Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an honest assessment of the American Tobacco Trail in terms of personal safety. I was snookered into running a half-marathon in November which largely takes place on the ATT and I'd like to incorporate a few training runs there in the lead-up to race day.

I can recall several stories over the past few years in which people were accosted (or worse) while on the trail and before I venture out I'd like to find out if anyone has a current perspective to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I would research/google the attacks that have taken place and decide for myself.

Usually when this topic comes up people will comment that they
walk on it and have never had an issue and therefore they think it is safe.
If you want one person experiences as being useful that helps but I would prefer
to know the crimes that are actually happening on this trail.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
It is a long trail and nearly all of the incidents that have occurred in the past have been in the northernmost few miles (mostly the incidents have been indecent exposure, but some muggings as well). I'm out riding the sections south of I-40 very often (multiple times a week) and usually get as far as the Fayetteville Rd crossing once every week or two, and I would not hesitate to use those sections, especially if you are male.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
I used to ride the entire length of the trail back and forth from Durham most weekends and never had a problem. Fall weather has me about to get back out that way again. Can't wait for that breezy beautiful trail life.

If you want to be ultra paranoid I guess you could stick with the section south of I-40, but meh just use your best judgement. Crime can happen anywhere.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,729 times
The trail runs through some slightly sketchy areas of Durham, mainly from the crossing with Enterprise St. all the way to Cornwallis Rd. That being said, I wouldn't say the trail is completely unsafe as people use it everyday.

Just pay attention, be aware of your surroundings, and bring a buddy or two and you'll be fine.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times
Don't run solo around fayetville street south point to woodcroft and mlk boluvard no problem

Other direction totally fine

I bike the whole thing regularly

Old 09-12-2017, 05:16 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Don't run solo around fayetville street south point to woodcroft and mlk boluvard no problem

Other direction totally fine

I bike the whole thing regularly
I mostly agree with this. Just don't make yourself the easiest target. Best to be in groups of a few people OR just run on sunny saturday and sundays, when there are a million people out there, and you won't have a problem.

I've often considered taking in a Durham Bulls game and riding bikes in from Cary. Even at night, I'd feel safe in a group of 8-10 people with lights and cell-phones. I (a fairly fit male) would not ride outside of peak hours by myself. 99.9999% of the people who go through there have no problems, but I don't want to invite myself to be "that guy".

Also, yes, most of the crimes happen north of I-40, but I'd be careful anywhere on an isolated trail (ATT, Greenway, etc.) when alone and non-peak hours. I don't live in fear, but general safety is not a bad thing. Don't be that person....

Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 AM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
I'm surprised more people don't go running or biking along the roads/trails of RTP, especially on the weekends. RTP is a ghost town at night and the weekends. Much safer since there's nobody out there on off hours

Old 09-12-2017, 06:18 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
I'm surprised more people don't go running or biking along the roads/trails of RTP, especially on the weekends. RTP is a ghost town at night and the weekends. Much safer since there's nobody out there on off hours
I contend that you are much safer where there are more people. IMO, you are a sitting duck with a target on your back if you are running/riding in a "ghost town".

I apply the same logic to safety when doing more technical mountain-biking where injury is a real risk. If biking alone, I'd much rather be on a populated trail, where someone is likely to roll by and hear my groaning and find my crumpled body, than to be out alone having to wait days for the dogs to come find me. (As I grow older, I do less and less of that kind of biking, and almost always do it with company these days.)

Old 09-12-2017, 07:02 AM

678 posts, read 738,198 times
I've walked home from work at night in RTP, it's safe. You might need a head lamp though when walking on the sidewalks, since it gets really dark. I'm more afraid of the deer and other critters that might pop up, than people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary