national news:

Confederate statue toppled in North Carolina during protest | Fox News

Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 PM

530 posts, read 637,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I didn't realize destroying public property, spitting on it, kicking it, was peaceful.
Not for the statue! But no one was hurt, no other public property was damage. As far as an illegal act of vandalism goes it remained an orderly affair.

And so far Durham's city council seems perfectly fine with it.

https://twitter.com/JillianDURM/stat...47441002446848

https://twitter.com/CharlieReece/sta...71157975416834

Old 08-14-2017, 08:50 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
I am just embarassed I've lived here 23 years and never knew it was there. Why in Durham of all places hadn't it been taken down by the town council?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary