Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:02 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

(BTW, It's ma'am, short for madam, not mamn like d@mn.)
However you want to spell it, our pronunciation sounded like d@mn. If we didn't say it, we got knocked into the next zip code. It was always yes sir no sir, or yes ma'am no ma'am. First name only when addressing an adult was perfectly fine...but not for teachers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 01:16 PM

385 posts, read 348,666 times
Such customs are regional. In the a north, unless you are in big trouble, Sir or Ma'am are reserved for strangers. At first I thought it was creepy here when kids called their fathers sir, like they were a drill Sargent. Then learned it was just normal. Anywhere it is polite to thank someone for holding a door open. But here you must reply "you are welcome".

Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That happened to me at Marbles a few weeks ago at Kick-off to Kindergarten...I must have held the door for 50 people because no one would take it from me as they all obliviously walked through without an acknowledgement. My family had kept walking and wondered what had happened to me...lol.
You do know there is a way to get yourself out of that with no one getting hurt right ???

Old 09-01-2017, 01:30 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't understand why nobody calls adults "Mr./Mrs./Ms LastName" anymore. In our daycare, everything is "Ms. FirstName". I'm excited for the kids to go to kindergarten where they actually refer to the teachers by the last name.
To me, that's too formal and impersonal and antiquated at this time. We use Mr and Mrs <firstname> and I still find it to be polite. We're more into my kids being polite and responding with a "yes" instead of a lazy "yeah".

Old 09-01-2017, 01:39 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
How do you, hey_guy, respond when your wife/girlfriend/partner wants you to do something? Do you say "yes ma'am"? Or do you say, "okay, I'll be glad to" or "sure thing, honey" or whatever? In your home if your partner calls to you from another room in the house, "Hey_guy!", what do you say back to her? That's what I would expect of my kids. I do NOT say "Yes, sir" to my husband and I don't expect that he or anyone should say "yes ma'am" to me. It's way too formal for my life philosophy.

I have just tried to emphasize courtesy and above all kindness with my kids. I don't have to be their drill sergeant and they don't have to salute me. I want them to speak to me with kindness in their tone of voice and don't yell, "NOOOO! EWWWWW! I HATE BROCCOLI!", but instead rephrase it as, "No thanks. I don't care for broccoli." But I don't need a ma'am or sir in there.

I am totally fine with people encouraging their kids to say "ma'am" and "sir" if they want. No judgment here on whatever folks want to do as long as it is loving and kind, but don't judge those of us who don't go in for that either.
when she says "hey_guy" i say "hey_girl!"

I would use a more initimate address to my wife "yes darling"

i see where you're going but my wife and I are peers

I don't expect two children to "yes sir" one another but I"m in my 30s and sir my own father sometimes

i know if you aren't in the habit of saying it a lot it seems weird but if you say it a lot it normalizes.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I asked my 13 year old about this and she said she doesn't know any kids who say "yes ma'am" or "yes sir", even a couple of really country kids she goes to school with in Alamance County, and not her friends in Chapelboro either. I think it's kinda quaint, but not very prevalent any more in the Triangle, which was the original question, right?

I'm not a very do-it-because-I-said-so parent. I take the time to explain why I'm asking them to do something and I always did even when they were little. YMMV.

Last edited by poppydog; 09-01-2017 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I think that when an adult requests it, then the child should be allowed to call the adult by the first name. I was fine with Miss Jennifer when the kids were younger but REALLY hate Ms. Lastname which is what they now do. It is too formal. These are kids I have a close relationship with and hope to have one even when they grow up. I totally agree that as a rule that kids should call adults by their last name unless told otherwise.
Then I would go with Ms. Firstname, until they older.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You do know there is a way to get yourself out of that with no one getting hurt right ???
Like what? I also got stuck in similar situations before when I was left holding door for large groups that just kept walking without even acknowledging my existence. At some point I got tired and literally just said "watch out for the door" and let it go. Fortunately, a gentleman rushed in to grab it. Wandering what other option I had...

As a side note, I'm really grateful for everyone being so kind and polite in this area. And I find "yes, ma'am" adorable, although I don't expect it from my kid. Just be polite in general and kind, always check if someone needs help.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:57 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Last thing I want to do is take out a soon-to-be kindergartener.
Haha fair enough, I didn't realize it was all little ones.

You could have had it be a life lesson. Welcome to the real world kids, life can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, really sneaks up on ya... like this giant door.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
When my daughter was in 6th grade they gave out awards to kids who were exceptionally well behaved. One of them was described by the teacher as being so unbelievably polite, everything is "yes ma'am, no ma'am, I want my son to grow up to be like him".....DD told me later the kid is a total druggies (yes, I said this was in SIXTH GRADE).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: