Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:56 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times

Advertisements

I think this thread explains why the "bring your dog to work two days a week" program at my RTP based employer hasn't exactly been a success (especially compared to our other locations in the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I think this thread explains why the "bring your dog to work two days a week" program at my RTP based employer hasn't exactly been a success (especially compared to our other locations in the US).
Yeah... that was pretty popular out in NorCal.

I think it would be popular here if more people had closed offices instead of cubes and open spaces.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:18 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Do you have a source for your claim that Home Depot does not allow dogs? I tried to look it up, and my results were inconclusive, but the best I could tell is there is no corporate policy to support your claim, and that it's decided at the store level. But you are the one who made the claim, can you cite your source? (I can't stand people who blatantly ignore rules, but before I let my blood boil, I want to make sure the rules are what I think they are.)

While I am a person who does NOT bring my dogs many places, other than leashed walks around the neighborhood, I think that what is REALLY out of control is people being so concerned with what other people do. If people want to bring their dogs to a hardware store, WHO CARES? I am just thankful that my life has enough substance that someone else taking joy in something different than my joy is not enough to bring me down. I get people not wanting dogs in grocery stores, and I get people not wanting them in restaurants that don't have a policy that explicitly welcomes them. Otherwise, it just seems silly, petty, and rather shallow to me that people get so bent out of shape because someone else values different enjoyment.

Sorry to rant, but after you cite the corporate policy on dogs at Home Depot, can someone, anyone, explain to me why people get so upset about other people taking their dogs to a hardware store? (and FWIW, you are entitled to your opinion about when a dog is cute or not, but nobody really cares. If a place welcomes the pooches, then your only option is to take your business elsewhere.)

Me: If I'm going to get upset about something, it will be idiots who leave their dog in a car, or who bring them out to summer events where it's nearly 100f outside, or to fireworks celebrations where the dogs are terrified of the noise. Now THAT is something to get riled up about.
Yes, I have a source. I took this picture this morning. It is the entrance to the Home Depot in Wake Forest. The same Home Depot where people constantly bring in their dogs.

And I'll tell you why it upsets me. Keep in mind my opinion is based on experiences. And again, I have no problem with people bringing dogs to places that allow them. However, it's been my experience that every time I'm in a store such as this HD I would be standing there minding my own business looking at a part and here comes a person with their dog. Instead of the person controlling the dog the dog is pulling on the leash and will walk up to me to sniff. The owner will just look at me with this stupid smile thinking it's okay because their dog is the greatest dog ever. I'm sorry but I don't want to pet your dog nor do I want your dog to be sniffing my leg. I want to get my part and leave.

But it goes deeper than that. Almost every encounter I've had with dogs in stores that don't allow them the dog is out of control (pulling on the leash is an example of a dog who's out of control. If the owner was the alpha the dog wouldn't feel the need to take control). Usually a dog's training (or lack thereof) is a direct reflection of the owner which tells me the owner is just as care-free and basically does what they want. And I apologize if I find it rude and disrespectful and simply not okay to not give a crap about others by simply doing what you want and bringing in your dog into a store which doesn't allow them is a prime example of this. This type of not giving a crap attitude is running rampant in today's society and I find it disheartening. Do I yell and scream at the person and run to tattle to the manager? No. I simply give the owner a look and they walk away. But I shouldn't have to do that. Show respect for others.

With that being said, if HD allowed dogs in their store would I bring my yellow English Lab with me? Absolutely. He goes everywhere with me. When we vacation we go to spots which are dog-friendly. In fact, he was with me this morning when I snapped the picture. But he stayed in the car. (And no, before someone wants to make an accusation I don't take him with me and leave him in the car when I know I'm going to actually go in to a store. I'm one of those responsible pet owners believe it or not.) [/rant]

Old 08-23-2017, 08:02 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Back to topic. I actually attended both shows at The Cary. The theater separated patrons with dogs from those without dogs by using the ground floor seating for those with dogs, and the upper seating for those without dogs. This worked well.

For the first group of films, I'd estimate 85% of the theater seats were taken, nearly all of the seats in the doggie allowed section were occupied. Maybe 50-60 dogs, large and small, most accompanied by two humans. With only two exceptions that I saw (both golden retrivers), all the dogs were well trained and under control.

By the second show, only about 25 dogs. I don't know if they had purchased tickets for only one show, or felt it was time to take the excited doggies home for a nap.

Most interesting (at least to me) was how many dogs reacted to the big screen. If a dog was up on that screen, certain dogs clearly reacted by barking, wagging their tail or just getting generally more excited. This was particularly true when the screen dogs were running or barking. It was kinda fascinating to watch the same dogs react over and over in the same way to the same screen behavior.

The short films were very entertaining, with a couple of losers and a couple that were outstanding and downright memorable (we go to the movies 2x per week, and I don't say that about many full length movies!) Looked to me like everyone who attended had a great time. If they repeat the event, I'll be there. And if I have a younger, fully trained dog, he/she will be there, too. (my current pup is 14 and would not enjoy this kind of thing anymore)

Those people with the untrained, let's jump on every person we can retrievers - please stay home next year. And please don't bring them to HD, or any patio that allows dogs.
Thanks for the report.

My dogs are sight hounds and they too will get excited at times when a dog is on screen so I know exactly what your talking Barutio. Also, they like horses too.

One of ours is totally fascinated by the Game of Thrones opening sequence as well. When it comes on he will sit up and watch the TV and look around when the sound from the sun overhead shifts to the rear speakers. They also were quite interested in a few episodes of Twin Peaks, probably due to Lynch's insane sound design.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
I liken it very much to places that allowed or disallowed smoking (which I guess is now a non-issue, but a good analogy).
I roll my eyes at people that complain about smokers when they're outside on a patio. I mean, I'm sitting on a patio, on Glenwood avenue (or wherever,) I can smell the exhaust from the diesel delivery truck, the sweaty guy from the running club sitting behind me, the perfume from the overly made up trollop meeting her tinder date, and a cigarette in open air isn't going to get to me. I don't like inside cigarette smoke, but just smelling it outside? Not a big deal.

Similarly with dogs on patios...many people like to take an evening stroll, with their dog, and sit and have a sandwich or a beer. I can't say that I've seen a dog that has been really misbehaving at a patio, or way off leash, etc...

Old 08-23-2017, 10:08 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I can't say that I've seen a dog that has been really misbehaving at a patio, or way off leash, etc...
Sadly, I have. I'm one who does take our dog to pet friendly patio's, but he has passed his AKC Canine Good Citizen test. I would not have a dog that was untrained.

I have seen people on patio's letting their dog's go over to the other tables to beg for food.
I have seen them allow their dogs to poop on the pavement, then have the audacity to just tell the server and assume they will pick it up. (How much you wanna bet that they did not leave an extra tip for this 'service')
I have seen the owners set down their food plate to let the dog have the leftovers or lick the gravy. In their own home, they can do whatever they want - but any of this behavior is completely unacceptable in a restaurant.

And yes, I have told people to keep their dog under control when they let it wander around and bother my dog.

These dog owners are just rude, stupid, feel entitled or oblivious to the rest of the world. Personally, I don't think they should be dog owners.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:17 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
I roll my eyes at people that complain about smokers when they're outside on a patio. I mean, I'm sitting on a patio, on Glenwood avenue (or wherever,) I can smell the exhaust from the diesel delivery truck, the sweaty guy from the running club sitting behind me, the perfume from the overly made up trollop meeting her tinder date, and a cigarette in open air isn't going to get to me. I don't like inside cigarette smoke, but just smelling it outside? Not a big deal.
Smoking on a patio can drift and be quite intense 20-30 ft away.
Sometimes it drifts off & sometimes it doesn't like campfire smoke.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:02 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Yes, I have a source. I took this picture this morning. It is the entrance to the Home Depot in Wake Forest. The same Home Depot where people constantly bring in their dogs.

And I'll tell you why it upsets me. Keep in mind my opinion is based on experiences. And again, I have no problem with people bringing dogs to places that allow them. However, it's been my experience that every time I'm in a store such as this HD I would be standing there minding my own business looking at a part and here comes a person with their dog. Instead of the person controlling the dog the dog is pulling on the leash and will walk up to me to sniff. The owner will just look at me with this stupid smile thinking it's okay because their dog is the greatest dog ever. I'm sorry but I don't want to pet your dog nor do I want your dog to be sniffing my leg. I want to get my part and leave.

But it goes deeper than that. Almost every encounter I've had with dogs in stores that don't allow them the dog is out of control (pulling on the leash is an example of a dog who's out of control. If the owner was the alpha the dog wouldn't feel the need to take control). Usually a dog's training (or lack thereof) is a direct reflection of the owner which tells me the owner is just as care-free and basically does what they want. And I apologize if I find it rude and disrespectful and simply not okay to not give a crap about others by simply doing what you want and bringing in your dog into a store which doesn't allow them is a prime example of this. This type of not giving a crap attitude is running rampant in today's society and I find it disheartening. Do I yell and scream at the person and run to tattle to the manager? No. I simply give the owner a look and they walk away. But I shouldn't have to do that. Show respect for others.

With that being said, if HD allowed dogs in their store would I bring my yellow English Lab with me? Absolutely. He goes everywhere with me. When we vacation we go to spots which are dog-friendly. In fact, he was with me this morning when I snapped the picture. But he stayed in the car. (And no, before someone wants to make an accusation I don't take him with me and leave him in the car when I know I'm going to actually go in to a store. I'm one of those responsible pet owners believe it or not.) [/rant]

The examples you gave upset me too. If you know my posting history on dogs, I'd agree with most of what you said. Not to be toooooo argumentative, but your source for the HD policy seems to be at the store level. I looked and could not find a corporate policy. I found a lot of non HD sites (dog friendly, of course) that said it's decided at the store level.

But yeah, if you're in a store that has a no dog policy, then you have every right to not want to experience dogs, and really don't have to justify it further.

Quote:

Similarly with dogs on patios...many people like to take an evening stroll, with their dog, and sit and have a sandwich or a beer. I can't say that I've seen a dog that has been really misbehaving at a patio, or way off leash, etc...
^^^Unless it's a non-smoking patio. My daughter has life-long lung issues (CF), and just like my dog response, if I sit down in a place that has no-smoking policy, I expect it to be followed. If I go to a place that allows it, then I have zero complaints, my options are to stay, or to go.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Apparently this is a thing in London!
https://www.facebook.com/BBCLondon/v...0214770020213/

Old 08-28-2017, 02:24 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
^^^Unless it's a non-smoking patio. My daughter has life-long lung issues (CF), and just like my dog response, if I sit down in a place that has no-smoking policy, I expect it to be followed. If I go to a place that allows it, then I have zero complaints, my options are to stay, or to go.
To that point, have you found many places that allow smoking on a non-smoking patio? Or dog's where they aren't supposed to have dogs?

I will admit that I did sit at Mellow Mushroom with my dog on the patio one night, but we were the only people out there, and it was late, and I asked the manager if it was ok first. I don't think it would have flown during the dinner rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary