Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe View Post
People here should be careful what they wish for anyway. They basically sucked the soul out of Seattle and made it the hottest housing market in the country the last few years making it completely unaffordable if you don't work in tech. The middle class has been pushed out of Seattle and they are a big reason why. You don't want them here unless you want to be a corporate slave to the man .
That seems to be every city in the US that has been taken over by big business. It'll be interesting, with all the people moving here for COL/livability reasons, to see if they will want the same things that made where they came from so expensive.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Wouldn't count on that. They created a new fund and have been giving grants from it already. Now, because this won't be located in the sticks, I can see that being an issue, but something will happen. Hopefully they don't bend over like Wisconsin did for Foxconn. It at least these will be good jobs.
I'm sure they won't. But plenty of other places will. Thus, NC won't get it. NC isn't really a fit for this type of facility anyway.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:49 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm sure they won't. But plenty of other places will. Thus, NC won't get it. NC isn't really a fit for this type of facility anyway.
Why wouldnt we be a fit for this? There are already hundreds of similar business on smaller scales here right now.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:08 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "facility"? Their headquarters in South Lake Union are office buildings, not unlike the PNC building or the Wells Fargo Center in downtown Raleigh or that cluster in North Hills. Are you saying we're incapable of dealing with a couple of high rise office towers?

(Incidentally, their "facilities" are a damn sight nicer than anything in downtown right now, not only for the employees but their neighbors and the public as well.)

Old 09-07-2017, 06:54 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
As the "tech talent", personally I would prefer more companies coming here that are on the top employer lists and that treat their employees well.

We already have IBM that is a very large company with all the problems associated with it. They've been in the news few months ago for recalling their work from home policy, which I think is a pretty dumb move these days.

Then there were talks of Infosys, which is, if I can be frank, an Indian bodyshop. Now Amazon. I know people who worked there when the infamous article was printed. I asked them if it was true and they said there was some exaggeration but overall true. It's not a nice place to work at where you feel respected and have good benefits. None of those people I know work for Amazon anymore.

Triangle should be clamoring for good employers or, better yet, support our own future Amazons and Googles IMHO.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
That seems to be every city in the US that has been taken over by big business. It'll be interesting, with all the people moving here for COL/livability reasons, to see if they will want the same things that made where they came from so expensive.
Exactly. People are swarming from the NE in droves and they bring their beliefs and ideas with them. They want a different way of life and low taxes but do things that will push this state to be just like them. Makes no sense at all. Raleigh needs to learn to stop spending money and piling on debt.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Exactly. People are swarming from the NE in droves and they bring their beliefs and ideas with them. They want a different way of life and low taxes but do things that will push this state to be just like them. Makes no sense at all. Raleigh needs to learn to stop spending money and piling on debt.
Why should the Triangle be exempt from increasing population? I'm sure many of the people moving from the NE would be happy to stay in the NE if it was the NE of 50 years ago.

Been there done that - it's no fun when your home becomes so overpopulated and expensive that you no longer want to live there, even if it means leaving your family and friends. You suck it up and you find a better life for yourself and your family.

This is what happens when everyone wants to reproduce like crazy and live til they're 100. Get used to it - it's only going to get worse.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Eastern Wake County (Zebulon is 38 miles or so). To that point, anywhere within Wake County really.
Yep, Land available in Knightdale, Wendell, Zebulon, Wake Forest, RTP, Clayton/Garner.....

Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
As the "tech talent", personally I would prefer more companies coming here that are on the top employer lists and that treat their employees well.

We already have IBM that is a very large company with all the problems associated with it. They've been in the news few months ago for recalling their work from home policy, which I think is a pretty dumb move these days.

Then there were talks of Infosys, which is, if I can be frank, an Indian bodyshop. Now Amazon. I know people who worked there when the infamous article was printed. I asked them if it was true and they said there was some exaggeration but overall true. It's not a nice place to work at where you feel respected and have good benefits. None of those people I know work for Amazon anymore.

Triangle should be clamoring for good employers or, better yet, support our own future Amazons and Googles IMHO.
What is a good employer? Amazon has survived while others doubted it demise back in the vc days of the late 90's. NC has lost other opportunities we should be be rolling out the red carpet and tax incentives to get this.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM

385 posts, read 348,758 times
I once lived in a town that had a ten fold increase in jet traffic within a five year period. Put me in the "I'll pass" column. Realistically, much freight moves in the holds of passenger planes. RDU can't touch ATL or other large cities in that regards. Apologies to my friends in real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary