Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 PM

750 posts, read 853,084 times

Advertisements

Thanks Raleigh Lass. I am indeed that unprepared Brit and frankly the thought of a severe weather event is kind of scarey! I will start planning a few days of no power. I really would rather leave the area if there's going to be a direct hit here though! Thanks for giving me some practical help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 05:31 PM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times
No one needs to be unprepared. These are not first-time never happened before events. Hurricane season is every year; some years there are more hurricanes and some years less, but the items to have on hand and things to do for preparation are consistent. I posted such a list a few days ago. For those in the Triangle, the impact of a big storm tends to be power outages, some localized flooding in certain known areas, downed trees, and occasionally water service is affected.

//www.city-data.com/forum/49394343-post40.html

Old 09-04-2017, 05:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

And, while no meteorologist has committed to a "definite" track, they have said that it is likely it will hit the Carolina.
Source, please. That says "LIKELY TO HIT THE CAROLINAS". And today, not the day after it hits. Because RIGHT NOW, the models I'm seeing show a FL landfall, and have all day. You're either fear mongering or haven't checked the news today, neither of which is good when you're bandying about terms like "likely hit to the Carolinas".

(Your preparation tips were good, but they were fear mongering one week out).

Old 09-04-2017, 05:44 PM

13 posts, read 38,905 times
Latest GFS model-- sorry, unsure how to load it in post:

GFS on Imgur

Basically what the US Weather Service is projecting.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:55 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Source, please. That says "LIKELY TO HIT THE CAROLINAS". And today, not the day after it hits. Because RIGHT NOW, the models I'm seeing show a FL landfall, and have all day. You're either fear mongering or haven't checked the news today, neither of which is good when you're bandying about terms like "likely hit to the Carolinas".

(Your preparation tips were good, but they were fear mongering one week out).
Right - it is completely inaccurate to say it's likely to hit the Carolinas - and completely irresponsible. Come on, now. That could happen, but it's is impossible to say it's even likely with any sort of credibility at this moment.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM

888 posts, read 804,898 times
Does everybody have their hurricane viewing glasses?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:20 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

I am not fear mongering. I was sharing preparation tips.

And, while no meteorologist has committed to a "definite" track, they have said that it is likely it will hit the Carolina.
Do you work for cnn?

Old 09-04-2017, 06:21 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
For those interested, there is a weather forum here on C-D with a hurricane subforum. Of course, Irma is one of the leading threads. There are some knowledgeable weather people on there:

//www.city-data.com/forum/hurri...30-2017-a.html

Old 09-04-2017, 06:35 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
If you look at the extended paths of Irma the models sure show it heading towards NC AFTER landfall. Maybe RaleighLass is talking about that? Look halfway down the page:

Hurricane Irma path update: Latest models reveal Florida threat | Weather | News | Express.co.uk

Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM

13 posts, read 38,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
If you look at the extended paths of Irma the models sure show it heading towards NC AFTER landfall. Maybe RaleighLass is talking about that? Look halfway down the page:

Hurricane Irma path update: Latest models reveal Florida threat | Weather | News | Express.co.uk
That's what I assumed too, and there are enough spaghetti models that have us taking some kind of hit when it turns north (after Florida, in theory).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary