Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:17 AM

51 posts, read 75,709 times

Advertisements

""the distractions that we have seen, the constant drumbeat of the same issues over and over again, while ignoring and undermining the good work that has been done, take the excitement and passion out of this amazing journey."

With 2,000 jobs on way to Wake County, Infosys CEO resigns :: WRAL.com

Translation: After being able to exploit blatant flaws in the H1B visa system that allowed us to import lots of mediocre workers for peanuts at the expense of American jobs over the last 30 years, the proposed H1B changes sound like they might require real work, presenting challenges that would make it difficult for me to continue to live the lifestyle I've become accustomed to. Working hard is not my passion. Therefore I shall pack up my toys and go home, leaving my messes for others to clean up. I would like to say upon departure, that being an overpaid do nothing CEO is great, and I highly recommend it to others. Now pardon me I need to go count my nest eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
another view:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1427...-in-limbo.html

Old 08-20-2017, 06:05 PM

346 posts, read 338,890 times
You know when I think Infosys, I think wage depressing cheaper labor. I could be wrong but that is what they used to stand for

Old 08-20-2017, 11:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
To be fair, Vishal Sikka was well liked and respected when he was SAP CTO prior to that and I'd probably agree that he's more of a CTO than CEO material. I honestly have no idea why did he join Infosys. It's nothing but a bodyshop, there is no way for him to change that culture and it doesn't look like the rest of the board is actually interested in changing it.

I doubt they are affected by any H1B "crackdown". First, they likely already have all the workers they need. Second, if they have offices in India they can use much less regulated L visas. And they don't even have to bring the people to the US as a lot of work just gets outsourced.

H1B visa has a prevailing wage requirement, so "for peanuts" is simply not true btw.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
To be fair, Vishal Sikka was well liked and respected when he was SAP CTO prior to that and I'd probably agree that he's more of a CTO than CEO material. I honestly have no idea why did he join Infosys. It's nothing but a bodyshop, there is no way for him to change that culture and it doesn't look like the rest of the board is actually interested in changing it.
While I admit my "translation" was mostly for entertainment purposes, even if Sikka is a good guy and a CTO turned reluctant but evil CEO lured in by the allure of fancy job titles, the bottom line is he knew what the company was about before accepting the fancy title, and I cannot respect anyone who supported or was a part of the scam that was the former exploitation of the H1B system, either on the demand side for scam labor or on the supply side like Sikka who provided it.

Quote:
I doubt they are affected by any H1B "crackdown". First, they likely already have all the workers they need. Second, if they have offices in India they can use much less regulated L visas. And they don't even have to bring the people to the US as a lot of work just gets outsourced.
Nonsense, sounds like someone has been taking an extended nap here. Infosys is one of the more prominent companies that admittedly is getting their world rocked by H1B changes. Read the news please.

“In the fast-changing world of today, we need the ability to be local. We need to be trusted by our customers as being local,” said chief executive officer Vishal Sikka in an interview from Indiana.

Infosys to hire 10,000 US workers after Donald Trump targets H1B visas - Livemint

Infosys CEO Vishal Sikka fights off fatigue to remake Indian outsourcing - Livemint

Quote:
H1B visa has a prevailing wage requirement, so "for peanuts" is simply not true btw.
Yes but that wage requirement is being more than doubled! The threshold that was set decades ago was not updated, and this is part of what led to the abuse of H1B visas. While its true some H1B workers earned a decent wage, the only incentive for most companies to hire H1B at all was to fill a chair with a warm body at flea market rates.

Anyone who has been looking at the actual visa applications from local employers know that the crooks on both sides of this equation were hiring technology professionals with dubious qualifications and poor communications skills at salaries like 50k or 60k, pushing skilled and educated American workers out of the market, not to mention causing the collapse of so many companies due to poor quality work created by the pursuit of cheap labor.

At least moving forward, when a foreign worker meets a need that cannot be filled by an existing US worker, companies will have the option of looking overseas and paying a little more (sponsorship + the same salary they would pay the US worker because the wage requirement has increased). Not only that, companies that have an honest need for this supplemental labor will actually be able to fill these positions, and won't have their request blocked because companies who have an efficient exploitation pipeline exhausted all of the applications and there are no more slots available.

The changes are good for everyone except the companies that abused this prior.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
"Nonsens" is assuming that greedy corporations suddenly come to their senses and start hiring American workers and paying them huge salaries if only we somehow crack down on work visas. The jobs have already been shipped to India, China and Mexico.

I don't know where you work but I'm in IT and it's been going on for a while. Just look at the job ads for senior IT positions - almost every post requires to work with offshore teams. This "crackdown" is at least 10 years too late.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
"Nonsens" is assuming that greedy corporations suddenly come to their senses and start hiring American workers and paying them huge salaries if only we somehow crack down on work visas. The jobs have already been shipped to India, China and Mexico.

I don't know where you work but I'm in IT and it's been going on for a while. Just look at the job ads for senior IT positions - almost every post requires to work with offshore teams. This "crackdown" is at least 10 years too late.
Off shoring for IT positions has been going on for a long time. The pendulum has already started to swing in the other direction, though, as organizations have realized that lowest hourly rate does not always translate to the best business value. Right-shoring, best-shoring..call it what you want but it was already happening before Trump, and Trump's policy on all of this is moving toward heavily penalizing US based companies that do not put a priority on keeping their jobs at home. Most companies that have been in business for a while have realized the true cost of off-shoring by now. It will start with the move of manufacturing jobs to the US (already happening, Apple for example), and all related white collar positions will follow.

Off shoring and H1B are different issues entirely though. Trump's policy is not hostile to foreign workers, for example he is increasing allocation of H2B visas. Why? Because a lot of restaurant/hospitality seasonal or temp jobs that US businesses cannot fill with enough qualified labor to operate optimally. But too many highly skilled Americans have lost their jobs or been forced into retirement or to change careers due to abuse of the H1B program. Its not that the H1B program is not needed, it's just that it was being abused. That needs to change.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
Off shoring for IT positions has been going on for a long time. The pendulum has already started to swing in the other direction, though, as organizations have realized that lowest hourly rate does not always translate to the best business value. Right-shoring, best-shoring..call it what you want but it was already happening before Trump, and Trump's policy on all of this is moving toward heavily penalizing US based companies that do not put a priority on keeping their jobs at home. Most companies that have been in business for a while have realized the true cost of off-shoring by now. It will start with the move of manufacturing jobs to the US (already happening, Apple for example), and all related white collar positions will follow.

Off shoring and H1B are different issues entirely though. Trump's policy is not hostile to foreign workers, for example he is increasing allocation of H2B visas. Why? Because a lot of restaurant/hospitality seasonal or temp jobs that US businesses cannot fill with enough qualified labor to operate optimally. But too many highly skilled Americans have lost their jobs or been forced into retirement or to change careers due to abuse of the H1B program. Its not that the H1B program is not needed, it's just that it was being abused. That needs to change.
Apple is not moving their manufacturing business to the US. Why would you think they'd do this? They may have factories that do specific types of work here (prototyping and building some more complex modules and so forth), but iPhones will still be cranked out in China.

No way could anyone afford one if it was built here. Unless you filled the factory with HB2 folks who are willing to work for less than they can make picking crops, cleaning hotel rooms, or working in kitchens.

Which I doubt.

Apple put a billion in an advanced manufacturing fund. That does not mean they'll make iPhones here. My money is on whatever car they come up with.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:54 AM

138 posts, read 119,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglalki View Post
It will start with the move of manufacturing jobs to the US (already happening, Apple for example), and all related white collar positions will follow..
I remember reading that the labor cost is around 2% in making iphones. Most of the work is automated, and the supply chain is optimized near china factories. So, not many jobs will be created if the assembly of phones moved to US. Apple already does assembly in India and Brazil but manufacturing is still done at the chinese factories.

AI/Automation/Robotics will have a much bigger impact on jobs in future. Education/technical skills are going to be critical.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
I remember reading that the labor cost is around 2% in making iphones. Most of the work is automated, and the supply chain is optimized near china factories. So, not many jobs will be created if the assembly of phones moved to US. Apple already does assembly in India and Brazil but manufacturing is still done at the chinese factories.

AI/Automation/Robotics will have a much bigger impact on jobs in future. Education/technical skills are going to be critical.
Supply chain and Apple's relationship with China (which is where they're currently making a fortune selling iPhones) is the reason I doubt they'll move the actual manufacturing of these devices to the US.

I really can see the Apple Car project existing entirely as a US-manufactured process at first, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary