Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,000,216 times

Advertisements

Mass transit doesn't sell here, so hopefully we aren't penalized too much for recognizing that fact and being fiscally responsible. Uber fleets and highway infrastructure will soon solve that problem anyway.

Seems like the Northeast and Toronto would be our biggest competitors, but between their high tax rates and the good will afforded by staying in the US, I'd say we've got a good shot if we package it right.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,150,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post

Seems like the Northeast and Toronto would be our biggest competitors, but between their high tax rates and the good will afforded by staying in the US, I'd say we've got a good shot if we package it right.
I agree. With any RFP, there are going to be some requirements that are weighted less than others, and I feel that mass transit will be one of those. If you look at how Raleigh stacks up against other cities in the other categories that are probably weighted more heavily, I'd say we have an advantage over most of the competition.

A lot of people are even saying that it will come down to incentives, but I must also disagree on this point. A company as big, wealthy and powerful as Amazon does not need to rely on incentives to justify moving to a particular location. That strategy works well for companies that are looking to escape the high cost of taxes, land, etc. which Amazon is not.

What it will ultimately come down to is what city does Jeff Bezos feel most comfortable with. From those 5 or 6 cities that best match up with their requirements, he will pick the one that best matches Amazon's culture. That is the bottom line.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 PM

4,553 posts, read 6,375,603 times
There is no way progressive Amazon would locate somewhere without robust public transportation, including at least light rail.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
There is no way progressive Amazon would locate somewhere without robust public transportation, including at least light rail.
If Raleigh can have plans in place to get light rail and commuter rail in place in a 5-10 year period it may address their mass transit concerns.

On the flipside, there is no way Amazon would locate in a city that is not liberal, progressive, and innovative. That alone excludes many cities.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:34 AM

7,185 posts, read 6,769,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
On the flipside, there is no way Amazon would locate in a city that is not liberal, progressive, and innovative. That alone excludes many cities.
The General Assembly alone excludes NC.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:11 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,707,322 times
Quote:
get light rail and commuter rail in place in a 5-10 year period
While I would love this, I do have to say to excuse me while I die of laughter at this happening.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:33 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
Quote:
I agree. With any RFP, there are going to be some requirements that are weighted less than others, and I feel that mass transit will be one of those. If you look at how Raleigh stacks up against other cities in the other categories that are probably weighted more heavily, I'd say we have an advantage over most of the competition.

A lot of people are even saying that it will come down to incentives, but I must also disagree on this point. A company as big, wealthy and powerful as Amazon does not need to rely on incentives to justify moving to a particular location. That strategy works well for companies that are looking to escape the high cost of taxes, land, etc. which Amazon is not.

What it will ultimately come down to is what city does Jeff Bezos feel most comfortable with. From those 5 or 6 cities that best match up with their requirements, he will pick the one that best matches Amazon's culture. That is the bottom line.
Now THAT is hilarious! Did you read the RFP? Under "Key Preferences and Decision Drivers" it says:

"Incentives – Identify incentive programs available for the Project at the state/province and local
levels. Outline the type of incentive (i.e. land, site preparation, tax credits/exemptions, relocation
grants, workforce grants, utility incentives/grants, permitting, and fee reductions) and the amount.
The initial cost and ongoing cost of doing business are critical decision drivers."

This project will receive a HUGE incentive package. You're delusional if you think differently.

And the Triangle has absolutely no chance.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Now THAT is hilarious! Did you read the RFP? Under "Key Preferences and Decision Drivers" it says:

"Incentives – Identify incentive programs available for the Project at the state/province and local
levels. Outline the type of incentive (i.e. land, site preparation, tax credits/exemptions, relocation
grants, workforce grants, utility incentives/grants, permitting, and fee reductions) and the amount.
The initial cost and ongoing cost of doing business are critical decision drivers."

This project will receive a HUGE incentive package. You're delusional if you think differently.

And the Triangle has absolutely no chance.
You're delusional if you think that a company like Amazon is just going to select a city based on the biggest incentives package. Yes, incentives may be a factor, but it is much less of a factor than say, the ability to attract and retain employees to that selected area.

A city like Houston, for example, can present the biggest incentives package, but if that city is not a cultural fit for Amazon, they won't win the prize. That is what i'm trying to say...

I suspect that you think you know more than you actually do.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:40 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,335,361 times
Quote:
You're delusional if you think that a company like Amazon is just going to select a city based on the biggest incentives package. Yes, incentives may be a factor, but it is much less of a factor than say, the ability to attract and retain employees to that selected area.
I didn't say incentives would be the only factor. But, as stated in the RFP, they WILL be a factor. You are the one who said Amazon does not need to rely on incentives...as if they wouldn't even consider them.

And obviously, availability of labor, cultural fit, transportation network, etc. are more important than incentives. But, as in all such situations, there will be multiple sites and cities that Amazon will be comfortable with in regard to those parameters. And milking a huge incentive package will then make the difference.

Quote:
I suspect that you think you know more than you actually do.
I suspect my 30 years experience in economic development makes me know more about this than you.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post

I suspect my 30 years experience in economic development makes me know more about this than you.
You don't even know what my background is, so don't go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.