Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:24 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

It's hard to believe but stores are actually out of bottled water. People must be panicking about the possibility of a bad storm here in the Triangle. On my way home from work today, I stopped at Harris Teeter on Leesville Rd and Strickland in N Raleigh. I really stopped for a rotisserie chicken and salad fixings. I figured I'd buy a case of spring water because I only have about 6 bottles but shockingly, all the bottled water was gone...every brand!

I called my husband and on his way home, he stopped at Costco in Durham - EMPTY shelves there! So he went to another Harris Teeter nearby and they were completely out as well. This is craziness. Anyone else find a scarcity of of things in stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,594,863 times
Yep, I was at the Costco in Apex this morning picking up some food for an event and thought I would grab a case of water...sold out! Crazy! I doubt we will have such an event that everyone needs water. Don't most realize that if you have city water it will still run even if the electricity is out? Looks like all we will be getting is rain and some wind and that is about all. Social media and the internet really puts the panic in people!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
If you're worried about the highly unlikely event of a storm knocking out the water systems in our area (can't remember it ever happening) then just fill up some containers at home before the storm!

Bottled water is terrible for the environment anyway. You're much better off to filter your own city water if you don't like the taste of it straight out of the tap.

You need to prepare for the possibility (not likelihood, but possibility) of being w/o power for a few days. We have a lot of trees. They may fall on power lines in high winds. They could fall through your roof or on your car too so watch where you park and sleep. But water is really not something that we should be having a run on.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,586,937 times
Homes which get water from a private well will have no supply during a power outage (assuming no standby generator).

If you are in this situation consider filling your bathtub on Sunday. Then, if need be, you can use a plastic bucket to transfer water to the toilet tank to ensure normal flushing.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:03 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you're worried about the highly unlikely event of a storm knocking out the water systems in our area (can't remember it ever happening) then just fill up some containers at home before the storm!
I have concerns about water systems during storms. Flood waters can wash out roads taking out water mains. Trees can uproot breaking water lines...especially in yards between the house and street. I always go with a backup...gallon jugs, bottled water, filling tubs and buckets for flushing. You know the old saying. "Two is one...one is none"

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,534 times
Target in North Hills is down to Fiji water and coconut water.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:17 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
The only thing I've seen gone from store shelves is water, there is none anywhere apparently.

They did have Gerber "nursery water" at Walmart but no one was touching it which I found amusing.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:21 PM

332 posts, read 397,884 times
Just when the models are switching away from our area too.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,592 times
Tap water works fine. Fill up a bathtub then boil it if needed. If you are really in life and death situation you will drink toilet bowl water.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:25 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,579,409 times
Worst case scenario - I'll just fill up some water bottles/containers and freeze it.......no need for me to scramble to find bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary