Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:58 PM

108 posts, read 203,803 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations or experience for what works best for a high schooler to bring to high school? I hav a rising 9th grader in Wake County. I know that BYOD is going to be frequent in high school, but I'm confused as to what most kids bring (in addition to cell phones which I assume almost all high schoolers will have). Are kids bringing laptops, kindles, or chromebooks? Are those too bulky to lug around? It is my understanding that most schools are doing away with lockers, so obviously security is a concern as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_terp View Post
Any recommendations or experience for what works best for a high schooler to bring to high school? I hav a rising 9th grader in Wake County. I know that BYOD is going to be frequent in high school, but I'm confused as to what most kids bring (in addition to cell phones which I assume almost all high schoolers will have). Are kids bringing laptops, kindles, or chromebooks? Are those too bulky to lug around? It is my understanding that most schools are doing away with lockers, so obviously security is a concern as well. Thanks.
My kids have all only taken their smartphones.

I have one at Green Hope right now who'll be in 11th, one who graduated from Green Hope High in 2016, and one who graduated in 2008 (so he only had a smart phone at school the last year he was there).

My younger two never needed more than their smartphones, except one class I think my daughter took her iPad for some special project a couple of times, but she had it in her backpack the whole time and never let it out of her sight.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:52 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
What are your kids using now? My kids are in middle school and they've used either tablets or chromebooks. We bought refurbished chromebooks and they were cheap enough to not be concerned with losing/breaking them. They have such large backpacks these days that lugging them around is not a big deal.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,424 times
Mine at Green Hope mainly use their smart phones. Every so often they will take a laptop for a particular reason, otherwise just a phone.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My DS uses his smartphone but we got him a laptop to bring this year. For him personally I think it will work better if he needs to type, and he has an IEP that allows him to have teacher's notes and I am hoping that he will use it to follow along that way (but he's not entirely trustworthy in that regard)....but most kids in HS just use a smartphone. I don't think most kids even take a locker. My DS has one at GHHS and has no earthly idea where it is LOL

Old 08-26-2017, 04:55 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_terp View Post
It is my understanding that most schools are doing away with lockers, so obviously security is a concern as well.
This statement makes me feel like an old fart...and I'm only 28!

Old 08-26-2017, 06:24 AM

385 posts, read 348,758 times
My granddaughter just started kindergarten and was notified of BYOD policy. Seems like a lot of responsibility for a child that young. I remember a bunch of bullies that took my recorder, (cheap flute), when I was about that age.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:47 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I would not send a young child with their own device. If the children are doing a task that requires a device, the school has to provide one. That's one of the deals with BYOD. I was always surprised (and dismayed) when the kids would earn a treat and have a "game day" and most of the kids would bring iPods instead of a game to play with a friend.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
What are your kids using now? My kids are in middle school and they've used either tablets or chromebooks. We bought refurbished chromebooks and they were cheap enough to not be concerned with losing/breaking them. They have such large backpacks these days that lugging them around is not a big deal.
My daughter has had a Macbook Air for a few years, plus her iPad. She just never really needs to lug them to school much.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM

108 posts, read 203,803 times
Thanks for all the helpful responses. My daughter has been bringing her phone to middle school, and has an older bulkier laptop at home, and has a kindle. But she was wondering if she needed a lighter laptop (with a keyboard) for taking notes or writing reports. I am resistant to yet another device, but it is a whole new world with education nowadays. From these responses, it seems like she will be fine for now with what she has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary