Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:28 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

Besides, you're forgetting that this was set off by an ALT-RIGHT rally.
... and they have every right to rally. Nobody had the right to attack them.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:29 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Yep. Nikki Haley saved her political career by getting the flag removed in Columbia and things snowballed from there.
It's getting worse, if hertfordshire refuses to see that, it's on him.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
The Left's removing and illegally attacking of statues they dislike is their answer to Trump winning the Presidency.
They're like spoiled children - stomping their feet, screeching, basically throwing tantrums (especially millennials who've never been told 'no' until now). There's not much they can do about the outcome of the election, so they're going to go after statues ... I blame law enforcement (or lack of) in Durham for allowing this. They should have been physically stopped and it's only going to embolden them to keep acting out.
The next statues are going to be of WWI, WWII, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, etc.
Sorry, but that is an ignorant (and factually incorrect) comment.

"The Left" are the people who advocated for the Holocaust Museum, so to say that we want to erase history is incorrect. We are actually the ones who want to preserve it, and ACKNOWLEDGE it, so it does not repeated.

I have said, and will repeat, that I don't agree with the way this monument was taken down, and I think (actually KNOW) that the people who did it broke the law, and should therefore be subject to the penalty.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:

Ummmmmm ... who was driving the car??

Old 08-15-2017, 12:50 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Nobody did attack them. They left their designated and approved area to attack their counter protesters, who ALSO had the right to have their voice heard.

Your argument is only correct if applied to the Alt Right demonstrators, as they are the only ones who tried to squash anyone's rights, and they are the only ones who perpetrated unprovoked violence on that day.

Yes, ONLY. Any violence by the counter-protesters was provoked. Maybe they would have initiated violence if given the chance, but we'll never know that, because it was not allowed to play out.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:27 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
While I generally support the rule of war and oppose destruction of property, I hope a Durham County jury nullifies this charge. Honorary government symbols of white supremacy and any other type of oppression and bigotry need to be toppled and don't deserve the protection of the law.
Then is it okay for me and everyone else to destroy any monument, property or symbol that we don't agree with ???
Is everything fair game or just the things you feel don't deserve the protection of the law ???

Old 08-15-2017, 01:41 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Also what i find hilarious is the vast majority of those protesters looked to be white...
Hilarious? I mean, white people invented white supremacy; they should be the ones responsible for tearing down its symbols.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12
Also what i find hilarious is the vast majority of those protesters looked to be white...
You didn't look very close then. It was a very mixed group. The person who climbed up the statue and put the rope around him was of color. There were white people there, too, but it was a very mixed group.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 PM

353 posts, read 458,474 times
Well, I'm from Maryland so I have no personal attachment to these statues or anything of the sort. But I don't think mobs can be roaming around destroying public property. I just heard on the news that there could be felony charges brought against the people involved.

Aaaaand the first arrest has been made

http://abc11.com/politics/deputies-a...tatue/2309889/

Last edited by metalhead0043; 08-15-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
I'm not fond of destruction of other people's property.

I'm also not fond of statues that honor the Confederacy, unless they're in cemeteries, museums, or in other types of exhibitions (history battlefields, etc).

All that said, I'm disturbed by the tactics deployed by the far-left and the far-right organizations that have garnered national attention lately.

I'm a left-leaning moderate who is liberal on social issues, though. I just don't think violence is the answer to most problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary