Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 02:36 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,526,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Amica is your property insurance company?

Over 27 years, property & car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 04:15 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,526,522 times
Legacy also included drip edging.

Drip edges are metal sheets, usually shaped like an “L,” installed at the edge of the roof. Also called drip edge flashing or D-metal, they serve a vital function by directing water away from the fascia and into the gutter. Without a drip edge, water may end up beneath the shingles and may cause damage to various parts of the home.

| Posted as an FYI, because I've spotted (while out for a walk) several recent replacement jobs with edging missing.

Last edited by K4GPB; 01-30-2021 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 04:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,310,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Legacy also included drip edging.

Drip edges are metal sheets, usually shaped like an “L,” installed at the edge of the roof. Also called drip edge flashing or D-metal, they serve a vital function by directing water away from the fascia and into the gutter. Without a drip edge, water may end up beneath the shingles and may cause damage to various parts of the home.
Everyone is doing that these days, my company did it as well.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
Back in May a company came knocking on our door, said they wanted to inspect the roof for damage and noticed that our shingles were part of a class action lawsuit. They said they'd inspect for free and let us know what they found. They came down after some time and had taken a lot of pictures, there was quite a bit of damage and other issues.

They helped us get in touch with our insurance company and open a claim. The insurance adjuster came out, knew his stuff, had a contractor with him who went up on the roof with the folks who initially inspected it and they all agreed on the damage.

We ended up having the entire roof replaced for the cost of the deductible on our insurance policy, about $2200. The company who knocked on our door did the roof replacement quickly, professionally and expertly. Can't say enough about them!

If anyone is interested in a referral to these folks PM me and I'll gladly give you their contact info. They are a legit operation, very professional and did everything they said they were going to do.

The entire process from inspection to new roof took about 1 month. The roof removal and installation was 2 days time only.
@Stopgo- came across this thread when looking into roof replacement for storm damage; I’m having trouble PM you because I’m new member; could you PM me with company info that did your roof?

Thanks

Old 02-02-2023, 01:51 PM

186 posts, read 343,534 times
I realize it's a scary world and there is plenty to be wary of, but door to door roofing sales people may not always be bad things.

Like most, it annoys me for someone to knock on my door unannounced, but on the other hand it's how my son got his start in the roofing business here in Raleigh. He was brave enough to knock on a door when he noticed roof damage from the ground. He offered to do a free inspection with pictures and videos to back up his opinions to the folks who were kind enough to give him a chance. When appropriate, he met with their adjustor and helped the homeowner toward a new or repaired roof.

He was polite, honest, and respectful. When someone shooed him away (even unkindly and sometimes down right mean) he immediately left the property with an apology for the bother. I've even seen him spend his own money to make something right with a customer even when it wasn't his fault or responsibility. I raised him well. :-)

Fast forward 4 years, he now owns his own successful roofing company and is known for his honesty and quality work. I'm really proud that he took the chance to knock on a door and used those experiences to build a solid reputation. He no longer has to "door knock" as most jobs come in as referrals. He says he hated knocking on stranger's doors, but that's what it took to get him started...so he did it.

Yes, I'm a proud mom...but more so just making the point that roofing sales people who have the nerve to knock on your door are not all snakes. Some are nice guys willing to work hard to make a living and support their family in an honest "help your neighbor" sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary