Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:19 AM

5 posts, read 11,661 times

Advertisements

We're about to build, and I'm talking to several banks re: construction to perm loans. Capital bank, BB&T, Suntrust. Anyone with any advice or personal experiences? I have excellent credit, so I'm looking for a mixture of the the best rates, and overall program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:03 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,919 times
I work with First Horizon Home loans a lot. I work with a particular loan officer for a reason, but I don't think we are allowed to say in this forum too much about it as it is sending business to someone and that isn't allowed. Need to think not only about rates but service and reliability... which is why I like the above mentioned company.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:08 AM

403 posts, read 353,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4babs View Post
We're about to build, and I'm talking to several banks re: construction to perm loans. Capital bank, BB&T, Suntrust. Anyone with any advice or personal experiences? I have excellent credit, so I'm looking for a mixture of the the best rates, and overall program.

I have only one piece of advice. DO NOT get anything other than a fixed rate mortgage. You never know what the future may hold, so always stick with a fixed rate. People may give you all kinds of reasons why some sort of adjustable is good................these are the same people losing their homes now.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 AM

212 posts, read 1,017,165 times
Thumbs down First Horizon !!!!!!!!!!!

I used First Horizon for the purchase of my first home a condo. They where the builders recommended mortgage company. I DO NOT recommend them. They don't care about their borrowers. I admit I was very naive at the purchase of my first place and they tricked me into a interest only 5 year ARM with a 80/20 loan. The interest on the 20% loan was ridiculous. I began to get educated on this stuff (After using them) and refinanced the 20% loan (From 13% to 8%). First Horizon immediately sold the 80% loan to another company and it got sold over and over again. Making it hard to keep up with Escrow I ended up getting married and sold the condo a year ago. Thank god! I now have a house and happy with Bank of America that still holds my mortgage. BOA was fair, charge no closing cost and very easy to deal with.

Please take my recommendation Stay far away from First Horizon, Far far away!!!!!!!!!

I'd recommend DNJ mortgage > NoCostMortgage | DNJ Mortgage > Home
Bank Of America
Dave Ramsey recommends > Dave Ramsey Says... (broken link)

I also agree with the other poster stick with 30 or 15 year fixed mortgage.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,665,919 times
Like I said earlier.. you can't mention particular people.. but the loan officer has a lot to do with it... and a buyer should have a buyer's agent to point out these things to a 1st time home buyer. Sorry wrxsti04 had a bad experience. It's not the company, it is the person who didn't care a thing about your situation or care to explain to you about mortgages. (All they cared about was their commission in your instance).

Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,884 times
Default Please be careful about...

any "no name" mortgage companies and the brokers that shop your mortgages. I have had a few clients go with companies they found on Lending Tree and ALL of them had problems with switched rates, hidden costs, etc. The way things are now this is even more important. Always get at least three quotes, one from your own bank, one from a credit union and one from an established mortgage company, preferably one that is a division of a large bank. There are small companies that are wonderful, but it is very hard to know that ahead of time. Ask at least for APR and closing costs. Credit unions do exist for those other than certain employee groups, you just have to pay a small membership fee, usually less than $50. Keep in mind that they are often slower than banks. Give yourself plenty of time! Most mortgage companies do sell their mortgages, though. That is a fact of life, especially now. I tell my clients to be flattered that they are so "desirable".

Old 03-15-2008, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,550 times
Default once you acquire your mortgage pay it off quickly

I just became familiar with a philosoply---strategy which is used in Australia commonly that just makes sence for paying off mortgages very quickly and saving people bundles in interest,

Don't let the mortgage Company bleed you to death on interest

Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I have only one piece of advice. DO NOT get anything other than a fixed rate mortgage. You never know what the future may hold, so always stick with a fixed rate. People may give you all kinds of reasons why some sort of adjustable is good................these are the same people losing their homes now.
Hmmm. I have an 7 year arm I got two years ago and my rate is 5%. We knew we'd be moving within 5 years so a 30 year fixed would be wasting money.

I'm not losing my house and I'm saving money. The people losing houses are more likely those with interest only loans.

People need to do their own research, blanket statements like yours are not true in many cases.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 AM

403 posts, read 353,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Hmmm. I have an 7 year arm I got two years ago and my rate is 5%. We knew we'd be moving within 5 years so a 30 year fixed would be wasting money.

I hope things work out as planned for you. Your adjustable rate is 5%, but one can get a fixed at 5.5% and rest easy.

My point about not knowing what the future holds, is that people can have plans and they don't work out. What then for a person that had a variable rate? They may plan on selling in 3, 5, 7, or 10 years, but what if they don't? What if then, interest rates have risen dramtically and what if their equity did not turn out as planned. I will always stay with a fixed, as I will never be surprised, especially as I never sold when I thought I would in the beginning. I sell when the market dictates.

Best of luck to you, though.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:54 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,525,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
I hope things work out as planned for you. Your adjustable rate is 5%, but one can get a fixed at 5.5% and rest easy.

My point about not knowing what the future holds, is that people can have plans and they don't work out. What then for a person that had a variable rate? They may plan on selling in 3, 5, 7, or 10 years, but what if they don't? What if then, interest rates have risen dramtically and what if their equity did not turn out as planned. I will always stay with a fixed, as I will never be surprised, especially as I never sold when I thought I would in the beginning. I sell when the market dictates.

Best of luck to you, though.
Two years ago you couldn't get 5.5 and I'd refinance now if we weren't moving in a year.

We could afford triple our mortgage rate right now as we have very little debt so if it went up we'd just refinance. If you are someone who lives paycheck to paycheck an adjustable probably wouldn't be a good idea. To pass it off as a bad idea for every situation is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary