Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 11:04 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times

Advertisements

Houses without fences.There seems to be so many in the Raleigh area,a lot more without than with.A lot of neighborhoods seem to be majority no fence....

-Do people in the Raleigh area not worry about wildlife walking thru yards?Does Raleigh have a large presence of coyotes and bobcats?The Raleigh metro is so wooded and we love that, but we never anticipated fences not being the norm.What is in the heavily treed,wooded areas would concern us if we did not have a proper fence.

-We would want to install a 6 foot high quality wood fence around any house that we buy.Do people do these kind of fences in the Raleigh area?I have seen a few houses online that we would be interested in with fences.Most of these houses have what could be described as picket fences.Slats that are wide apart and short in height.Do HOAs have continuity standards when they approve fences?For example,houses in Perason Farms in Apex that do have fences run the gamut in style.There is no continuity.We have children and dogs.The thought of not having an actual fence would not be an option for us.

-Are there entire neighborhoods in the Raleigh area wiith houses that have fences?I have yet to see any using google earth after looking at MLS listings.

Last edited by CREW747; 09-02-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 AM

360 posts, read 721,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Houses without fences.There seems to be so many in the Raleigh area,more without than with.A lot of neighborhoods seem to be majority no fence....

-Do people in the Raleigh area not worry about wildlife walking thru yards?Does Raleigh have a large presence of coyotes and bobcats?The Raleigh metro is so wooded and we love that but we never anticipated fences not being the norm.

-We would want to install a 6 foot high quality wood fence around any house that we buy.Do people do these kind of fences in the Raleigh area?I have seen a few houses online that we would be interested in with fences.Most of these houses have what could be described as picket fences.Slats that are wide apart and short in height.Do HOAs have continuity standards when they approve fences?For example,houses in Perason Farms in Apex that do have fences run the gamut in style.There is no continuity.We have children and dogs.The thought of not having an actual fence would not be an option for us.

-Are there entire neighborhoods in the Raleigh area wiith houses that have fences?I have yet to see any using google earth after looking at MLS listings.
A: I haven't seen a coyote or bobcat in the 13 years I've lived here, so I'd say that's not even remotely a concern here.

B: Fences as you want are extremely rare here. What is allowed varies from HOA to HOA. Some are more lenient than others. Just make sure you submit your plans to the HOA prior to doing so or it will most certainly require you to tear it down.

C: None that I'm aware of. A real estate agent on this board might be able to give you a better answer on this.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times
I've seen a coyote in Durham and I'm sure there are more I haven't seen. If I had a small dog or an outdoor cat I'd worry more. A 6-foot fence isn't going to stop a coyote, bobcat, deer, etc. and will block the lovely view of the woods.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Coyotes would only be a concern for small pets left outside at night.

Snakes, deer, coyotes, skunks, raccoons, and foxes
have no problem coming inside a fence, but are very
stealthy and will avoid humans.

We have rabies around also so there is that to watch out for.
A rabid animal won't have its normal fear of humans.
We had an encounter with a rabid raccoon near our house that
required the whole family to get rabies shots.

The best protection is to have kids & pets inside by dark,

Old 09-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
A: I haven't seen a coyote or bobcat in the 13 years I've lived here, so I'd say that's not even remotely a concern here.
You haven't seen coyotes because they are good at not being seen.
They are here, trust me. I saw a pair out near Falls Lake and
one near Strickland Rd & Creedmoor Rd in N Raleigh that had been killed by a car recently.

Just looked up statistics and the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission estimated over 1000
coyotes in & near Wake County last year.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
-We would want to install a 6 foot high quality wood fence around any house that we buy.
Do people do these kind of fences in the Raleigh area?
I suspect that most people would consider that to be an eyesore.
I certainly would.

If you're truly concerned about wildlife intruding...
perhaps you should buy an upper floor condo apartment?

Old 09-02-2017, 12:46 PM

54 posts, read 46,669 times
Quote:
Do people in the Raleigh area not worry about wildlife walking thru yards?
I live on a wooded lot, and just for me personally, I definitely want wildlife wandering through. I don't want to take away their limited supply of grazing/hunting land by putting up a fence. But I've only seen deer, foxes, and raccoons so far. I might feel differently if I had a small child or dog wandering the yard, but I think really dangerous wildlife is pretty rare. I'm most concerned about snakes when my nieces and nephews visit.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
In my unfenced yard ...
deer
raccoons
possums
foxes
snakes, venomous and not
turtles, various types
coyotes
rabbits
squirrels
groundhogs (rarely)
moles
voles
lizards
toads
dogs belonging to neighbors

Oh yes, don't forget the Canada geese which visit every day. They march down the driveway in single file. I've told them, repeatedly, that goose poop is not fertilizer for concrete but they anoint it liberally!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
In my unfenced yard ...
deer
raccoons
possums
foxes
snakes, venomous and not
turtles, various types
coyotes
rabbits
squirrels
groundhogs (rarely)
moles
voles
lizards
toads
dogs belonging to neighbors

Oh yes, don't forget the Canada geese which visit every day. They march down the driveway in single file. I've told them, repeatedly, that goose poop is not fertilizer for concrete but they anoint it liberally!

What ?? No skunks ??

Your yard sounds like ours when I lived near Falls Lake.
I personally loved the wildlife..

We had all of the above as well as hawks, owls & bats.
Probably a few I am leaving out too.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What ?? No skunks ??
No skunks, no chipmunks, and no bears.

You want to list birds? Flying overhead, and sometimes landing:
Belted Kingfisher
Bluebird, Eastern
Blue Jay
Brown Creeper
Brown Thrasher
Bunting, Indigo
Cardinal
Chickadee, Carolina
Chimney Swift
Cowbird
Crow
Dove, Mourning
Duck: Hooded Merganser, Mallard
Eagle, bald
Finch: Gold, House, Purple
Flycatcher, Great Crested
Goose, Canada
Grackle
Gray Catbird
Grosbeak: Blue, Evening, Rose-breasted
Hawk: Red-shoulder, Red-tailed, Sharp-shinned
Heron: Great blue, Green
Hummingbird, Ruby-throated
Junco (Snowbird)
Kinglet, Ruby-crowned
Mockingbird
Nuthatch: Brown-headed, Red-breasted, White-breasted
Owl, Barred
Pine Siskin
Redwing Blackbird
Robin
Scarlet Tanager
Sparrow: English, Fox, White-crowned, White-throated
Titmouse, tufted
Towhee, Eastern
Vulture, Turkey
Warbler: Myrtle, Pine
Woodpecker: Downy, Hairy,
Pileated, Red-bellied, Red-headed
Flicker, Yellow-shafted
Sapsucker, Yellow-bellied
Wood Thrush
Wren, Carolina

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary