Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 04:22 PM

17 posts, read 16,213 times

Advertisements

I am looking to figure out the sex ratio, aka gender ratio, i.e., ratio of men to women, of people in the Triangle area, including information about their ethnicity.

This type of information should be very useful for single persons of ethnicity A who want to meet persons of the opposite sex of their own ethnicity, or maybe they want to meet persons of some other ethnicity B.

But all the statistics that I have found so far either tell us the ethnicity of people, or the sex ratio, but not both together.

Don't need exact numbers, just wanting to get a rough idea before I move here.

Most interested in statistics for people in their fifties.

Any ideas about how I could get this information?

Alternatively, maybe you have some idea from your own experience living here.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm looking for statistics including gender ratio, ethnicity, and age group, all at the same time. I can find statistics for two out of three, but not all three.

Last edited by gonc; 09-09-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,939,113 times
Have you checked census data? They break it down per MSA.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM

683 posts, read 1,879,382 times
There is a lot of variability between the cities in this area. Where exactly are you thinking about moving?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Have you checked census data? They break it down per MSA.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I know you can download large amounts of census data in raw form. Analyzing it is hard -- I would have to load it into some type of database software and then build a relational table and probably write some code.

Was hoping somebody had already done this type of analysis.

Also, I assume the data from the 2010 census is now becoming quite outdated.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
There is a lot of variability between the cities in this area. Where exactly are you thinking about moving?
Not quite decided. Maybe closer to Raleigh. I hope that will not matter too much, since the major cities in the Triangle area are (I believe) within an easy drive of one another outside the peak traffic hours.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:44 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,251,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonc View Post
I know you can download large amounts of census data in raw form. Analyzing it is hard -- I would have to load it into some type of database software and then build a relational table and probably write some code.
You don't need to do it these days. There is software available that can do it for you. Take a look at SAP Lumira or Tableau. They have free trials.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:16 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,854,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonc View Post
Not quite decided. Maybe closer to Raleigh. I hope that will not matter too much, since the major cities in the Triangle area are (I believe) within an easy drive of one another outside the peak traffic hours.
They mostly blend into each geographically. Some towns you cannot tell when you leave one and enter another.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 PM

Success!

It turns out that the census website lets you collate data online.

Below are two bookmarks, the first one for the Raleigh metro area, and the second for the Durham–Chapel Hill metro area. You will need to visit each one on a wide-screen device to view the table of data properly.

The specific data provided here are the count of women and men respectively, in different age groups, tabulated by ethnicity.

In the process of selecting the many tables to get these results, I lost track of when these data were last updated. I think some tables are newer than others. The web page says 2011–2015 but I am not convinced this is exactly correct.

There is a rule here in these forums that links to competitors are not permitted. Both the US Census Bureau and city-data.com provide a lot of the same data, so maybe they are competitors. Or maybe not, as city-data.com doesn't provide these specific data.

Raleigh metro area

https://factfinder.census.gov/bkmk/t...60%7C070%7C071

Durham–Chapel Hill metro area

The Census Bureau's user interface is quite poorly designed. You have to select data from many different tables. You can't just tell them which data you want and let them get it from whichever table has those data. So you end up doing a lot of trial and error just to find the right tables. You have to guess the content of each table from its title.

Then there are many strange behaviors in their website. For example, if you visit one of links I have given you above, and if you bookmark the page that you reach using your web browser's bookmark mechanism, that bookmark will not send you back to the same page. Instead you have to click on a bookmark button on the page and explicitly copy-and-paste that. A properly designed website doesn't make you go to this much effort just to bookmark a page.

If you have too much data in the final result, then you can see the result once; but the resulting bookmark (even if you use their provided bookmark button) won't load the next time you visit it, as their website exceeds some internal limits and gives you an error message. With some trial and effort, I was able to get data using only a subset of attributes to avoid running out of memory. Combinations of more than two ethnicities are missing from the above bookmarked pages for this reason. If somebody identified themselves as belong to three ethnic groups, they will not show up.

Due to the many issues I encountered, I am not sure if the bookmarks I have given above will work for everybody. Try with Google Chrome on a desktop if you have problems in any other environment.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:21 PM

And here is a bookmark for the combined Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary