U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2006, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
1,064 posts, read 2,459,478 times
Reputation: 427

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the positive/negatives of Granville County?

I always hear about wake county schools being the best, so could you get your kids in the wake county system easily if necessary?

Also, wake forest is split up between wake,granville, & franklin counties. I'm more wondering about if you lived in an outside county in wake forest, and not deep into the center of it?

Otherwise, does anyone know about granville school system?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 11,948,546 times
Reputation: 735
Default I wouldn't send my kid to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Can anyone tell me the positive/negatives of Granville County?

I always hear about wake county schools being the best, so could you get your kids in the wake county system easily if necessary?

Also, wake forest is split up between wake,granville, & franklin counties. I'm more wondering about if you lived in an outside county in wake forest, and not deep into the center of it?

Otherwise, does anyone know about granville school system?

Thanks!
I live in Wake County (Wake Forest actually) and work in Granville County.

I wouldn't send my children to Granville County schools. (When we moved here 3 years ago we looked into it, as housing is so much cheaper up there.)

They are not handling the growth issues they have very well, even if they are building new high schools (which may help, we'll have to see). I've just not been impressed with the recent graduates from GC schools when they come in for interviews. Many of my co-workers do have children in the schools and I see the issues they go through.

Also, this is a more rural area, and many are still leery of newcomers. (Some local papers still have many articles about how the newcomers are 'ruining' their towns.) Your children will be the 'new kid' a lot longer then in Wake County.

Wake County schools just offer many more opportunities in so many ways. (Look into the Magnet schools as well!) When you are looking for housing, you just have to work with your real estate agent to make sure that the house you are buying feeds into the schools you want. We just passed a HUGE bond issue that will help insure that Wake schools stay strong. Yes, they aren't perfect, but no district is.

Also, you can check the Wake County District web site, at http://www.wcpss.net/ . You can check any address for base school assignments.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Desdemona123; 12-08-2006 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Edited for spelling error.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2006, 10:41 AM
 
9,676 posts, read 28,047,631 times
Reputation: 10029
I do not know much about Granville County, but I do recall a story on NPR radio a few months ago that painted a very bleak picture of their school system. As with anything I am sure there are exceptions, but the story did not leave me with a positive impression of their schools. I think you would be much better of in an area that would allow your children to attend a wake county school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
1,064 posts, read 2,459,478 times
Reputation: 427
Ok, thanks for the tips...

It looks like things will run in a theme here...

It seems strange they don't have their schools better together because they are building 4+ bed homes, 3000+ sqft with 1acre+ and that seems geared more to a family than a retirement crowd...

I suspected this would be the answer...

Do you think Franklin County is any better??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2006, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 11,948,546 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Ok, thanks for the tips...

It looks like things will run in a theme here...

It seems strange they don't have their schools better together because they are building 4+ bed homes, 3000+ sqft with 1acre+ and that seems geared more to a family than a retirement crowd...

I suspected this would be the answer...

Do you think Franklin County is any better??
The new homes are very new.....being built because folks heard of the new schools...and let's face it, some people just don't care much about where their kids go to school. It may change in a few years, but they resist change around here...but it has to happen...and I can't see putting your eggs in the same basket hoping it will get better.

Franklin County, I don't know much about. Anothe co-worker just had her son graduate from there last year (currently at NCState) and her daughter graduated a few years before that (currently at NC), and she's said that that district isn't what it used to be and she's glad she has no more coming up through it....but you'd have to really ask someone else for more details.

Is there some reason you are trying to avoid Wake County? (Some folks don't like the reassigments...but if you do your research they aren't too bad. I think they are harder on folks that have lived here all their lives and want connections to the school they went to.)

About the only thing I don't like about Wake Forest in the South Baptist Seminary in town...I like a little more diversity, but I like Wake Forest overall....and Raleigh (North and Downtown) is close enough that there is always something to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Peoria, AZ
1,064 posts, read 2,459,478 times
Reputation: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The new homes are very new.....being built because folks heard of the new schools...and let's face it, some people just don't care much about where their kids go to school. It may change in a few years, but they resist change around here...but it has to happen...and I can't see putting your eggs in the same basket hoping it will get better.

Franklin County, I don't know much about. Anothe co-worker just had her son graduate from there last year (currently at NCState) and her daughter graduated a few years before that (currently at NC), and she's said that that district isn't what it used to be and she's glad she has no more coming up through it....but you'd have to really ask someone else for more details.

Is there some reason you are trying to avoid Wake County? (Some folks don't like the reassigments...but if you do your research they aren't too bad. I think they are harder on folks that have lived here all their lives and want connections to the school they went to.)

About the only thing I don't like about Wake Forest in the South Baptist Seminary in town...I like a little more diversity, but I like Wake Forest overall....and Raleigh (North and Downtown) is close enough that there is always something to do.
No, I am not trying to avoid Wake County at all.

I'm just looking for nice homes with land, not a cloneville subdivision all smooshed together in a treeless grid.

On the lowest end of the spectrum for about the low 300's, I see large new homes with good property in places like Youngville & Wake Forest in Granville/Franklin county... and for the same it costs more in Wake.

I do care about where my kids go to school, so it looks like I will have to stick with Wake and pay a little more for that privelege....

What is bothersome about The Baptist Seminary? I hear alot of people mention that... Is it just creating too much traffic? Or is there some bad element that it brings in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top