Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:01 AM

203 posts, read 327,597 times

Advertisements

Young drivers are the biggest risks on the road. In order to keep premuims affordable for everyone else, companies need to make sure they charge enough for the risk they pose. Even though they may be away at college without their own vehicle they can easily drive someone else's. I work in insurance and I've seen families lose their homes and everything they've worked for because their teenage driver caused a horrific accident and their liability limits were exhausted. When you have a young driver it's always a good idea to carry high liability limits so you don't get sued if they seriously injure someone on the road. No one thinks it will happen to them, but there's a reason why companies charge so much for inexperienced operators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:50 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
If you're an adult with a clean driving record and don't own a car, the cost of insurance would be extremely nominal.
It would be even cheaper not to have to buy it. Insurance follows the car, not the person, so if you rent a car you can insure that car for the trip. If you lend me your car, your insurance is insuring the car, and me as your permissive driver.

It is a stupid law especially since NC seems to have no real procedure for keeping up with whether people are insured or not. I see it every week, someone hands over their insurance card at an accident, call their company, policy cancelled but DMV has no clue. In other states your policy cancels and DMV knows about it that day. NC wants to try to have its cake and eat it too because they are so wishy-washy with the actual enforcement of insurance. Instead of just making sure licensed drivers have insurance when they are 16 they should be enforcing that people actually KEEP their insurance and are punished with a suspension as soon as it lapses.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:01 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It would be even cheaper not to have to buy it. Insurance follows the car, not the person, so if you rent a car you can insure that car for the trip. If you lend me your car, your insurance is insuring the car, and me as your permissive driver.

It is a stupid law especially since NC seems to have no real procedure for keeping up with whether people are insured or not. I see it every week, someone hands over their insurance card at an accident, call their company, policy cancelled but DMV has no clue. In other states your policy cancels and DMV knows about it that day. NC wants to try to have its cake and eat it too because they are so wishy-washy with the actual enforcement of insurance. Instead of just making sure licensed drivers have insurance when they are 16 they should be enforcing that people actually KEEP their insurance and are punished with a suspension as soon as it lapses.
Yeah, NC sucks doesn't it? Noo Yawk is so much bettah!!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:20 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
Not to mention there are so many people out there driving with no licence and no insurance

The only "silver lining" about keeping him insured is that after 3 years, the rates will go down. Otherwise you'd just be prolonging the 3 years.
My 2nd teenager gets his licence in October and my daughter's will go down in 1 more year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary