Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 07:15 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Those monuments were installed in the early-mid 1900s to intimidate black people.
I understand why you believe that, but I always believed they were erected in the early 1900's because so many veterans were aging out and dying during this period. These monuments started going up to honor those veterans. I have a personal connection to these memorials, but I'm fine with removing them because this is best thing to do. They don't need to be destroyed though. They need to be handled with respect, and moved to a museum. Just wondering, are there Civil War memorials to honor Union vets?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
The law will slap them on the wrist- if they do anything at all.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:24 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I understand why you believe that, but I always believed they were erected in the early 1900's because so many veterans were aging out and dying during this period. These monuments started going up to honor those veterans. I have a personal connection to these memorials, but I'm fine with removing them because this is best thing to do. They don't need to be destroyed though. They need to be handled with respect, and moved to a museum. Just wondering, are there Civil War memorials to honor Union vets?
Yes, it appears there are some Union monuments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_memorials

Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
WRAL is reporting two more arrests in connection with this incident

Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Yes, it appears there are some Union monuments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._and_memorials
OK, thanks.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:37 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
A lot of this is about lost cause attitude and not a desire to intimidate blacks but cast or re-cast the confederate army in a positive light

You could say it was about the veterans and the obligation to honor war dead
You could say it was about taking pride post reconstruction and the human desire to not see themselves negatively
You could say it was about emergent jim crow attitudes

Truth is it was probably all of these and other reasons

Ultimately I don't see these as monuments to racism but lost cause monuments and trying to make statements about the south retaining virtue and integrity through that terrible war

The sad truth southerners do have to own up to is if you're raised under lost cause slavery is seen as an after thought or inconvenience but on the other side its fundamental wrong to act like anyone in the civil war fought to preserve slavery. In many ways we are looking back with our modern eyes and making judgments.

To me the biggest loss would be to lose this historical complexity and nuance but on the other hand public spaces are for modern people and not ghosts and should conform to our standards which is why these relics belong in memorial grounds

Old 08-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Neither here nor there but the confederacy was like a religious fundamentalist republic and politicians like Jefferson David did things like point out slavery was protected in the constitution and found in the Bible to justify its existence (sound familiar lol)

Slavery was an American institution and the south was the last region holding the bag for its continuance and its politicians decided to fall on the sword of it and felt like it was necessary to its economic survival

I only mention this stuff to say the actual history of the civil war as read by the words and deeds of people put into context we can learn about our past and who we are. When we paint them with simplistic modern arguments we do ourselves a disservice

Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Hmm not saying your wrong but at least we agree intimidating black people not found

I can understand having a problem with DoC and they definitely go beyond solemn rememberance. But let's get away from this idea people are round a about buying marble statutes as some indirect way to intimidate blacks.
Was that the case for every single Confederate monument/statue that was erected? No. But when you examine the historical record and observe those spikes in the erection of Confederate monuments as well as the naming of schools after Confederate figures in the 1950's, you have to have your head in the sand to not see what the real intent was.

My argument is that these statues do not deserve a place of prominence in our most cherished public spaces.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why do people keep saying they were installed to intimidate black people? That statute was installed by daughters of confederacy. A charitable organization. Go to their website does it say "we want to intimidate black people"

As was said vets were alive in the 20th century

Why is the idea then these counties which sent soldiers to fight that they would have a memorial so foreign to you?

Online news is very biased please think twice before absorbing what you hear and repeating it as fact
You can intimidate black people and honor the Confederacy in one fell swoop, though.

Sure, the Daughters of the Confederacy put in some statues. Why does an organization like that even exist?

The Confederate Army lost. The Confederate States were re-integrated into the Union. Honoring the men who served in the Army as individuals is fine. Honoring the Army is essentially saying their goal (keeping slaves) was good.

It was not.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Was that the case for every single Confederate monument/statue that was erected? No. But when you examine the historical record and observe those spikes in the erection of Confederate monuments as well as the naming of schools after Confederate figures in the 1950's, you have to have your head in the sand to not see what the real intent was.
Correlation does not equal causation it's obvious Jim Crow supporters like the confederacy but that doesn't mean every monument is tainted nor has malicious intent

Look at southern flags in the 60s everyone had some form of the stars and bars in it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary